User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  12
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who here uses vintage manual lens?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post

This is a format issue, not a lens issue, or am I missing something?
    That's why I'm not mounting them on my 5DII: I'm not keen on the format's crop factor compared to 6*7 (for which my lenses are designed).

I didn't read the rest of your post, you ramble on too much.

Still in the Circle of Confusion Cage's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man from Mona View Post
    That's why I'm not mounting them on my 5DII: I'm not keen on the format's crop factor compared to 6*7 (for which my lenses are designed).

Hi Mate.

I think you need to relax a bit and appreciate other peoples rights to have, and express, an opinion. That is one of the foundations of our democratic society.

This forum is a great place to bounce ideas and theories, right or wrong, off one another. I do believe that the intent of 99% of the posts here is a desire to be helpful.

Chill out a bit and enjoy the ride.

Cheers

Kevin
    Cheers
    Kev

Nikon D810: D600 (Astro Modded): D7200 and 'stuff', lots of 'stuff'

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no problem, that's my style and you either hate it or hate it!
    (I personally prefer it the way I've done it for countless years and posts, so there's another diametrically opposing philosophy we may have).

But I'm assuming that your lack of response to the actual question posed (multiple times), as to whether there is a difference (to FOV or magnification) in mounting a MF 55mm lens(eg. as with your Pentax) compared to a lens of the same focal length specifically designed for the format size itself(as an example a Canon lens) means that there is none, or that you may not have an answer.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I forgot about this forum/thread until I got an email saying I hadn't been here for 45 days.

I can see this place is really active, thread got bumped to second place.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry I forgot about this forum/thread until I got an email saying I hadn't been here for 45 days.

I can see this place is really active, thread got bumped to second place.
    Actually your view of the forums is just that. What you see as second place, is only you. Each members account sees the site based on what they have looked at/not looked at etc. Using cookies the site tracks your usage and thus when you view activity, it is unique to you.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vivitar 105

Hi All,

Happy New Year.
    My macro lens is a Vivitar 105mm f2.5 made by Kiron in 1984 inthe third week and I cannot speak highly enough of it.

Regards,

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon_l34 View Post
    Hi All,

Happy New Year.
    My macro lens is a Vivitar 105mm f2.5 made by Kiron in 1984 inthe third week and I cannot speak highly enough of it.

Regards,
    Ta Gordon, and same to you. Mow, don't waste words singing the praises of that lens. Post a pic-or-two thereform.
    Am (in amticipation).
    CC, Image editing OK.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone here have an 8mm f/3.5 Peleng fisheye (M42 mount)?
    Reviews?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pentax KR and 1.8 50mm lens similar to the one you have at the top, great for portraits and I get nice sharp photos with it. Love this forum, not many people seem to use Kr's and they don't seem to be too bad a camera

A. P's Culinary Indiscriminant
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon_l34 View Post
    Hi All,

Happy New Year.

Regards,
    Mongo bought one of these new quite a few years ago as the age of the lens will imply. Mongo agrees - it was a superb macro/portrait lens. Mongo sold it to another AP member who was/is over the moon with it. Mongo had 4 other macros so one had to go and Mongo already had another 105 macro.
    Nikon and Pentax user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Mongo bought one of these new quite a few years ago as the age of the lens will imply. Mongo agrees ## it was a superb macro/portrait lens. Mongo sold it to another AP member who was/is over the moon with it. Mongo had 4 other macros so one had to go and Mongo already had another 105 macro.
    Hi Mongo,

The Vivitar actually replaced a Tamron 90mm f2.8, ( Ithink that is correct as I am over a thousand kilometers from it at the moment), Adaptall lens that now sits in the dehumidifier, unused, but not unloved!

Regards.

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I shot with Pentax DSLR's up until 2010 when I switched to Nikon, I had quite a few of Pentax's legendary manual focus glass. I had possibly some of their best engineered manual focus lenses like:
    ## The A*200mm f2.8. So smooth to focus so beautifully engineered and crafted, just a lovely piece of glass and one lens I really do regret selling. It was just such a beautiful lens to manually focus, it was just good to sit and turn the focus ring and admire it's beautiful engineering. Absolutely superb IQ.
    ## A50mm f1.2. Another beautiful piece of engineering. Excellent IQ.
    ## A*300mm f4. This lens was in the same vein as the A*200mm f2.8, just a beautiful piece of engineering. Excellent IQ.
    ## A16mm f2.8 Fisheye. Another engineering beauty. Excellent IQ
    ## A100mm f2.8 macro. Another engineering beauty. Excellent IQ.
    ## A50mm f1.4. Another engineering beauty. Excellent IQ.
    ## A100mm f2.8 (non macro) beautifully engineered and very good IQ.

I wish I had the opportunity to be able to get their other two legendary lenses, the A*85mm f1.4 and the A*135mm f1.8 to match my A*200 f2.8, but alas, I could not afford them at the time and the examples that came up for sale were never up to the standard that I would have liked anyway. However, as luck would have it, no sooner than I switched to Nikon, and two superb examples of each lens came up on ebay for "realistic" prices. Unfortunately, I had to pass on them as I had sold off all my Pentax gear. Pentax made some of the best lenses there are, in their heyday, and they still make some superb glass nowadays. Their range of "A" K mount lenses and their Takumars are amongst the best ever made by anyone.

Now that I am with Nikon, I am after at least one of their legendary manual focus lenses to rekindle that affection for manual focus glass. Just the love of crafting a photo using those beautifully feeling manual focus lenses and the wonderful engineering that went into them.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    When I shot with Pentax ... Unfortunately, I had to pass on them as I had sold off all my Pentax gear. Pentax made some of the best lenses there are, in their heyday, and they still make some superb glass nowadays. Their range of "A" K mount lenses and their Takumars are amongst the best ever made by anyone.

...to rekindle that affection for manual focus glass. Just the love of crafting a photo using those beautifully feeling manual focus lenses and the wonderful engineering that went into them...
    Made me reflect on all this quality you let slip. Oh, Lance!, I say. (Though others might say "refract".)
    Hm.
    Last edited by ameerat42; 22-01-2013 at 11:14am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That reminds me that I have a Kiron 28-105 in a Nikon Mount I need to sell .... They reckoned that the Kiron lenses were easily as good as the Nikon made equivilents at the time, and the example I have is in mint condition. Looks like it was made yesterday!
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Actually your view of the forums is just that. What you see as second place, is only you. Each members account sees the site based on what they have looked at/not looked at etc. Using cookies the site tracks your usage and thus when you view activity, it is unique to you.
    How do I undo this?

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally forgot about this forum and this thread, looks like old manual lens are very much alive.

Since this thread I managed to get my hands on the very much talked about Super Takumar 50mm 1.4, the radioactive one, I don't think I'll be using any other 50mm, everything is so smooth from focusing to aperture ring and the sharpness is brilliant.

Still looking for a manual wide angle 28mm and less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favourite manual lens bar none is an old Pentacon 1.8 50mm m42 with an adapter.
    Just something about the character of the lens I cant put my finger on that I love. And works really well with the K-01 and focus peaking.
    Pentax K-3 | K100D | Q | Q7
    And a large bag'o glass
    Flickr | Blog | 500px

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wandering through the archives and thought I would drag this thread back into the daylight.

One of the reasons I went for a Pentax DSLR was so I could continue to use my one manual lenses. Only had a couple (Sicor 80 - 200, Takamur-A 28 - 80, and a Tamron 2X tele-converter) but I wanted to make use of them. It saved me buying a whole new set (especially as I'd had to negotiate with my domestic high command to get the money to buy the DSLR) and I find that they come in handy some times.

I recently tried macro recently by purchasing a cheap set of extension tubes, the aperture on the auto focus lenses I had either had to be full open or full closed so I went back to my manual lenses with an aperture ring. Great results so far
    Pentax K3, K100D Super, Sigma 18-50, Takamur-A 28-80, Pentax DA 50-200, Sicor 80-200, Tamron 2X teleconverter

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    50/1.7 SMC
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Way Down Yonder in the Paw Paw Patch jim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liney View Post
    Just wandering through the archives and thought I would drag this thread back into the daylight.
    Very good work. Whatever happened to The Man from Mona? I miss him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast