Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Wheelchair accessible scenic locations Adelaide area

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheelchair accessible scenic locations Adelaide area

Hi everyone,

I'm a Queenslander heading to Adelaide for a week (next week) and am hoping fellow photography enthusiasts can tell me any scenic locations that are wheelchair accessible. In particular, waterfalls, sunrise or sunset etc.
    Looking forward the the trip and will be sure to sharfe some pics on my return.

Ray

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Ray. I have a non-photographer friend who lives in Adelaide and has been wheelchair bound her entire life. I will contact her and see what she can tell me that might assist. Will get back to you when I get an answer.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Hey Ray. I have a non-photographer friend who lives in Adelaide and has been wheelchair bound her entire life. I will contact her and see what she can tell me that might assist. Will get back to you when I get an answer.
    Thanks Rick! That will be great

Ray

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ray any Adelaide beach for sunsets are accessible to wheel chairs, eg. Brighton nice food places as well (Brighton Jetty Cafe), squeezey but good, Henley Beach, good eating there to & Grange food not quite as good but alright. Wouldn't worry about Glenelg to crowded & touristy. all depending where your staying. Can help you with more detail later. For waterfalls about the only two that are readily accessible Morialta & Waterfall Gully But depends on how much rain we have had as to if they are really performing even then they need a reasonable amount of rain. I will keep a look out at this thread if you would like to know more. Windy point is a great for a panoramic view over Adelaide. But that would mean a shoot at W/Point one night and a shoot beach the next night.
    Last edited by ROA44; 18-10-2012 at 1:26am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate the responses. Will keep an eye on this thread and start to plan. On the east coast (Qld) we see sunrises, and the only way to get a reasonable sunset is from one of the islands looking back over the mainland. thanks again and all input welcomed and appreciated.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ray.. will you have transport or are you limited to buses/taxi's or friends to get you around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More regarding waterfalls in Adelaide you will be limited to the base of the waterfalls as to get to the top requires climbing steps an steep inclines which would be to difficult. all the beach locations will allow you to get good sunset shots looking back to buildings from the jetties depending on cloud conditions and weather of cause. But as Rick has stated access to transport will be the main factor, also how many days & nights will you be here for and where would you be staying & are you coming alone or with someone.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    Ray.. will you have transport or are you limited to buses/taxi's or friends to get you around?
    Will have a hire vehicle. So getting to places shouldn't be a problem, just finding the best locations 'access wise' to get around once there.

Will arrive Monday, and leave Saturday. Basically 5 opportunities to grab a nice sunset, 1 day will be to see the Pandas at the zoo. (Reason for travelling to Adeliade, for my daughter, also in a wheelchair, to see the Pandas as a granted wish from the Starlight foundation.)

So, if anyone sees a teenager in a powerchair and a bloke in mobility scooter (60D around neck) cruising around Adelaide next week, be sure to say g'day!

Ray

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting ready today for our trip. 6.15am flight tomorrow morning, and 90min earlier getting there so should see sunrise in Brisbane.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will pass the extra info onto my friend and get back to you a bit later today Ray..as long as she gets back to me.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is what my friend came back with Ray:

"Ok get a map of Adelaide first. We have a marina called North Haven which is very close to Port Adelaide. North Haven would be a good evening photo shoot - there's some cracker yachts (aka ships) moored there. The only river (creek) that runs through adelaide starts up in the hills but is loched at intervals all the way down to the beach which could provide some interesting shots. If you go up to Mt Lofty (the highest point in the adelaide hills) you can face east and get some sun rise shots. Basically sticking anywhere in the adelaide hills will give some amazing country shots. We're talking no more than an hour from the metro area. If they are interested in travelling you can get to the murray river with some amazing shots of big dead trees in the water (one of my favourites) in about an hour and a half in the car. The Barossa Valley which is north of adelaide (about an hour and a half again) is a wine region but very pretty. there's also McLaren Vale (where I was born) about an hour south of the met area which is another wine region which is very pretty. We also have a wildlife park called Cleland which is in the hills - very popular."

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick and everyone for offering suggestions. I sure will be busy! Hope to bring back some nice photos.
    Ray
    60D 5Diii

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And have a great time!
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to see as much of Adelaide and surrounding area as possible in short time there. Here is one sunset I snuck in during the trip.

........and a Panda
    Last edited by aussieray; 30-10-2012 at 12:33am.