Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSLR replacement with a lower priced DSLR or Compact

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Do you still have the CDs that came with your camera? If so, you have some basic editing tools available to learn with.
    To reduce my typing, check this thread ..... http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...-advice-please
    Hi mark,

thanks for the link ill look at it over the next easy or so..

Unfortunately I don't think I still have the CD that came with the camera. But I'll check..

ATM I use picasa on my PC to organise them... Maybe a little editing but not sure of how good the controls are on picasa.
    Would Lightroom room be an improvement on picasa?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by crafty1tutu View Post
    If I were given the option of a P&S and a DSLR I would choose the DSLR every time. I have purchased three P&S cameras over the last couple of years so I could have one handy for for good photos of grandchildren etc, but I am never happy with the results. The still photos are fine but any action photos are blurry 9 our of 10 photos. Re a DSLR, it depends how much photography and how passionate you are about photography. I see that you have been to the UK and Africa so you are well travelled. We have recently come back from a trip the South Africa where we visited Kruger and Pilanesberg and I took my Canon 50D, Canon 100-400 lens and a Canon 18-200 lens and I know I would never have been happy with a P&S. If you can still use the 300D as you say, I would save for another DSLR and I know from experience, that there is a big difference in quality from the lower end Canon to the upper range. I decided to go mid range with the 50D but after it decided to stop taking photos the day before we left South Africa (thank goodness it was not during the trip), I have now purchased a 7D. I have put my 50D into Canon today for servicing and depending on repair costs, I will keep it as a second camera especially if we travel to Africa again. I found that sometimes the 100-400 zoom was not appropriate, as the animals were too close and it would have been great to have another camera with my 18-200 ready for such occasions. You can also pick up good quality cameras new and used on Fleabay (not sure if you can advertise the real name LOL). I have bought a lot of my equipment on there without any trouble at almost half the price. I hope I am not sounding too pushy as I have trouble explaining what I mean in the right words. You can see some of my photos on Flickr if you wish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8364607...7630565377456/
    hi,

my overseas traveling has stop for the next couple of years as I need to concentrate on others things.. However, I'll hope to do some local travel and will test my camera skills on it.

fleabay can be a hit and miss regarding purchases but thanks for the tip..

nice photos of Africa. Made me look back on some I took years ago... Interesting trip with my 80 year old dad. We visited my brother who was working in Zambia.. Then we went on to the UK. my poor English dad, even though we spent a couple of weeks in Africa, still wanted to spend a wet and miserable day at Whipsnade Zoo. To see the elephants and other attractions... And I think there were at least 6 or 7 other brave hearty souls there that day too. .

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensell21 View Post

Unfortunately I don't think I still have the CD that came with the camera. But I'll check..
    Think this link allows you to download it http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...161.asp?model=
    "Depending on the file, you may be asked to enter the serialnumber"of your camera.

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd let you know that I went on a group car (MG) trip to Mannum on the River Murray in SA..

I took the camera to experiment with.. But unfortunately I found that when I dropped the camera I must have done more damage that I first thought... The shoot button is suppose to be able to half depress so that I can look at what is happening with settings.. It appears that when I touch it takes the photo... No matter have softly that I touch the button.. But I need to check... There isn't a setting that I missed that can change this??? I'm using a battery grip which has some buttons including a shoot which does allow a half press. So I don't think so.

With some difficulty I was able to experiment a little.. But it's a bit awkward... Don't have enough hands.
    I might put up a couple for comment...

I've since decided to purchase a canon S100 which was On Eglobal. I'll use this with the wife until I can work out what new body to end up buying... So if I didn't decide on the 1100D, do I skip the 600 and look at a 60D? Is it that big a step up?

Although I have several lenses, in the long term I was thinking of doing with just one that has a reasonable range... Is there such a beast that will do this or am I opening up a can of worms?

Thanks for all your help so far...

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kensell21 View Post
    ...... do I skip the 600 and look at a 60D? Is it that big a step up?
    Others can tell you why not (could be wrong, but reckon they won't), though I would think the 60D has more to offer. Have you got a retailer nearby that you can go and feel them both in your hands? Can be important, best to be comfortable with your camera.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12