An issue has been sitting in the back of my head for a while and though the matter was mostly resolved (the other party called me lots of bad things and i ignored them) im still not 100% sure i was in the wrong. First ill set the scene

In town there is a motorcross club, something i wanted to have a go at was some motorcross photos so on one of the weekend they were running i went out to take some photos, i arrived early and introduced myself to the organiser who informed me they had a club photographer (the presidents wife) but there would be no problems with me taking photos as long as i wasent selling them. I informed him that i had no plans to sell the images and that the club could have un-watermarked copies for their own use.

12 hours later and 4 or 5 "would you mind doing this for us" later i got home and went through the images picking out the good ones to process and put on my website (which i did inform them that i would do). I put all the images onto a thumb drive in folders labled "Originals" "Photoshops" "Water Marked-Club Logo" "Water Marked-Mine and Club Logo" with the intention of giveing it to them next time i was down there. Now being that it was late and i was exhausted i posted a link on their facebook page with the album i had uploaded the images to. All the cleaned up and good photos were on there and they were all watermarked with mine and the clubs logo. I then went to bed knowing i had to go to my real job the next morning.

When i woke up the next morning the club page was still up on my computer and in place of my album link was a notice saying that i had taken advantage of the club claiming i was taking photos for my use and was trying to sell them back to the club and its members. 3 days worth of emails followed trying to sort the issue out. At no time did they try and contact me to resolve the issue before putting it up on facebook. In the end i was told they thought i was trying to sell the photos and claim that i created the club logo...something i couldent work out whey they go that idea.

Ive attached 1 of the photos in question (which i dont think is good enough to sell anyway.) I guess the real nagging thing in my mind is did i do the wrong thing by putting their logo on my photos on my site or did they just jump to a wild accusation with no grounds. For those curious i have done more motorsport stuff since this and 1 event even asked me to watermark with their logo and mine, others havent had an issue. But is it something i should stay away from?
DSC_0833.jpg