User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: Was I In The Wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was I In The Wrong?

An issue has been sitting in the back of my head for a while and though the matter was mostly resolved (the other party called me lots of bad things and i ignored them) im still not 100% sure i was in the wrong. First ill set the scene

In town there is a motorcross club, something i wanted to have a go at was some motorcross photos so on one of the weekend they were running i went out to take some photos, i arrived early and introduced myself to the organiser who informed me they had a club photographer (the presidents wife) but there would be no problems with me taking photos as long as i wasent selling them. I informed him that i had no plans to sell the images and that the club could have un-watermarked copies for their own use.

12 hours later and 4 or 5 "would you mind doing this for us" later i got home and went through the images picking out the good ones to process and put on my website (which i did inform them that i would do). I put all the images onto a thumb drive in folders labled "Originals" "Photoshops" "Water Marked-Club Logo" "Water Marked-Mine and Club Logo" with the intention of giveing it to them next time i was down there. Now being that it was late and i was exhausted i posted a link on their facebook page with the album i had uploaded the images to. All the cleaned up and good photos were on there and they were all watermarked with mine and the clubs logo. I then went to bed knowing i had to go to my real job the next morning.

When i woke up the next morning the club page was still up on my computer and in place of my album link was a notice saying that i had taken advantage of the club claiming i was taking photos for my use and was trying to sell them back to the club and its members. 3 days worth of emails followed trying to sort the issue out. At no time did they try and contact me to resolve the issue before putting it up on facebook. In the end i was told they thought i was trying to sell the photos and claim that i created the club logo...something i couldent work out whey they go that idea.

Ive attached 1 of the photos in question (which i dont think is good enough to sell anyway.) I guess the real nagging thing in my mind is did i do the wrong thing by putting their logo on my photos on my site or did they just jump to a wild accusation with no grounds. For those curious i have done more motorsport stuff since this and 1 event even asked me to watermark with their logo and mine, others havent had an issue. But is it something i should stay away from?
    DSC_0833.jpg

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes. They own the right to the logo, you used it without permission. Think what would happen if you started using the McDonald's arches on your photos. McDonalds would have you in court and sue you for more money than you were every likely to earn.

Using their logo without their permission (in writing) could have landed you in court!

Whilst I think your intentions were not to sell the photos, that is a separate issue to using their logo. You will learn, that like any business, you need to get any contracts/deals/agreements in writing!- before the event.
    Last edited by ricktas; 20-10-2012 at 8:56pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue probably sits with producing better images than the president's wife. You're on a no win situation, so I'd suggest move on and forget it.
    Remove all the photo's/links to their page, or just re-process without any association to their club and remove links.
    People just don't appreciate what you were doing, which is a shame.

I also agree with Rick!
    Last edited by aussieray; 20-10-2012 at 9:01pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys...the photos were removed as soon as i saw the post on facebook and have not seen the light of day since.

I did pick up a bit of "what are you doing on my turf" on the day of the shoot...guess i just pushed the final button. Again thanks heaps.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced