Thread: New D5200

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New D5200

Crikey!

it seemed like only yesterday that they brought out the D5100, and already they've got the D5200 ... no new or updated D7100 or D310 or whatever.

So it seems almost certain that the D300 replacement most likely not have this 24Mp sensor, and if not then what?(Fx??)

And as they've already used it in the lower class bodies, they' obviously have something new in store for the D7100(in terms of newly designed sensor) ... and again! .. what?

anyhow, D5200:

39AF point in the D5200 puts it into D7000 territory(I remember the D5100 had only 9 AF points) ....

It'll do 5fps(with a few limitations) .. but 5fps!!! that's near on D7000 specs too.

So it doesn't do native CLS commander mode!

Sounds pretty impressive for a consumer level camera anyhow!
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The focus system surprised me a bit. It does make you wonder where they will take the D300s & D7000.
    There must be a high fps DX with 51AF pt system on the cards ?
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Website
    A Blog of sorts

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's been some early suggestions the 24mp sensor is different from that in the D3200, which in itself surprised many, being a Nikon design and not the existing Sony variant.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the D5200 had a Sony 24MP DX variant but that sends a rather confusing message IMO.

As for headline specs, Nikon continues their recent trend of equalling/out-speccing higher end out-going models (D7000 in this case). But enthusiasts may still be better served with more photo-centric features in the D7000, just as they did when D7000 was introduced when pitted against the D300s at the time.

Also, small and light continues to equal consumer range in Nikon world.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post

As for headline specs, Nikon continues their recent trend of equalling/out-speccing higher end out-going models (D7000 in this case). But enthusiasts may still be better served with more photo-centric features in the D7000, just as they did when D7000 was introduced when pitted against the D300s at the time.

This is a given at this level, whereas the base consumer model will almost certainly still have that 3 or 4fps and more rudimentary focusing system .. but to catchup to the higher end, almost pro level bodies in only a single generational update is surprising.

And then it begs the question .. where are the D7000 and D300s updates going to be geared towards in terms of specs.

This rumoured high FPS Dx semi pro model sounds closer to reality than many of us would expect.

will the D7000 or D300s replacements do 10FPS or so, and what of their focusing systems too.

The other odd angle I see it from, is that of the current model lineup.
    Either Nikon are lazy, or their marketing department are under the influence of halucinogenics(or something).

D300s and D7000 are still current products in the Nikon model range, where the D700 has no finally been dropped, I'd say close to the D600 release, as it was still a current model whilst the D800 was in there as well.
    But with such as cheap body as the D5200 with specs close to the D7000 D300s, apart from the magnesium parts, why would you bother with either of them?
    I can't imagine much demand for either of those two, even before the D5200, but certainly that's hammered home the final nail into each respective coffin.

Nikon have always released models from the 'top down' and now they're doing weird things with their model range.

My problem is: I'm itch'n to push the button on a D800!... but a proper D300s replacement is due any day now.

I'm thinking that if they do this D300s replacement with an Fx sensor that is D800 based(in essence D200/300/700 frame based) with magnesium body and proper controls and so on ....

Do I wait for a bit longer?
    I can afford to wait, I'm in no rush, and I'd love to see a D300s based 24Mp Fx sensor model but with proper Nikon controls and connections(eg. 10 pin connector) ... etc, etc... 10fps would also be nice to see, and dare I say it .. even XQD card based media too!

But what's the chances of that happening?

D300 is becoming annoying now with the quality at elevated ISO's, which I've tended to gravitate towards now.

I've got to say, I'm not a huuuge fan of the D7000/D600 body type. D600 did feel OK in my hand, but I played with a D7000 for a fair while on the weekend, and again i noted it wasn't a body shape that felt naturally comfy in my hand(the grip!).

.. anyhow I can't wait to see what they come out with next.

I think that's 4 bodies now in less than a year!.. I hope this isn't their new model lineup.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New D5200

The D5200 looks like a good mid-range camera, but do they have to have promo photos with that awful-looking 18-55 zoom?

BTW, I can't see Nikon introducing an FX D300 replacement, given the D600 and D800.

Looking at the D5200, I think the next DX will be a D7000 replacement, with 24mp and higher frame rates/buffer sizes and more semi-pro features. I still do not think there will be a D400 (as a D300 replacement).

Regards,
    Rob
    Regards, Rob

D600, AF-S 35mm f1.8G DX, AF-S 50mm f1.8G, AF-S 24-85mm f3.5-4.5G ED VR, AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR, Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Photos: geeoverbar.smugmug.com Software: CS6, Lightroom 4

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon there's plenty of room between the D600 and D800 for say a 24Mp camera but with the body features of a D800/D700/D300.
    There's a large enough price gap between the two(about $1K) to allow a $500 price gap between each model if they do this.

D800 has come down in leaps and bounds in the Grey market sector, and no doubt that the D600 will come down in price even more so, so there's more likely to be a $1500 price gap between the two.

Eeeps of room there for another model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New DX cameras

Seems to me that Nikon has completely messed up their numbering system with the D600.
    The body is much more like a D7000 so it should have been a D8000 or D9000.
    Does this mean that all the future FullFrame cameras will be either D1-9 or D400-900?

What will the numbering be on the D300 successor if there is one?
    D7100, D8000, D9000?
    Last edited by RRRoger; 12-11-2012 at 4:35am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if there's anything nikon has taught us, it is don't read anything into their numbering "system", and that previous model numbers are no guide for future model releases.

