Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: focusing rail for canon mpe 65mm macro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool focusing rail for canon mpe 65mm macro

Hello everybody ,

I am learning to shoot macro with this lens and do find that I really need a focusing rail to micro adjust the focal plane. I have looked up on ebay and there's way too many of them.I would really appreciate if anybody could suggest a good focusing rail. Thank you in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you shooting in natural light? Are you planning on stacking images? What are you going to be shooting?

If you plan on shooting insects that usually move alot, you will find focusing rails useless as the insect will move to quickly usually (sometimes stationary).
    If you shoot with a flash you do not usually need a tripod due to the flash freezing motion. Shooting hand held is not very difficult after a little bit of practice
    1DIII, 5DII, 15mm fish, 24mm ts-e, 35L,135L,200L,400L,mpe-65mm
    Film: eos 300, pentax 6x7

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest your criteria be:

• Solid (meaning they will be a little heavy)
    • Metal (I like brass) Rack and Pinion gears
    • Locking knob
    • Good sized knobs
    • Two way travel
    • Distance scale on matt or semi gloss black so a Chinagraph Pencil can adhere
    • Good clearance from top rack to camera mount

I picked this pair up several years ago – about $150.00, not the most expensive and they are a ‘no names’ brand – but very solid and no play in the travel when they are locked:

I’d suggest you look at what you buy and test the rails out, mounted on your tripod rig with the camera and lens.

I would not be keen to buy this item sight unseen and not tested – YMMV.

Here is a shot showing the clearance:

WW

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree with Fabian, it depends what you want to shoot with macro. I generally just use a tripod or monopod (monopod offers stability but easy to move in need). As you have selected yourself as a beginner, I think getting the entire art of macro photography down is probably more important than investing in a rail at this stage. Yes a rail is going to be of benefit, sometimes, but that should not really kick in until you are intermediate and beyond.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And adding to Ricks and Fabians advice, whilst not detracting from what William W has offered in anyway, the MPE 65 is not the easiest Canon Macro lens to start out with. The Aper's in the Marco forum that have and use this lens will back up that statement.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I shoot mpe 65mm with canon mr14ex. And yes its a steep learning curve for me. I also have 100mmL IS macro which I use for fast moving insects. I am planning to capture better eye and hairy details of the insect using this mpe65mm. And it is so frustrating as the distance my subject is only about 10cm at 1X magnification to focus and goes down to 6mm at 3, 4x magnification perhaps. Hence the idea of this focusing rail as not to make a drastic move and scare off the insects.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks William for the suggestion. That focusing rail looks good and stable. I might just get one from ebay

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fabian628 View Post
    are you shooting in natural light? Are you planning on stacking images? What are you going to be shooting?

If you plan on shooting insects that usually move alot, you will find focusing rails useless as the insect will move to quickly usually (sometimes stationary).
    If you shoot with a flash you do not usually need a tripod due to the flash freezing motion. Shooting hand held is not very difficult after a little bit of practice
    I am not familiar with stacking image at all...might be the next thing i should learn. do you reckon i don't need the focusing rail if i use flash? I was just wondering can we really shoot this lens hand held??hmm...

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day alex

I have a simple <$20 focussing rail that does me very nicely. It is a simple 2-way job [back & forth] rather than the 4-way one shown above

Here's a link to the mob I got mine from ~ maybe it will help

http://www.dinodirect.com/se-focus%2...rency-AUD.html

Regards, phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aalex View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I shoot mpe 65mm with canon mr14ex. And yes its a steep learning curve for me. I also have 100mmL IS macro which I use for fast moving insects. I am planning to capture better eye and hairy details of the insect using this mpe65mm. And it is so frustrating as the distance my subject is only about 10cm at 1X magnification to focus and goes down to 6mm at 3, 4x magnification perhaps. Hence the idea of this focusing rail as not to make a drastic move and scare off the insects.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks William for the suggestion. That focusing rail looks good and stable. I might just get one from ebay

- - - Updated - - -

I am not familiar with stacking image at all...might be the next thing i should learn. do you reckon i don't need the focusing rail if i use flash? I was just wondering can we really shoot this lens hand held??hmm...
    you wont need a focusing rail and tripod if you are shooting flash, the flash will freeze camera shake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same rail in William W's post is available at a shop in Leichhardt called Photo Shop Studio (on Parramatta Rd), for about $50.00

I bought one off them, and have used it a couple of times, and it seems to work well and is very stable with no movement.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fabian628 View Post
    you wont need a focusing rail and tripod if you are shooting flash, the flash will freeze camera shake.
    I'm not sure if I totally agree, yes the flash lets you freeze camera shake, but focusing @ 4 and 5X can be really tough hand holding, focus rails really helped me nail the focus.
    Jayde

Honest CC whether good or bad, is much appreciated.
    Love and enjoy photography, but won't be giving up my day job.

Flickr

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dulvariprestige View Post
    I'm not sure if I totally agree, yes the flash lets you freeze camera shake, but focusing @ 4 and 5X can be really tough hand holding, focus rails really helped me nail the focus.
    Agree, any slight forward backward movement is going to put the focus out.

I still think aalex, as a beginner, needs to concentrate on general macro photography first, without looking at focus stacking etc, these are more advanced techniques than most beginners should be looking at. Beginners should be looking at focus, getting the camera settings right, and basic PP, anything else is more intermediate level stuff.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Rick. Starting off with the 65mm MP-E is very ambitious. I started off with the 100mm macro, then put tubes on it, then put a TC 1.4x on it before buying the MP-E. Even now, I don't get decent results with anything 3x or more. I'm sure I will eventually, but it sort of gives an indication of the learning curve.

But you have it now, and it is an amazing lens. I think you should keep it at 1x and mount it to a tripod. Head around and take macro of stationary objects and experience the difficulties first hand. It will demonstrate the benefits of focus stacking or using a flash while hand holding. Then you will be able to make a better decision about which is for you.

I've done focus stacking a few times - I think it's my bottle neck right now, but still learning how to navigate the scene that includes a moving object. That's my next hurdle!

Good luck

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the MP-E and by far the easiest way to use it (though no ways are easy with this lens) is with the twin macro flash (or ring flash). You use it hand held, brace the camera with your hand and move it until it crosses the focus and snap. It will take some practice, but when it works it is magic. The other way, but harder, is with a focus rail and tripod. Both the rail and the tripod need to be of very good quality as tiny movements will change the focus (dof is 0.1mm or less when used at high magnification).
    By the way, if you want to take insects on leaves, twigs etc, flash is the only way as the leaves will move unless you live in a place with zero wind. Even then your movement will disturb the air and move the leaves. I take fungus with it and I now usually use a focus rail, focus stacking and natural light because I love the look of the result, but it took a lot of practice and I would not attempt this with a subject that moves even slightly. I have to wait for very still air even with fungus.
    Last edited by Steve Axford; 25-10-2012 at 10:31am.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips and information guys. I have tried hand held with ring flash. It was quite difficult, perhaps success rate (usable & acceptable photos) so far was 1/10. I will keep practising. Have ordered a cheapo focusing rail through ebay