User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you use reading glasses when looking through the view finder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you use reading glasses when looking through the view finder?

A quick exchange with Mary Anne prompted me to post up the question, because I have no idea whether or not wearing reading glasses while looking through the viewfinder is a common thing. I wear glasses for reading but not longer vision, which is very good.

I tried it a few weeks ago, because I was wondering whether the eye is focussing on the mirror plane or on the reflected object as if it was the real distance away. I was blown away when the view in my view finder seemed much sharper when I used my reading glasses.

For those who use reading glasses, is it common to use reading glasses through the viewfinder?

Edit, later.

Forget I ever asked that. Read another post about a similar thing (search is wonderful) and from that, went to my camera manual and found a Diopter adjustment thingy. I cannot believe I have had this camera for over 12 months and I just found that. Always learning.
    Last edited by Granville; 01-11-2012 at 5:12pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    A quick exchange with Mary Anne prompted me to post up the question, because I have no idea whether or not wearing reading glasses while looking through the viewfinder is a common thing. I wear glasses for reading but not longer vision, which is very good.

I tried it a few weeks ago, because I was wondering whether the eye is focussing on the mirror plane or on the reflected object as if it was the real distance away. I was blown away when the view in my view finder seemed much sharper when I used my reading glasses.

For those who use reading glasses, is it common to use reading glasses through the viewfinder?

Edit, later.

Forget I ever asked that. Read another post about a similar thing (search is wonderful) and from that, went to my camera manual and found a Diopter adjustment thingy. I cannot believe I have had this camera for over 12 months and I just found that. Always learning.
    Granville. I'm glad you found the dioptre adjuster.

The point is I do wear reading glasses for reading, but not for distance. I also have not needed to change the dioptre setting on the camera, since it is (usually) set for "infinity".

So what did you really mean originally? Is it that "if you wear glasses" at all, especially for distance, do you... (as asked)?

Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't use my wife's camera on anything but autofocus (no liveview) due to her massive dioptre settings. (She's nearly blind in one eye and can't see out the other)

She does love that it's the only time she doesn't have to wear glasses
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    Edit, later.

Glad you did that,'cause I was about to go searching for that thread. It also improved my viewfinder eyesight.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use glasses for reading, but without them, my vision of things further away is also a bit blurry, not totally, but just enough to make peoples faces just that bit out of focus. It is a nightmare for me when trying to make sure the focus is spot on when taking photos, and that is probably why none of mine are clear and sharp. Tried the adjustable diopter dial, but don't think it made that much difference to me personally. One eye is worse than the other, and it is really difficult to use the view finder with glasses on.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    So what did you really mean originally? Is it that "if you wear glasses" at all, especially for distance, do you... (as asked)?

Am.
    I meant, if you wear glasses for reading. I hadn't investigated an further than that.

Some interesting comments here about the diopter adjustment. I'm going bush for 4 days tonight, so I'll have plenty of time to find out how much adjustment is needed and what difference it makes, if any.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL you're not alone. Had my camera for 4 years and only just discovered a depth of field button that I never knew was there. I had got out my manual to find something else and ended up discovering all this stuff I didn't know. Amazing what you learn when you take the time to read that thing called a manual LOL

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An old saying "If at first you don't succeed - read the manual" I wear glasses both for normal vision and stronger ones for reading, I have the dioptre adjusted to my normal glasses but have to switch to my reading glasses to view the shots on the LCD screen, this makes live view useless to me. I also wear slightly different ones for computer use and have no problems. A friend who has multi-vision glasses found them a hindrance and switched to single vision glasses for photography.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for these posts. I am new to photography and I have been disappointed with the focus of most of my shots so far...they seem to look OK at the time but when I get them up on the computer they are a bit fuzzy. I wear multi-focal glasses but do not generally wear my glasses when taking photos. Perhaps this is my issue. I will try the Diopter adjuster.
    Julie

D5200 TLK 300mm Black | AF-S DX 18-55G KIT/TH | AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR | Nikon 50mm f/1.8-D| Tamron SP 150 - 600mm f/5-6.3 | Tamron SP 90mm F/2.8 Di MARCO 1:1 | Manfrotto MT190cx PRO4 Tripod and 327rc2 Joystick Head | Manfrotto MK 393-H Monopod | Circular Polarisers | Eclipse Variable ND Fader |

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use my readers with my camera, I just set the dioptre
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dioptre will not give my enough adjustment,the idea in setting it up is to look at a featureless white wall or clear blue sky,and get the focus screen in focus.

Jack.
    Pentax K5iis, k7 plus lenses from 18mm-600mm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need glasses to read, found the diopter on day one but need the glasses when using live view to focus.
    My stuff.Canon 5DMk11 Canon 40d BG-E2N Canon 17/40 F.4 L
    Canon 400 F5.6 L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the cam on Auto focus , Thats it , Does'nt matter how blury it looks in the Viewfinder , I dont need glasses but I do adjust the Diopter to suit

PS : Focus has nothing to do with what your seeing
    Last edited by William; 09-03-2013 at 10:01pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixy View Post
    My dioptre will not give my enough adjustment,the idea in setting it up is to look at a featureless white wall or clear blue sky,and get the focus screen in focus.
    Jack.
    There is a attachment eye piece that helps that. I.e. the Pentax O-ME53 or the 3rd Paty KPS U-13C Magnifying Eyepiece

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pixy View Post

Jack.
    How can you focus on a featureless wall. There is nothing to focus on?
    Keith.

Ausphotography Veteran Brigitte's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kym View Post
    There is a attachment eye piece that helps that. I.e. the Pentax O-ME53 or the 3rd Paty KPS U-13C Magnifying Eyepiece
    Has anyone used these ? How effective are they?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to use my glasses as the dioptre will not give my enough adjustment, also i have to look at what i am taking a photo of before i take a photo of it.

Axle

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can (just) set the dioptre to my eyes. But without my glasses I cannot see the subject clearly so I keep my glasses on. I only use +1.5 readers for general vision and +3 for reading and viewing the camera LCD screen, for the computer I use +2.75 as these cover all my needs at a cost of under $40 I don't see the need to spend $300+ on prescribed glasses. I have never had much problem using glasses with the viewfinder except occasionally when the sun is at the right angle I have to shade that side but I can remember having the same problem before I wore glasses.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have similar issues but am short sighted so any close work is fine but looking at anything further than 5metres gets blurry. Most recently I was taking night shots trying to capture the Milky Way and was forever flipping my glasses up and down, looking to the sky and then to the camera and back again. Any thing close goes into double vision when wearing my glasses.

Anyone have a solution other than multifocal glasses?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by pixy

Jack.
    How can you focus on a featureless wall. There is nothing to focus on?
    Keith.

Keith,the idea is to have the focus screen in focus,you can look through the fc that will make your eyes adjust to what you are looking at,maybe in focus or out of focus,

if you look at the focus screen and compose, it should be in focus,if you can remember the split screens for focusing, you would look at the screen which was very good for

largetures, small f numbers, this is not as important when using smaller apertures.

When i was rifle shooting with open sights, you would focus on the rear sight in much the same way as looking at the focusing screen

Jack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast