User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  34
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does getting better, or getting critique, make us too fussy?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance B View Post
    Well, they do say that ignorance is bliss.

So, the less you know, the less you are critical of your own work and other's work.
    or the less you know, the less constructive you can be about your own work and other's work.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    or the less you know, the less constructive you can be about your own work and other's work.
    Of course.

Anyway, it all goes hand in hand with the old adage, "ignorance is bliss".

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    You say you kept 200 shots. That is a lot! ...
    I took 841 photos, so 200 out of that was less than 1 in 4 of them I kept. But it was probably more than I was really happy with, as some of them I had to keep - after significant full-open-heart surgery to salvage them in PS - simply because there was something happening, or a person that attended, that didn't work out in any of the other shots.

The huge number of shots was due to the fact that firstly it was an all day event, so had time to take a lot, and secondly because I took nearly every shot in bursts of 3, just in case someone blinked. It paid off at times when the first shot would be something I felt worth taking a shot of, followed by the most amusing "you didn't just take my photo did you?" look from the person, followed by them cracking a huge smile when they realised they HAD been got. So it often meant all three made a great tryptic or series. But it also paid off when people would blink, or turn away, or do some other thing just at the last second, and so there was more likely a chance one of the three would come out ok.
    If it was a paid job, I wouldn't have taken it on, as I don't have a low light lens for indoor use, and I'm really not up to the standard to be shooting even simple parties, but as a favour for some friends they got vastly better shots (if I do say so myself) than they'd have gotten from just anyone with a P&S.

I think my biggest problem is that I'm finding it hard now not to look down on and disparage "happy snap" types of pics, but for many events, especially fast moving family parties (not including this one which was quite different and quite formal, which gave lots of time to compose shots carefully) it simply won't ever be possible to get the perfect background, with no distracting elements, and perfect light and award winning composition in every shot. I think I have to get back to enjoying photography as both an artform to be perfected, AND as a perfectly acceptable way to capture some memories and happy snaps when the time calls for that, and to know when and where to draw that line without feeling unhappy if every shot isn't an award winner.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 16-10-2012 at 9:40pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post

I think my biggest problem is that I'm finding it hard now not to look down on and disparage "happy snap" types of pics, ....

I remember the day I found myself thinking the same way.
    At a party once, I was shown a happy snap of a kid .. and the parent who is a direct relative of mine, shows me this pic.
    They seemed to think that it was the best photo they'd taken in their lifetime, and the first thing I noticed was a pole sticking out of the kids head.
    Of course 'this pole' was a playground set in the background, and due to the P&S nature of the camera and the massive DOF, the pole was sharp as a tack.
    It looked to be an unfortunate snap at the wrong moment in time, according to my POV, but the parent was happy enough.

But as time goes by, and you've appreciated images more and more, you will probably begin to relax about it, and stop being so 'perfectionist' about every single image you either take(yourself) or have to appraise for the benefit of others(not so photographically minded as us enthusiasts/amateurs/pros).
    Each image has to be considered on it's many merits , and I'm comfortable now just capturing a snap here and there if need be.
    I tend not to do that though, and I find I don't take as many pics as I'd like too, because I want it to be clear(of clutter and well composed) and well thought out. .. but I still find myself getting the odd happy snap every now and then(mainly at family parties and gatherings).
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The trick with 'happy snaps' is to notice the poles sticking out of heads etc, feetless babies, and aunt betty's with half their heads missing, but to be diplomatic enough to keep your mouth shut about it. If your family is like mine, there are enough feuds going on, without adding more kindling to the fire.
    Last edited by ricktas; 17-10-2012 at 7:24am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friends often shake their head when I show them my reject photos and ask why. I am currently editing shots from a recent wedding and a friend of mine said quite bluntly, "You better let someone else take a look or you will end up only giving them 10 of the 1000 you took - you are such a hard critique of your work." I think it is part of the learning process and I now find myself considering the audience before considering my work. People often just want a photo of what happened, not a prize winning image. That is why I too do a double short list while remaining conscious that other knowing photogs may and will see the work, hence the need for some standards.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A wedding is a completely different kettle of fish!

There is a differing perceived level of photographs required from a wedding shoot, to say shooting the local CWA ladies holding their annual cake bake contest. But none the less, striving for perfection under any situation is desirable, after all you never know that one of the CWA cake bake ladies is about to see her daughter married and unbeknown to you, is sussing your quality out, before she approaches you to photograph the wedding.

I also think it is more about the communication between the parties before the shoot/event. The photographer needs to understand exactly what it is that the client (client used as the person who wants the photos taken, paying or not) before the big day. No use going in thinking you are doing a formal wedding shoot when all the client wants is casual, photo journalist style shots of the wedding, or the cake bake ladies just want photos of themselves mingling, laughing and enjoying their day, when you think they want close up shots of cake detailing, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12