Thread: Best way to embed photo links?

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to embed photo links?

Two issues really.

(1) Although I stayed within the max pixel and max file size, I feel my photo was not presented at its sharpest: not as sharp as the one I resized for posting that on my disc. I also reckon that one I posted to flickr was sharper. Any ideas about this? IME if you posted a file that was too _big_ the forum would alter it, but not if it fit the rules.

(2) flickr seems to have cracked down on providing a direct, embedded link to a photo from a forum or other site. Is that true? 4Shared demands a Pro membership before you can direct link. Is there anywhere that still allows direct links?

Thanks for any help.

Just trying....

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r...kooka2port.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. I found Photobucket. That seems to work OK.

however the issue of the images actually posted to the site looking less sharp is still...and issue.
    Last edited by OldNick; 03-11-2012 at 9:39pm.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any photo uploaded direct to AP is not adjusted at all. You have to have it under 1024 pixels on the longest edge and under 250kb. If you try to upload a file that is to big, the forum does not resize it (as you suggest) it just refuses to allow you to upload it in the first place telling you that it is to big. We do not run any changes to the photos.

The only exception to that is Competition entries. As our competitions are anonymous, if you upload a comp entry with EXIF attached, we strip that EXIF data, but we do not touch the image data itself.

Whereas, flickr, photobucket, facebook, etc do have algorithms that adjust the photos and thus the quality, and if you link to one that is to big, the AP site software will resize a linked photo down to the 1024 limit, but it allows members to click that image to view the full sized version.

For linking from Flickr - go to the LIBRARY on our menu, click on HOW DO I, and read the one about Flickr.
    Last edited by ricktas; 04-11-2012 at 8:54am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick, a free drop box account gives you plenty of on line space to link photos from.
    If you upload images to there at the forum allowable size of a max 1024 pixels but do not restrict the file size then your linked will appear on AP exactly the same way as the sized version does on your computer. Like wise, if you attach files directly to AP at the 250 kb size they will appear the same as on your computer.

https://www.dropbox.com/
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    flickr seems to have cracked down on providing a direct, embedded link to a photo from a forum or other site. Is that true?
    Not at all.

Click the 'Share' button above your image on Flickr, and then select 'Grab the HTML/BBCode'.

When I post my images on AP, I link embed the 1,024px ('large') version on Flickr, and link back to the Flickr page hosting the image, as per Flickr's T&Cs.

As for sharpness, I cannot say I have any concerns there. A lot of people have made comments about the sharpness and tones of the Flickr-generated versions of people's original images, but I honestly don't know what the fuss is all about.

To me the only annoyance is that the EXIF data is stripped out of the Flickr-generated images, but I wrote some code to extract the EXIF data from Flickr's database, and I post the EXIF data on AP so that people who are interested in that kind of information can see the equipment and exposure settings I used.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just to add to Xenedis comment about EXIF. If you upload the file to Flickr at 1024 pixels, and then select original when linking, the EXIF should still be intact. Flickr only strip EXIF on resized images, the 'original' should contain it, when linked.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    To me the only annoyance is that the EXIF data is stripped out of the Flickr-generated images, but I wrote some code to extract the EXIF data from Flickr's database, and I post the EXIF data on AP so that people who are interested in that kind of information can see the equipment and exposure settings I used.
    That's not totally true. If you uploaded an image at 1024 x #### onto flicker. Then when choosing to link the original to this site you will get the Exif data. It's only when you choose an non original size, that the data is lost.
    The secret is when you choose "Save for Web" in CS5 or other programs, make sure that all metedata is saved with it.

Exif Test
    by geoffsta, on Flickr
    Last edited by geoffsta; 05-11-2012 at 8:43am.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsta View Post
    That's not totally true.
    It is totally true.

Note that I said that "the EXIF data is stripped out of the Flickr-generated images"; ie, everything other than the original (whatever size that may be).

That's not totally true.The secret is when you choose "Save for Web" in CS5 or other programs
    I never use that option.

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I never use that option.
    I only use flickr for this site, and on occasions show friends. I stick to 900x widest side for normal images, 1024x widest side for panos. I'm not selling my images, so it's not important to have the full size image on display, on the net.
    I try to include the exif for the benifit of members, to help me fix my many stuff ups.

So for the many members like myself, wishing to diplay their images with exif attached. This will give them some idea "How To".

Sorry if I misread your post. I seem to be good at that.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use flickr for this site, and on occasions show friends. I stick to 900x widest side for normal images, 1024x widest side for panos. I'm not selling my images, so it's not important to have the full size image on display, on the net.
    I upload full-size images, but I don't make those available to people. The largest size anyone else can see is 1,024 x 683.

Of course, I have the option of showing the 100%-res image for such purposes as demonstrating lens sharpness, etc.

I try to include the exif for the benifit of members, to help me fix my many stuff ups.
    I always make EXIF data available to others, but I rarely ever look at it when other people do. It's very rare for me to wonder about an exposure setting, and when I do wonder about a shutter speed, it's mostly for very long exposures.
    Last edited by Xenedis; 05-11-2012 at 5:48pm.