Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Pixel Vertax Grip for Canon 5D Mark III

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pixel Vertax Grip for Canon 5D Mark III

Some months ago I bought the above grip on eBay, shortly before it became apparent that there was something wrong with them: excessive battery drain, even in the switched off position. Pixel-Vertax admitted the problem and offered to exchange any malfunctioning grips for free (except the postage to send them back to Hong Kong).
    As I don't use the grip that often I never got round to sending it back and the other day - when I needed it - decided to open it up first to see if there was anything obvious that could cause the drain.
    It appeared that one corner of the PC-board that controls a number of switches and functions showed excessive solder that had not been cleaned off properly after hot air soldering the (surface mounted) components. The solder - in thin air blown strands - covered tracks and components and might have caused shorts or unwanted connections. I cleaned the board and re-assembled the grip. After 48 hours with fully charged batteries the grips does not show any battery drain and works OK.

Just to let you know....

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the Batteries showing any problems?

WW

Account Closed
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grip is still on the camera after 72 hours with the same batteries. About 15 shots taken in the meantime and a number of menu checks on the battery status... Still showing 100% both. So nothing wrong with the batteries (after market models - supposed to be fully compliant with Canon standards).

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Oh!
    Tough, Battle-action Batteries.

WW