D5200 had to have good auto focus to distinguish it from being eaten up at the lower end by mirrorless with hybrid AF. it probably cost them very little to do. i'm surprised they didn't launch the SB400 replacement at the same time.

nikon are refreshing their line up from both ends, which seems smart to me. they now have very strong pro offerings; and interesting propositions on the low end. with high MP count & snazzy colours, these are easy to market and sell. and they will sell well. the prosumer DX bodies will come, but i think the days of the pro DX body is over. the sad part is that we still have massive gaps in the DX lens line up.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=arthurking83;1086042]Crikey!
    So it seems almost certain that the D300 replacement most likely not have this 24Mp sensor, and if not then what?(Fx??)
    QUOTE>>>

It appears to me that there never will be a D400 DX
    With the introduction of the the D700, Nikon started using that body for FX
    and has continued with the D800.

I think you should look for the D7100 to be the next "top of the line" DX camera.
    Nikon might use the 24MP Sensor but probably not hold back any features.
    The body may be slightly larger to accommodate more controls,
    but I never expect to see another DX Sensor in a D1-4 body.
    Last edited by RRRoger; 20-11-2012 at 4:42am.

A royal pain in the bum!
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoger View Post
    but I never expect to see another DX Sensor in a D1-4 body.
    Why would you?

The pro Nikon cameras in the single digit D model range are never going to go back to Dx sensors again.
    That was never a part of the discussion.

But I see no reason to drop the Dx sensor Dxxx range at all.
    As long as the feature set is of a high standard, there is every reason to expect that it woudl sell in the numbers to justify the model range .. even if it is at a price similar to or slightly higher than the D600.

D300 used to be a relevant camera in it's heyday, but technically speaking Nikon no no longer have a competitor to Canon's 7D and Pentax's K5/K5II/K5IIs. D300 is it! .. and it's a dinosaur by comparison.

I believe the market is there, and if the D7100 ends up having the hardware features that the D300/s used to have, then technically it's a D400. The model naming is irrelevant, what's important is the feature set.

D600 is no replacement for the D300, and technically speaking it never will be. Even tho it has a larger sensor and higher pixel count, it has a lower pixel density and there are always those that want or need high pixel densities.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DX is still a far bigger volume seller than FX. So the absence of a high end DX body is certainly surprising.
    If the upgrade path is suppose to be FX for all DX owners I certainly disagree. But the lack of critical DX lenses certainly seem to suggest Nikon thinks so.
    For those that have invested strongly in DX lens (3rd party inclusive) it leaves them little places to go and punish those loyal buyers for their DX choice.

For many, FX simply doesn't offer any critical advantages (with many disadvantage such as bulk and cost) whilst those who need speed and pixel density are left wanting.
    Without going too off topic, just saying I think Nikon really needs a high end DX body. As AK noted, the numbering won't matter be it a D7100, D8000 or whatever (those are more marketing decisions) as long as the specs are up to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canon has already downsized their DX line. The 7D appears to be their top APC Sensor camera.
    The D7000 is nearly equal and better is many ways for less money and it can use almost any Nikkor.
    It is not limited to DX lens.
    If this last year is any hint, the D7100 should be better in every way.
    I do not think Nikon has given up on DX at all.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I don't follow. How has Canon downsized their APS-C line with the 7D, their largest APS-C camera to date. Think u might be thinking of the 1D series which is APS-H, that has merged with their 1Ds FF series.
    Of course we would expect the D7000 successor to be better. The point that's up for debate is how much better? Good enough as a stand-alone flagship for DX or playing second fiddle to FX. Nikon's last DX flagship, the D300/s held its own, from build to speed to AF, features etc. It was the DX version of the D3 basically.
    It's been a long time since then and though a D7000 betters a D300s in many respects, the bar has moved even further in FX hence the argument DX hasn't kept up.
    There's little size/bulk advantage for a DX super tele hence only FX lenses are required there but in the shorter to medium focal length, DX is missing some critical smaller/lighter fast primes and zooms.
    Noone's suggesting Nikon will abandon DX, it'd be financial suicide. But I think their attitude is at least for now, DX for consumers. Everyone upgrade to FX to get serious.
    Not the right strategy IMO.
    A flagship DX (whatever the name) and a few more fast DX primes or zooms will send the right message. FX ain't the holy grail for everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not be surprised if the D7100 will be a combination of D7000 and D300s. The better sensor of the d7000 combined with the better auto-focus of d300s. Only Sony and Samsung seem to have the technology make high megapixel APSC sensors. I think any 24 MP sensor in a Nikon will come from Sony. There is a website (which I can't remember now) which calculates when diffraction becomes significant with different sensors. From memory a 16MP sensor is the highest pixel density on APSC which is not diffraction limited in most normal situations. On full-frame the limit is around 36MP. On medium format I think it is over 100MP. I think thet there is little benefit in going higher than 16MP in APSC unless you use extremely sharp lenses at large apertures.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Sorry I don't follow. How has Canon downsized their APS-C line with the 7D, their largest APS-C camera to date.
    I think that Canon has got rid of the 60D and now has just the 1100D 650D and 7D in APSC (or whatever they call it). ie. they reduced their small sensor line-up by one model. Maybe that's what was meant?

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a surprise. The 24MP sensor in the D5200's made by Toshiba.
    https://chipworks.secure.force.com/c...ate=DetailView
    I wonder if its off the shelf, designed for Nikon or designed by Nikon and fabbed by Toshiba.