User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Diffuser for Canon Twin Lite MT-24EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diffuser for Canon Twin Lite MT-24EX

I want to buy a diffuser for my Flash unit (don't want to make one - have tried and not very successful). Looking at the internet, it seems that Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce Diffuser is the only one that will fit it. Has anybody used this diffuser? Only being $40 on line, guess I should just get it and see.

I would appreciate any replies if you have used this diffuser.

Thanks
    Cheers Jan

My Gear - Canon 450D, 7D, 60D. Lens - EF-100mm f/2.8L Macro, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM, EF 400 5.6L, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, kit lens, twin flash, 580 Flash, monopod and tripod. Lots to learn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id suggest trying ago to make your own, cheaper and it will diffuse better if you make one with a larger surface area to the pre made ones

Ive seen results from this diffuser, works well but it is also alot up to the person using it. Best results are at high magnification with mpe 65mm where working distance is 5cm~ if you plan to use it with 100mm macro without tubes, id try to get diffusers as close to the subject as possible
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Fabian. Will have another try at making some as I do have the 100mm macro, and haven't got to use tubes yet. Will put on my thinking cap again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive made some by making trapizoidal prisms with one end fitting perfectly onton the end of the mt24ex head and then the other end can have as big a diffusing area as you like. I use the mpe65mm so smaller working distance so easier to get nice light. If you have an external speedlite you can get an off camera cord for cheap and make a diffuser for that, its easier to hold the flash close to the subject with that setup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me but...

I think the need for diffusers for this flash is overstated. The softness of light is determined by the size of the light source, and for the typical subjects you'd use this flash for, they are very close and very small, relative to the size of the flash heads, even these little ones. What I was trying to so for a while, was remove all specular highlights from insect carapaces, but they are just so shiny, that if you achieve that, your shot has to underexposed.

I use this mostly with the MPE-65mm, that may be why my experience is this way. I have the little sto-fens, but they don't make much difference for me. I've seen them used as a mount on which home-made diffusers can be made.
    Gear monkey and proud. Brisbane.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you, See. If you use a diffuser you just make the problem of reflection worse. It's all to do with optics, which I can't really explain, but there is a very good book called "Light Science and Magic'. Well worth a read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strictfunctor View Post
    If I'm wrong, I hope someone will correct me but...

I think the need for diffusers for this flash is overstated. The softness of light is determined by the size of the light source, and for the typical subjects you'd use this flash for, they are very close and very small, relative to the size of the flash heads, even these little ones. What I was trying to so for a while, was remove all specular highlights from insect carapaces, but they are just so shiny, that if you achieve that, your shot has to underexposed.

I use this mostly with the MPE-65mm, that may be why my experience is this way. I have the little sto-fens, but they don't make much difference for me. I've seen them used as a mount on which home-made diffusers can be made.
    I find that 10cm working distance (1x on mpe) to be too far to get 1, soft light from largish diffusers on the mt24 and 2, get a natural light direction. if you are using at 2-5x it is not such a big problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a white coreflute reflector with a white supermarket shopping bag over the top with some success.

You're likely to find, every situation will need something slightly different to get the right result.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all - seems I am more confused than ever. I actually thought if I turned the flashes away from the bug I would have a sort of diffuser, but can't really decide if this is so.
    i will try to get a copy of Light science and magic. I really appreciate all your thoughts and will study each one in turn.