I've read all the documentation in the "Sticky Threads" in regards to copyright and I think I have a fairly good understanding of it but I woul like to offfer a story in the hope that I have it right...

Party A = Race course photographer
Party B = Sub-contractor to party A who also run her own photographic business, now is official Race course Photographer since Party A retired
Party C = Free-lance to Party A (who has since retired) and now free-lances to Party B

Party B has supplied photographs for Party A from race meets for the past couple years. Party A retires and Party B then takes on the role as the official Racecourse photographer. Party B gets and order from a race that she shot as sub-contractor to Party A but party A believes Party B doesn't have copyright ownership.

Party C has shot for both Party A & B for th couple years. Party C makes it understood that she retains the copyright and although has no real interest in selling the same photos to other parties, maintains the right to use them for competitions and self-promotional activities. Party C receives payment as well as recieving on-going 'royalty' payment if images are used in sold products.

From my understanding, both Party B & C retain ownership of their copyright as the photographs were made for commercial use not a domestic wedding/portrait commission unless an agreement was made in writing by the copyright owner (Party B), also Party A is not a newspaper or other journalistic type publication. . Party A believes they hold ownership of party B images as Party B was a business that was employed by Party A. Party A also believes that Party C retains copyright as they stated they would not give up ownership and never had an agreement in place.

Party C is the proverbial meat in the sandwich but believes Party B still retains the copyright.