User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  26
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The value in Registering AND Insuring your parcels.

Still in the Circle of Confusion
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried to phone Vermont PO, but being north of the border I didn't realise that the Mexicans had a Public Holiday to celebrate a horse race.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep!..... the horse has bolted!

.... and the last I remember it had a Pentax camera(but no lens) hanging 'round it's neck!

Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    Yep!..... the horse has bolted!

.... and the last I remember it had a Pentax camera(but no lens) hanging 'round it's neck!

Yeah, good onya Artie.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not going to believe the latest chapter in this sad and sorry saga. (A bit of alliteration for some light relief)

I've actually had a call from the gent (?) who signed for the parcel.

He said he remembers opening the box and seeing a CD and a book (that's the way it was packed, with the manual, CD and paperwork, on top of the flap covering the camera) but says he didn't know there was a camera in the box, that's the same shiny box with PENTAX K5 all over it.

As he was more interested in opening his other boxes with their $10.00 pottery pieces in them, he put the box with the $750.00 camera in it to one side. Oh I forgot, he didn't know it had a camera in it. Yeah sure, you @n@l retentive, and I believe you too, honestly, I do.

To keep things tidy, and to make some room, he then put some empty boxes inside one and other, including the nice shiny box with PENTAX K5 all over it, and said he never noticed that this particular 'empty' box weighed approximately 2Kg.

At this point I told him that I found that hard to believe, but he stuck to his story, and in fact re-told it about six times, obviously well rehearsed. I'm not sure whether he was trying to convince me or himself.

Being a good citizen(?), with concerns for our environment, he then put all the 'empty' boxes in his re-cycle bin. Very commendable, you lying, moronic thief.

The bottom line? All of AusPost's stuff-ups could have been rectified had the parcel finished up in the hands of an honest person, but unfortunately that was not to be.

To the dishonest scum bag who has the camera, the pox on you and yours!

Now to do battle with AusPost to get the insurance paid out so I can refund Stefan in full.

I have lodged complaints with two sections of AusPost and the Ombudsman, but I guess that's being rather quixotic.

Cheers

Disappointed Kevin
    Last edited by Cage; 10-11-2012 at 11:11am.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    Now to do battle with AusPost to get the insurance paid out so I can refund Stefan in full.
    As you say Kev, totally unbelievable except to those who have been kept informed as to the progress of the saga.

At this stage I really don't think you should be having to battle Aus post over insurance at all. You still have the unresolved and uncompensated issue of them failing to deliver, wrongfully delivering and allowing the wrong recipient to sign for delivery of your goods without an ID being checked. Those are issues that are not accidental which after all is what insurance is designed to cover.

I still think that further discussion with the ombudsman is the way to go.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you get the police involved?
    Now you know the guy took possession of goods not his he is guilty of theft by finding AKA Fraudulent appropriation.
    I'd have the b*r$tid charged!!

BTW NSW http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fr....5-sec.124+0+N and other states have similar laws.

Given the value of the item I report his details and the whole saga ASAP
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Kim, report the thief to the police and also demand that Auspost take the same route too. For you the refund of the money + expenses may be OK but the person who purchased the camera still has no camera.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    blimey Kev that unreal mate......it beggars belief ...and of course the prats lying
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Andrew...... Yes I agree that there shouldn't be a problem with the insurance claim as their own records clearly show that they have delivered it to the wrong person.

@ Kym & Keith...... Stefan has made a formal complaint to the police, but all they can do is knock on his door and be fed the same crock of sh!t that he tried to feed to me. I'm sure they are not going to rush off and get a search warrant.

It seems in this instance that the bad guy has had a win, but I'm a great believer in Karma, and hopefully what goes round will come round.

Thanks all for your support and concern.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had all manner of issues with AP over the years, one with a softbox I bought from the USA, almost identical to Kev's issue. It was adressed to me in Mount Isa QLD, AP delivered it to Girraween PO in NSW.

I always send anything of value registered Person to Person, so that the addressee must personally sign and insured. I also know that on countless occasions, I have received mail that required a signature (sometimes that of the addressee only no agent allowed) and I haven't been asked to show any ID, simply sign their book...

I think they are the govt dept I hate most right behind the RTA (now Roads & Maratime Services).

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I have had all manner of issues with AP over the years, one with a softbox I bought from the USA, almost identical to Kev's issue. It was adressed to me in Mount Isa QLD, AP delivered it to Girraween PO in NSW.

I always send anything of value registered Person to Person, so that the addressee must personally sign and insured. I also know that on countless occasions, I have received mail that required a signature (sometimes that of the addressee only no agent allowed) and I haven't been asked to show any ID, simply sign their book...

I think they are the govt dept I hate most right behind the RTA (now Roads & Maratime Services).
    Unbelievable Wayne.

At least my parcel went to an adjoining PO.

Yours went to an adjoining state.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    @ Kym & Keith...... Stefan has made a formal complaint to the police, but all they can do is knock on his door and be fed the same crock of sh!t that he tried to feed to me. I'm sure they are not going to rush off and get a search warrant.

It seems in this instance that the bad guy has had a win, but I'm a great believer in Karma, and hopefully what goes round will come round.

Thanks all for your support and concern.

Cheers

Kevin
    This shouldn't make any difference as he signed for it and although admitting he knew it was not for him, failed to return it to the PO. whether he still has it or not shouldn't come into it, it is still theft.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to say "unbelievable", but obviously it has happened. Good luck with it Kevin. I feel your frustration.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The final update (I hope).

This is a copy of a message that I've just sent to Stefan.

Hi Stefan

Today I put my pissed-off hat on and rang AusPost. The poor guy in complaints probably wondered what was happening.

Anyway I settled down and told him the sad story, and he was most helpful in transferring me to 'the back of house' section, AKA 'escalations'.

He took all my details, including verifying the LPO receipt for the postage and insurance, and asked that I send him proof of the transaction, which I did by sending a copy of the PayPal web page with the payment transfer details.

The bottom line is that he said that they will courier me a Money Order, yep, a good old fashioned MO, within three days.

As soon as that arrives I will deposit it, and immediately give you a full refund through your PayPal Account.

It's a shame you will never get to use the camera. I just hope the cops follow up on the lying thief who has it, and find something nefarious in all those parcels he gets from overseas.

Cheers

Kevin
    I feel really sorry for Stefan who is never going to see the camera.

Hopefully, this should be the end of this sad saga.

Cheers

Kevin

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    This shouldn't make any difference as he signed for it and although admitting he knew it was not for him, failed to return it to the PO. whether he still has it or not shouldn't come into it, it is still theft.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    I agree.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a final post to close this thread.

Stefan, the intended recipient of the camera, complained to the local Police, who obtained a Search Warrant, and searched the house of the person who admitted to receiving the camera. Not surprisingly they found nothing. More surprising was that they seemed to believe his story that he unwittingly threw the camera out with the rubbish.

That's a big, black, shiny box with Pentax K5 prominently printed in large letters on it, and weighing about 2Kg. Yeah, sure, I'd believe it too.

Anyway, whatever, AusPost have coughed up with the insurance, Stefan has been refunded in full, and I'm only out of pocket $50.00.

I guess it could have been heaps worse.

I reiterate again, if you are selling on-line, REGISTER AND INSURE your parcels if the value is over $100.00.

Cheers

Kevin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think more to the point don't use AP if the value of your post/Parcel exceeds $0.60c

Glad you only lost lost $50.00.

Not a lawyer but AP comes under federal law not state as far as i am aware. Could be the reason the local police didn't want to persue it.

Kevin
    EOS 600D Body. Canon Lenses EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm, EF-S 50mm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123