Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Where to buy a lens from

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to buy a lens from

Hi All

I have been looking around for prices on a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens but before I spend that amount of money I need to be sure of who I am buying from.

Do you guys think that buying "grey" is the way to go with a lens of this value. Does it have real warranty? Reading the Nikon site, the international warranty is only valid when purchased from an authorized Nikon re-seller so would I get warranty with someone like eGlobal or similar?

Has anyone purchased something of this value and if so what happened with Customs.

All suggestions and experiences appreciated.

Thanks
    Mick

Nikon D600 & D80, 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor, 50mm f1.4 Sigma ,18-135 Nikkor, Kenko Extension Tubes, SB-700 and a few little bits and pieces

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    you will need to ask each grey seller if they are an authorised Nikon seller in their country. some are, some aren't. customs could give attention to your parcel and then you would be up for customs duty plus GST. be aware that customs do not use your invoiced price, they use their own database to adcertain a dollar value and you are charged based on that. so say you bought it for 1200.00 but their database say is is a 2150.00 item, all their cost calculations on what you have to pay are done on 2150.00
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under the impression that the customs duty worked in a similar manner to the RTA valuations for stamp duty (a paid price can be stated and tax is charged based on that so long as it falls within an acceptable price threshold for the item according to the value database, if it significantly lower to avoid tax then the tax is charged at the database's retrieved value)?

At least, this is how I was made to understand it by people working at Mascot.

Buying grey is fine imo. People whine about warranty, but 12 months flies by. Nothing of mine has ever broken, and I wonder what the QC standards are like if people's stuff is breaking within warranty limits.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've this week bought an AF-S 300mm f4 and the AF-S 50mm f1.8G from Cameras Direct on the Gold Coast.

They were maybe 10% dearer than the Hong Kong crew, but their stock is actually in the country, so you don't have the worry of getting stung for another 10% by Customs, plus you have protection under Australian consumer law.

I asked them who would repair my lens under warranty and was told 'Nikon Australia'.

They arrived in 24 hours, they are the genuine article, and I will deal with them again for my next purchase, the 16-35 f4.
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've bought most of my lenses from B&H, which has worked out well because of our dollar against the US dollar. The body came from Hong Kong, I think it was through Digitalrev.
    I can't offer more advice than the other people have in this thread; I'm only pointing out that checking American sites as well as the Hong Kong sites is a good idea.
    Panasonic GH2 --- Pana 7-14mm --- Pana 100-300mm --- Pana f1.7/20mm --- Panaleica f2.8/45mm macro --- Pana 14-45mm
    Canon G10 when I want to pocket it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would also add, I have the sigma 24-70 f2.8 and it is the sharpest lens I own, in fact being sharper than a friends Nikon version. So you could save quite a few $$ by looking at the third party options as well, without compromising on quality.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys

The comments are all appreciated and give me more confidence.

I'll look at the sigma. I just bought a Sigma 50mm f1.4 so I have no problem with which brand, just want best picture quality I can (for the money)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    I've this week bought an AF-S 300mm f4 and the AF-S 50mm f1.8G from Cameras Direct on the Gold Coast.

They were maybe 10% dearer than the Hong Kong crew, but their stock is actually in the country, so you don't have the worry of getting stung for another 10% by Customs, plus you have protection under Australian consumer law.

I asked them who would repair my lens under warranty and was told 'Nikon Australia'.

They arrived in 24 hours, they are the genuine article, and I will deal with them again for my next purchase, the 16-35 f4.

Get all my gear from these guys as well (Well I can drive there), Also dont forget E-Global site sponsors do a good deal as well
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trublubiker View Post
    I've this week bought an AF-S 300mm f4 and the AF-S 50mm f1.8G from Cameras Direct on the Gold Coast
    I have also recently purchased a Nikon 50mm 1.8G and a Blackrapid RS-Sport 2 from them. I'm happy to buy cheaper goods from them given consumer protection under ACL like you said, so it renders any manufacture warranty argument a moot point. I've also dealt with mycamerafocus, a fellow in Perth runs it, where I purchased the SB-910.

That being said, however, I'm going to contradict myself. For expensive items, I will endevour to purchase genuine. 6 months ago I picked up the D800 and Nikon 24-70 2.8 for $3350 and $1680 respectively from JB Hi Fi. At that time the D800 was generally cheaper then going grey (after considering potential GST charges and shipping costs) and the 24-70 price of $1680 is still cheaper than most greys once you've added shipping on.

Now I posted on here a while back that I had problems with my 24-70 (large dust fibres in the lens). Since the problem arose within 60 days of purchase, I was able to simply swap the lens over at JB for a brand new one, no questions asked (they didn't even check to see if the lens was in the box!).

So my thought process is this: expensive glass and bodies, I'll go genuine. Cheap lenses, flashes and accessories I'll go grey, but with a local Australian company for protection under ACL.
    Last edited by Sifor; 28-10-2012 at 9:42pm.
    Cheers, Troy

D800; AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G; AF-S 50mm 1.8G; SB-910; || 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM 'S'; APO Teleconverter 2x DG || Phantom 2; H32D Gimbal; 5.8Ghz FPV LCD GS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great call on the 50mm f/1.4 mate! That was my first lens and I use it the most!

I've never had a problem with grey either.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Sifor - Interesting comment on the 24-70mm f/2.8. I was in JB yesterday ordering the D600 and asked for a price on that lens and it cam ein at 2K. Got the guy to punch in 1600 and it siad no go on teh PDA they use. Prices must have gone up significantly.

I wonder if I could use you as a refernece to get them to price match?

I think Sifor summed up my concerns when purchasing an expensive item and while I can understand it when purchaisng a body, I am not sure if I should be as concerned about a lens. A lens sub 1K I dont think is too much of a concern, but above that I am not sure (hence this thread).

Mick

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be a no-brainer (not sure)

I can buy the lens from say eglobal and it will cost me $1594 if it does not get picked up by customs, if it does then its $1842 (assuming they take the value as being what I paid and not more)

If I go to JB I can get it for <$1800.

So I could save potentially $200 - or it could cost me $50 more. Is it worth it or is it a no brainer and go with JB?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to JB and grab it for $1680 with my receipt?? Honestly, for an extra ~$80 I think genuine is a good idea..

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They wont match that price - the claim the store was selling all its stock to close down hence the price was dropped significantly, but they still did a decent deal ($1795). If I got it for the receipt price I would have said yes with no hesitation at all, but now is a $200 difference.
    Last edited by znelbok; 29-10-2012 at 7:26pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I was given a similar run around. I called three JB stores on the Gold Coast, asking them to price match the lens for $1650. Got knocked back by all of them for a wide range of excuses. I then called up the Mermaid store and was put onto the JB Gold Coast photography "guru" who was no BS, did it for $1680 without even looking at the receipt. I guess some salespeople are just difficult The store's still there too lol they aren't closing..

Anyway, yes your price is still better than the ticketed price. I'd probably still go for it over grey, but that's just my opinion anyway. Hope you enjoy the lens!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just FYI some local Aus store do carry 2 years nikon warranty. I have bought a few lenses from Michael's and I find their price very competitive.

Google mynikonlife.com.au
    It's so hard for me to explain where to find them so I attached a shortcut (sorry mod) mynikonlife.com.au/partners/buy-local-buy-peace-of-mind/nikon-australia-authorised-resellers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine at JB Hifi for 1999.Had it in stock, I didn't feel safe going on line.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone. I decided to stick with JB even though it was more than I wanted to spend.

Cried poor and got a few more dollars off.