User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  8

Thread: Upgrade to D600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade to D600

I am thinking of upgrading from my D90 to a D600 and am seeking your thoughts and suggestions

I haven't sold anything on eBay etc so would prefer to trade in my D90 and a 35mm 1.8 Lens
    to reduce costs as I only need one DSLR camera, got one quote $320 D90 + Lens

Checking D600 prices it ranges from $1900 Gray-market to $2500+ at Melbourne Camera retailers

I'm not totally confidant in gray-market and warranty they offer, nothing went wrong with my D90 but
    I am a pessimist and usually expect the worst
    Chris

- Constructive Feedback Appreciated

My stuff: Nikon D90: 35mm f1.8, 55-200mm f4-5.6G
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and a growing collection of other stuff.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the same with Grey Market for big ticket items. Plus you could get hit with 10% GST.

I searched and searched, and the best price I came up with from an authorised Nikon dealer was from www.ryda.com

And I'm totally rapt in my new D600.

As far as disposing of your D90, I sell a bit on eBay with no problems, although my K5 has gone 'missing' in the mail and is being investigated.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade to D600

I would not buy such a new model camera grey. There is already talk of oil on sensor probs with the D600. You need Nikon warranty should this or anything else effect you. Once the model is a year or so old and initial manufacturing problems are sorted, I would and have bought bodies grey without issue.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I was in the same situation as you a few weeks ago. I have a D90 + Nikon 35mm f1.8G. I ended up keeping them as my backup. Seriously D90 is a work horse, the battery life is unbelievable...
    I have upgraded from a D90 to D600 and I cant be more happy with my decision. I am sure by now you know the pros and cons so I would not be talking about it at all.
    But, about buying it local or overseas, I strongly suggest buying it locally as quite a few people have issues with oil/spots on the sensor but personally, I have not experienced that.
    You can read more in flickr, group name 'd600 club' and read the discusssion/thread.

Also, please check with your local store if they actually offer 2 years local Nikon Warranty. Not all stores offer 2 years so please speak to them about it. I know Michael Camera do offer two years and I have dealt with them before.
    If you are keen, pm me and I can send you more info about who I spoke to and the price offerred by Michael Camera.

Good luck, how exciting!!!

- - - Updated - - -

And dont forget there are hidden charges with a few grey sellers, when you are about to pay you get surcharges ~2-5% when you pay with CC or Paypal, for example DWI.
    Last edited by monsters; 05-11-2012 at 7:29pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, without opening a can of worms --- the 35mm F/1.8 lens is a real gem and should be worth at least $150.00 secondhand on its own. A good D90 ( they didn't make a bad one ) should sell for reasonable figures better than your trade in prices are suggesting so I would look at the market more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by monsters View Post
    Also, please check with your local store if they actually offer 2 years local Nikon Warranty. Not all stores offer 2 years so please speak to them about it. I know Michael Camera do offer two years and I have dealt with them before.
    monsters, the 2 year warranty is offered entirely by Nikon Aus on items bought from authorised Nikon dealers in this country and is available simply by registering the purchase at the "my nikon life" web site. It has nothing to do with individual dealers.
    Last edited by I @ M; 05-11-2012 at 7:36pm.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    Chris, without opening a can of worms --- the 35mm F/1.8 lens is a real gem and should be worth at least $150.00 secondhand on its own. A good D90 ( they didn't make a bad one ) should sell for reasonable figures better than your trade in prices are suggesting so I would look at the market more closely.
    Andrew

I was offered $200 for D90 which I do think is not enough and $120 for the 35mm Lens

But I have looked around a bit and some of the prices I have seen for 2nd hand D90's were
    ridiculous, so maybe I'll try myself eBay ? maybe.

Thanks for the advice
    Last edited by chrisbevan4; 05-11-2012 at 7:49pm.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really Chris, for the 35mm it is for sale at $155.00 + $49.00 (cheapest option ) shipping new from site sponsor eglobal and they simply do not lose that much value on the S/H market. I paid close to $200.00 (delivered) for a s/h one about 18 months ago from an AP member and it was worth every cent of that to me.

