I get ya .. I promise I do!

Technically speaking tho, field of view is not directly related to focal length.

It is in the way we usually think of the topic, as we tend to stick to a single format size.

But if the FOV is what you dislike, then the focal length is basically irrelevant.

ie. 35mm will give you the same FOV on an APS-C camera as a 50mm does on a full frame camera, so 50mm on a crop camera is basically an 85mm like viewpoint(but with greater DOF).

I generally tend to choose lenses on some intricate quality more so that simply the focal length or the FOV it may provide. If the way it draws bokeh is well repsected than I'm immediately interested(read that as a lusting for a 58/1.2 Noct!!) .. and if it can focus extremely closely, then this is a bonus .. if it has a very l;arge aperture and long focal length, again I become interested .. and so forth.

There are a few more 50-ish mm lenses I'm particularly interested in .. one in particular(the 58mm) is at the unobtainable end of the spectrum, and another is a macro lens from many years back waiting for a good copy at a decent price.
I have two 50's already and 3 other lenses that also do 50mm or so at a pinch, and I'm not trying to sell anyone on the 50mm focal length either, but there's more to focal length than just the FOV aspect.
I'm curious if it's the close up FOV or at infinity(or both) that you particularly dislike?

I get ya completely when you say that you find the 50mm focal length FOV on a 35mm frame to be boring, but does this mean that if you end up on a deserted island with a 50mm f/1.2 and a 7D body to survive with, that you won't be totally unhappy?