Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLOSES TONIGHT: Hard Drive Give-away starts with the Advanced Members

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

CLOSES TONIGHT: Hard Drive Give-away starts with the Advanced Members

The Photo of the Week competition starting on 18th November will be the first of our Prize Competitions.

The competitions will start with the Advanced members and the winner of the Advanced competition
    will receive a Western Digital 750GB USB3 external hard drive.

The Theme for this Advanced member competition is WILDLIFE
    ( animals - non human, birds, etc that are NOT domesticated or zoo/farm animals)
    and here is the TWIST.

Your WILDLIFE entry must have one of the following visible in the entry:

* a Banana
    * a $5 note
    * a wrist watch

*The item cannot be composited in after the photo is taken (ie you cannot blend two or more images to get your entry).
    *The item MUST be visible in the entry.
    *So choose ONE of the items above to include in your WILDLIFE entry.
    *We are giving you over 2 weeks advance notice before the competition opens, so you can have more time to plan and get your entry.

*Only members who were active (ie your account was not inactive) as at 19th October 2012 are eligible to enter
    *Only members who remain active during the duration from 19th October till the competition is over are eligible to enter
    *Any member is deemed inactive if their account was made inactive based on our Inactive Status cycle

All other levels (beginner and intermediate) will also have WILDLIFE as the theme for their competitions, but no prize will be given for those levels and you do not have to include the above items. Your Prize Competitions will be announced soon.

So get ready for your chance to win a Western Digital 750GB USB3 External Hard Drive,

thanks to members supporting the Ausphotography site advertisers and the Ausphotography shop,
    as your support makes these prizes possible.

Any questions about this competition are to be asked in this thread
    Last edited by dbax; 03-11-2012 at 9:19am.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So, Advanced members, what do you think of this idea? Will you be up for the challenge? Are you already planning your entry?

You now have 13 days till the comp opens for entries.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have our thinking caps on, but this one is a HUGE challenge. We don't have much in the way of "wild" life around here, and our lenses are not geared toward it, sadly, but sometimes you can be lucky.

Somehow I think our opportunity came the day before I saw this this thread. Had I known of the Mod's incredible imaginations, I could have posted a shot of a large almost dead brown snake that Tip (our Jack Russell) presented me with . Had I been thinking instead of panicing, I could have dropped a banana on it and photographed it from the safety of the patio. Opprortunity missed (but I have spoken to Tip, and he understands now that I DON'T want gifts of the slithery kind ever again). We have since located another possible snake entry point and cemented it up, because I don't trust the dog to listen to me.

I really look forward to everyone's imagination working overtime, and to seeing the results.
    Di
    Last edited by Tikira; 06-11-2012 at 8:16am.
    D300s and D60. Nikkor 35mm 1.8 & 50mm 1.8, 18-55mm & 55-200mm; Sigma 10-20 F4-5.6; Tamron 90mm, Elements 8
    ...........................................................................................C&C is always welcome......................................................................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it's definately a challenge , Got me thinking straight away, Must admit Rick I have no such images in the Archives So a newy it is , I could get one today but I'll think about a subject a little more , But you can bet I'll have an entry in there somewhere ,Good one guys
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could have been worse I guess.
    Rick could have specified that the animal has to be wearing the wristwatch while buying a banana with the $5 note....
    Matt
    CC always appreciated

My Main Gallery and Even More Pics
    A Blog of sorts

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNQ View Post
    Rick could have specified that the animal has to be wearing the wristwatch while buying a banana with the $5 note....
    Geezzz!!! Don't say that too loud, you'll give him ideas.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNQ View Post
    and if you get that entry..you are probably sure to be in with a chance of winning the hard drive...the challenge is set Matt!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a hoot! I'm looking forward to seeing these pics , cheers Deb

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/ Steve Axford's Avatar
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It limits the choice of wildlife a bit. I'm sure Xenedis would baulk at placing a banana on a wild leopard, or on a hippo. I might resist trying to put a $5 note near a platypus or under a brown snake. In fact few of the wildlife I get to photograph would be ideal for this type of thing. Still, there are some possibilities. Water dragons may like bananas.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have discovered a couple of species that seem to be immune to the yummy goodness of bananas , but I will persist.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, blue tongue lizards like banana.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    FWIW, blue tongue lizards like banana.
    So now we will get 30 entries of blue tongues with bananas...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just sitting around thinking about the possible subjects Rick ( As you do on a Sunday morning ), Would insects be included as "Wildlife" , And of cause , No stuffed Koala's , Or Granny's porcelain birds etc ? Oh, and Rubber Frogs
    Last edited by William; 11-11-2012 at 9:54am.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    Would insects be included as "Wildlife"
    Good kwestchun young fella.

The heading in the thread does say animals or birds which of course are not insects but maybe we need a better definition.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just sitting around thinking about the possible subjects Rick ( As you do on a Sunday morning ), Would insects be included as "Wildlife" , And of cause , No stuffed Koala's , Or Granny's porcelain birds etc ? Oh, and Rubber Frogs
    The mods and I have discussed this and we have decided..no insects. Getting an insect photo to include one of the items would be relatively easy, compared to the wildlife, and this is for Advanced members..we do not want to make it to easy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick and Andrew , Phew my partner had the idea of using bee's We have some flowering Palm Tree type things and the bee's are all over the flowering bits , I was'nt to keen on placing one of the "Twist" objects in amongst them Back to the drawing board

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting close to the start date Wonder how we all are going , Looking forward to seeing the Images , It's amazing what wildlife are interested in Banana's , And not many find the value in a $5 note , None can tell the time

PS : @The mods , Say you did find a Bunyip that was able to wear the watch while eating a banana entering a store with a $5 note , Can the three items be included in the shot ?
    Last edited by William; 16-11-2012 at 2:44pm.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Getting close to the start date Wonder how we all are going , Looking forward to seeing the Images , It's amazing what wildlife are interested in Banana's , And not many find the value in a $5 note , None can tell the time

PS : @The mods , Say you did find a Bunyip that was able to wear the watch while eating a banana entering a store with a $5 note , Can the three items be included in the shot ?
    If you are that lucky, sure! Though from experience finding a bunyip at all, is about as possible as finding a Tasmanian tiger..with or without a wrist watch.
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-11-2012 at 2:52pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Rick Thanks mate , I forgot about Tassie Devils

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get out and get your entry. This competition closes tomorrow evening for entries, and at present we have 3 entries, so the chances of winning the Hard-Drive are good. Let's see some more entries over today and tomorrow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast