Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling images for 'Unlimited' use

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Redgum. If you want to sell your photographs you have to do it at the price the buyer is willing to pay. There is little point in working out that your photo must be worth 1500 if the buyer is willing to pay only 150. Of course you can decide not to sell, but then you will get nothing. I sometimes sell photos, but I much prefer it when a customer offers a price rather than asking "how much do you want"? That always gives me the feeling that they are searching for the lowest possible price.

I think if this happens to me again I will ask them to make me an offer they think is fair and I will say yes or no.

Shore Crawler
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep Steve - that's what I'll be doing next time 'what are you willing to offer'
    I don't feel disadvantaged from this experience at all - I feel that since we both do photography as a hobby and don't NEED to be selling our images to make a living, we can afford learn from experiences before finding a balance between worth and real world value . If said company wanted 10 images at 150 each and wanted future work and photography was our living, that would clearly have been quite an attractive deal though I'd be giving them images that aren't our absolute best.

Redgum, you make pride sound like a bad thing! I think because I take pride in our work and its supposed value, I wouldn't rely on photography to make my living knowing I'd have to make compromises. Is it really stopping amateurs becoming professionals or is it the reason people don't want to make that transition? You make it sound like there are so amateurs out there who actually want to become professional ( I think it's probably a vast minority)
    Last edited by Dylan & Marianne; 27-10-2012 at 11:31am.
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12