Bodies lose value quicker but the D90 is still one of the most capable bodies going and if yours is in good nick should provide an upgrader / new user with a long service life that would rival some of the newer models at a fair price.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, have a look at this link which is eBay listings for Used D90's. http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/Cameras-/...Condition=3000

It is easy to do a listing. Just open a D90 body only listing, and under the photos is an invite to "Have on to sell? Sell it yourself".

A pre configured listing pops up and you just change whatever and put your personal details in. Easy peasy. And I'd do the same thing with the lens.

If you don't finish at least $200.00 plus in front of the trade-in offer I'll be amazed.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I @ M View Post
    monsters, the 2 year warranty is offered entirely by Nikon Aus on items bought from authorised Nikon dealers in this country and is available simply by registering the purchase at the "my nikon life" web site. It has nothing to do with individual dealers.
    Hi Andrew,

I checked with my local store, and apparently not all (unfortunately). You need to register to get the two years warranty. If you go to mynikonlife page and click to register and read the list of authorised dealer, (link: mynikonlife.com.au/partners/buy-local-buy-peace-of-mind/nikon-australia-authorised-resellers) you can see not all local stores are listed in the there.

Anyhow, to be safe ask the shop first and make sure you get two years warranty

The sales person I spoke to could be wrong. Maybe best is to send Nikon Australia an email or even give them a call
    If I were you, I would as two-year warranty is very good especially for Nikon d600 which is still new.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbevan4 View Post
    Andrew

I was offered $200 for D90 which I do think is not enough and $120 for the 35mm Lens

But I have looked around a bit and some of the prices I have seen for 2nd hand D90's were
    ridiculous, so maybe I'll try myself eBay ? maybe.

Thanks for the advice
    Have you tried Gumtree? $200 for the D90 body is too low, unless it has faulty parts. However, I cant say anything without knowing the condition of your camera and lens.
    But, do look at the prices in gumtree and do a bit of research. In my opinion...if your D90 and 35mm are in mint condition, I would not sell for anything less than $500...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just gone through the same thing. I upgraded my D80 to a D600 and love it.

I would keep the D90 as a backup unless you really really need to money. (I'll buy your D90 body at $200).

I bought from JB Hifi, they are an authorized reseller so I got he two year warranty after registering. I paid $2150 for the camera body on its own. I am picking up a 24-70mm f2.8 tomorrow as a separate purchase. Again, I used JB so I could get the two year warranty. (I also purchase a 50mm 1.4 Sigma two weeks ago from them).

ALso, a grey import may attract the attention of customs and it is not 10%, its actually a little more. Their site has the calculations and there is a duty that is added before the GST is added on. If your package gets caught in customs it can actually cost you more than local (this is what swayed me to buy the lens local)

So my advice is keep the D90 (or sell to me) and go in and haggle and haggle some more. They still made money on the camera. Get the cheaper items from overseas (batteries, wifi adapters etc).

Mick
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea.. Agree with everyone. Your D90 + 35/1.8 should be worth more than $320.
    I also prefer selling local through gumtree. But it can be a pain with non-buyers and spammers. Just make sure you meet in person and cash sale for gumtree .
    Also my personal policy is camera body (especially expensive ones), buy local. Lens, I'm less concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.. And go for the D600. By all accounts it seems to be an excellent all rounder.
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great advice above for you Chris.

Bit more with regard to selling on both Gumtree and eBay which I have done a LOT of. eBay is safer for both parties but costs the seller a lot more. You must offer Paypal as a payment option and if the buyer uses Paypal to pay you, you have 2 fees to pay, eBay and Paypal.

Gumtree is totally free which is great. However as mentioned you can get spammers and dodgy buyers. I would rather have someone pickup the item when using Gumtree, but will post if I'm keen to sell and the buyer will pay my full asking price.

Probably the most important bit of advice I can tell you, if you do post the item to the buyer, obviously don't do it until the full amount has been received by you and you must, must, must, use Registered Post with full insurance and tick the box that gets Australia Post to advise you when the item has been signed for and delivered (add all this cost to the buyers total). That way you don't get the buyer saying where is my item and demanding a refund even though they have actually received it. This has happened to me.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do with your D90 and 35mm.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh.. One last thing. U might consider keeping the 35/1.8 with a D600. The image circle covers FX with mild-moderate vignetting, but at levels I personally can live with. I have a 35/1.8 and occasionally use it on my D700.