Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14

Thread: 10 stop filter tips?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 stop filter tips?

Anyone have any? My new HiTech 10 stop ND will be having its first outing to the Natural Bridge meet up on Sunday. I plan to use it for the flowing water downstream where there are some nice rock formations in the creek.
    Last edited by Analog6; 20-10-2012 at 9:20am.
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    make sure the filter is tight in the holder and there are no light leak points around the edges otherwise you get some wonderful streaky over exposed and tinted bits across a perfectly good photo.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cover your viewfinder to get better meter readings. (Or use your chart )
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pretty good success putting the filter on and then focussing ...what you can do is set your aperture wide open to let more light in and try to focus...when focussed then set you desired aperture. If you are in very low light then this may not work. I find with my ND400 (9 stop) that I have to overexpose at least one to two stops to get the right exposure. So I assume that you are shooting in either aperture or manual....I`d go manual and just chimp it. It`s far easier with a wide lens to do the focussing (dof much deeper) ..but you know this.. Have fun Odille, you will love the results.
    Graeme
    "May the good Lord look down and smile upon your face"......Norman Gunston___________________________________________________
    Nikon: D7000, D80, 12-24 f4, 17-55 f2.8, 18-135, 70-300VR, 35f2, SB 400, SB 600, TC-201 2x converter. Tamron: 90 macro 2.8 Kenko ext. tubes. Photoshop CS2.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll need to work out the exposure, as ten stops is a light of light loss.

A while back I prepared an ND Shutter Speed Cheat Sheet, which you can download and print out.

It lists shutter speeds from 1/8000th to 30 seconds, and for each of those shutter speeds, it covers filtration from one to ten stops.

You can download it from here:

http://xenedis.wordpress.com/2012/03...sheet-updated/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Xenedis for making this available.

Ian
    Sony DSCR1 bridge camera; Sony Alpha SLT A57; Sony Zeiss 16-80mm f3.5-4.5 lens; Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens; converted Nikon 50mm f2.0 lens; Filters: ND4,ND8,ND1000, CP; Photoshop CS6. 82.7% of statistics are made up!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure there's no light source behind you if you're using a rectangular filter (could reflect off the glass)
    MAke sure things like cable releases and camera straps won't shake your setup
    Make sure you kind of know what you're trying to get from the exposure rather than exposing and hoping for the best
    Take some test shots without the CPL for compositoin first
    If it's really bright, a CPL can add another stop or two if you want a really long day time exposure!
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a 9 stop hitech filter for the 14-24 nikon, its absolutely massive (165mm square), things i have discovered while this square type of filter

- if there is any rain, seaspray or other water particles flying around, there is virtually no point as the filter attracts water like flies to ____ in the desert
    - the hitech's give off a blue/greenish cast which is actually quite difficult to correct in post, it helps if you manually set WB in camera (attached photo shows the blue/green cast)
    - wind will produce movement and it needs to be shielded
    - tiniest bits of dust/particles will show up in 30sec plus exposures
    - as Dylan has mentioned above, there probably will be internal lens reflections if you have a light source from behind or the side, or if you stack filters (attached a photo showing this)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I have printed the very useful looking chart. I had read acouple of reviews which covered the blue tint, see how I go. I know the scene I want, I shot it with the Blad last time I went and at 7am in the morning needed f32 and my strongest ND (3 stops). And even with that the shutter speed was a bit faster than I wanted. I shall report back.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesh, the heavy blue cast is a pain.

I haven't used my ten-stop filter many times, but next time I use it, I'll need to see what is the most rapid and effective way to colour-correct the resulting image.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I have printed the very useful looking chart. I had read acouple of reviews which covered the blue tint, see how I go. I know the scene I want, I shot it with the Blad last time I went and at 7am in the morning needed f32 and my strongest ND (3 stops). ......

f/32 is fine on MF.

that's basically equivalent to about f/16 in terms of diffraction(from what I'm lead to believe) depending on which digital back.

if you are shooting film then you could easily shoot down to f/64 as well.

Graeme: just an FYI .. no matter what you set your lens aperture value too, it will always remain open unless there is no connection(mechanical or electronic) to it.
    So if you set f/22 on the aperture control dial(whichever that may be .. sub command dial or aperture ring) the camera will hold the aperture open until the time of exposure.

WB is best set later on in PP on the raw file. If in doubt a grey card used as a reference point is handy to have access too, but with this wavelength shifting type of photography, there may be a need to adapt to a particular situation with alternative processes.
    With WB, other forms of processing that I regularly use is to seek out a white or grey point in the image. There are sometimes white or grey points in a scene that can be used as a reference point to set WB, where you then fine tune as you see fit.
    eg. clouds, white water(foam) old faded timbers .. etc.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a bit late Odille, but I have an app on my phone called ND filter calc, very handy
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of these filters and have received numerous helpful tips including :-
    use Live View, it makes focusing easier. Also, centre weighted focusing is recommended and don't forget your remote control.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethAtkinson View Post
    I have one of these filters and have received numerous helpful tips including :-
    use Live View, it makes focusing easier. Also, centre weighted focusing is recommended and don't forget your remote control.
    Live View probably won't help at all.

I used my ten-stop filter yesterday, and even using my own eyes right up against the filter, I could barely see through it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Xenedis. I go completely manual, focusing and framing my shots before I put the filter in place. I know before I even start shooting what ISO and aperture I want, so then it is down to adjusting the shutter speed to get the results I have planned for the shoot. If you have a 10 stop filter that you can consistently focus through and see through on a variety of shoots, I would suggest your filter is probably not really a 10 stopper, but maybe more like an 8
    Last edited by ricktas; 24-10-2012 at 7:59am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, definitely do all of your setup first, then attach the ten-stop filter and adjust the exposure time accordingly.

Also, if you use grads like I do, and therefore need to stack filters, make sure the ten-stop filter goes onto the filter holder first (ie, it should be positioned most closely to the lens). I learned the hard way yesterday, as I ended up with light leakage due to placing the ten-stop filter on the top of the stack.

I wasn't thinking straight (I'd been awake since 11pm the previous night, and it was 6:something in the morning when shooting).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizabethAtkinson View Post
    I hope we get to see some of your photos soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps. live view can be useful for midday shots still! - but yea most other times, it's like trying to use live view at night

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't things are any where near as complex as people are making out. I have an 8 stop ND and I use it with a polariser which makes 10 stop. I use a wide angle lens with manual focus and a high fstop so focus is not a problem. Just make sure your filter is clean and maybe take several different exposures so you can blend the results if necessary.