Thread: Which lens to hire?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which lens to hire?

Hi all

I hope I've put this in the right place....if not feel free to move it Mods

I have decided to hire an L lens for taking photos of the Start of the Sydney to Hobart this year. My husband is participating again!YAY!

Last year I went out on the official spectator boat (the only boat allowed in the exclusion zone) with my 7D and Canon 70-300mm lens. I actually got some great shots which I am in the processs of having printed and framed for the newly vacant walls of my husband's boardroom.

Most of the shots I took that day were at or near the 300mm end of the zoom which is not the best end on that lens.

I am wondering if I should hire the 70-200mm L IS USM 2.8 mark II or the 70-300mm L IS USM ? I would have just gone with the 70-300 but the 70-200 has such a cult following and everyone raves about the awesome quality. I just worry that it won't have the reach I need, but I could crop in PP I guess. What do you all think?

Cheers Karen

Ps is there much difference in quality between the 70-200 mark I and the mark II??
    Last edited by ktoopi; 15-10-2012 at 7:15pm.
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What about the 100-400 f4?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ktoopi View Post
    Most of the shots I took that day were at or near the 300mm end of the zoom which is not the best end on that lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    i didn't see that one on the list of available lenses!

- - - Updated - - -

Correction...............I just had another look and they do have that lens! Hmmm I think I might go with that. I want to book it now as when I made the initial enquiry they told me that they are closed over the Christmas period from Dec 22 to Jan 10 and I could have the lens for that whole time for a weeks hire!

D750 Shines
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After that period of time you may never want to return it

cheers

Nikon D750,D500,Z6,Coolpix P7700
    Nikkor 300mm f/4E PF ED VR, Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 VR, Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, Tokina 100mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 , Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC Di, Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4
    FTZ adapator
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be going for as long a lens as is available and affordable.

A 400mm lens would be a good choice, as the vantage points are not close to the action from what I can gather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the 400mm too I hired the 70 - 200mm a few months back, and yes it's qualities were amazing, but mostly amazing (for my purpose) for the F2.8 allowing me to take high quality photos in poor light with no flash. So for your purpose, I would think that the 400mm will give you both the quality and distance you are wanting.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note that if you hire a 400/2.8, it will be very heavy and unsuitable for hand-held photography, so a monopod is a must.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    I'd be going for as long a lens as is available and affordable.

A 400mm lens would be a good choice, as the vantage points are not close to the action from what I can gather.
    I will be on the only spectator boat allowed indside the exclusion zone!! I went on the same boat last year and we were in the thick of the action and sat right on the start line!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Note that if you hire a 400/2.8, it will be very heavy and unsuitable for hand-held photography, so a monopod is a must.
    Yes I did think I might have to take one! I've had it for a few years and never used it so it looks like it's finally going to get Christened!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everyone for replying. I think the 100 to 400 is the way to go as on my 7d it will give me even more reach!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cupic View Post
    After that period of time you may never want to return it

cheers
    That thought did cross my mind!!