Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: 550ex flash with 7D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

550ex flash with 7D

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to get my 550ex speedlite (ETTL only, not ETTL-2) to work off-camera with my 7D. Greatly disappointed that I can't get it to work wirelessly....
    Choice, not chance, determines destiny.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I have a 580Ex mark 1 which works fine with my 7d. I find it a bit bizarre that canon puts the remote trigger stuff in the 'built in flash' menu.
    Have you tried going into the setup in the 7d menus and under built-in-flash-settings/mode (I think) try fiddling around with that and maybe changing from ETTL2 to manual, that way you might be able to trigger the 550ex.
    Just to be sure, you do have the flash in slave mode?

Daniel
    See my work on

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silly question I know, but have you put the 550EX into Slave mode ??
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to those who replied. Turns out that the ETTL in the flash (which is an older model, so original incarnation) does not communicate with the camera. I need a flash with ETTL-II technology to use it as a slave. Oh well, beggers can't be choosers, and I couldn't use it as a slave before.... it just adds a hell of a weight to the camera.......time to save.....must keep an eye on second-hand ETTL-II models (maybe a cheap 580...)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download the manual from here - http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...uresAndManuals

See page 100 - Set the unit to Slave
    Set the pop up flash to Master on the 7D and you should be good to go

The older EX units are still usable with the new hardware, whilst you will only get E-TTL not E-TTLII, it will still work

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you go Cocoajam, any luck getting this to work ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cocojam,

there is a new flash trigger (actually a transciever) made by Yongnuo called the YN-622C. With the 7D , the 550EX can be set on ETTL, M, & Multi.

The Other YN-622C User guide gives details and how to use it Try this link https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B77...FpqNkpBYXBHajA

Malcolm
    Last edited by Alexam; 22-11-2012 at 8:22pm.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex, I think you will find that the Yongnuo triggers are only compatible with the EXII series speedlites

With the exception of the 2 new ones in the line up, the 600EX-RT and the 320 EX

They won't work with the 550EX, 580EX or the 430EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark,
    if you read the compatible table in the guide, it does say that those two will sync .... page 4 .... Partial control (Class 2) at the bottom of the page.

Malcolm
    Last edited by Alexam; 23-11-2012 at 5:11am.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a straight E-TTL off camera flash, yes they will work together, you have NO control over the flash from the camera and cannot shoot manual with the older units. As long as you make the adjustment on the flash you will be able to adjust Flash Exposure Compensation but that is all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark, I'm no expert on these, but just follow what is said in the 'Other YN-622C User Guide' by Clive D Boulton, as stated above. Seems odd that the guide should say that with a 7D, the 580EX will work ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cocoajam, I put your question to Clive Bolton about the 7D and your 550EX and answers came back as follows:

Hi, Malcolm.
    What is meant by "work"? Even a single-contact hotshoe flash can by sync'ed by the 622.

The 550EX handles ETTL II or plain ETTL. It is the camera which determines that. The key distinction between the 550EX/580EX and the 580EX II is that Canon built in more capabilities with the 580EX II.

The 430EX II and 580EX II were designed to handle the new Flash Control menus. This provides functions which are not available on earlier models.

E-TTL itself is available with the 550EX, but not the manual settings. Some E-TTL "wireless" functions are available with the 622C - I use my 550EXs with A:B ratios regularly.

The OP needs to be more specific - unless he has a faulty unit, he should be able to use the 550EX with the 7D and YN-622C: he is doing something wrong.

Further thought. FEC using camera flash control menu, Quick Panel or top button works.

Flash control menus / Manual does not work through the hotshoe because Canon did not design it to do so.

Place the 550EX directly on-camera. Open the Flash Control menus / External flash. Most options are not available. That is because they cannot be, through the hotshoe path.

Using Canon wireless with a full-feature Master (not the popup) and more can be done. The light path is manufactured to handle more instructions.

This is all Canon knowledge; YN 622C just sits on top.

Conjecture - someone coming into this with a 7D may think that the built-in flash when used as Master is full-featured. It is not until they put something like a 580EXII on top as Master that they realise how much more there can be.

I know you were not necessarily looking at triggers/transceivers, but hope that this additional information helps you

Malcolm

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the help guys, sorry not to have replied sooner but have been sick. Clive Bolton is right as I interprut it all. I can still put the 550EX on my hot shoe and I have some basic control though my camera body. Unfortunately the 550EX is a little too old to slave through my new 7D as the software in the camera will apparently only only work with the EX-II technology. I still have the option, as Mark said, of using a remote trigger. Or, I can save up, buy an EX-II speedlight and then use the 550EX as a slave from that.....

Thanks again for you help.