User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Grrrrrr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grrrrrr

Feeling like a complete noob here, but does the 50mm 1.8 nikkor lens NOT AutoFocus on Nikon D3100 body? Or is my lens broken?
    This is a new lens that I bought months and months ago and forgot about... pulled it out today and hmmm no AF...
    I wouldn't otherwise mind, except I want to use it on moving subjects...
    The info sheet that came with it said it was compatible with D300's and I just assumed that included the 3100..
    Last edited by Marika; 15-10-2012 at 3:30pm.
    Nikon gal

Perpetually Bewildered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marika I'm assuming you have the AF 50mm f/1.8 D version of the lens. This lens requires a "focus drive" in the camera that connects to the lens to provide autofocus. The D3100 doesn't have the focus drive so autofocus is not possible with this lens on your camera.

The AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G lens has the focus drive in the lens itself so it will autofocus on the D3100. If you have the AF-S ("G") version and it's not autofocusing then there is a problem, although check the switches first.

With Nikon / Nikkor you need to be careful with the meaning of "compatible". Almost all Nikkor (SLR/DSLR) lenses will mount on any Nikon SLR/DSLR body so in that sense are "compatible", however the actual capabilities (autofocus, metering) can depend on the capabilities of the body. Somewhere in you D3100 manual, probably down the back, will be a table specifying how each type of lens works on your body, whether it will autofocus and meter.

If you do have the "D" version, the best option might be to sell it and pick up the "G" version.

Cheers.
    Phil.

Some Nikon stuff. I shoot Mirrorless and Mirrorlessless.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Phill, yep, it's the D version, what a stupid mistake.
    Bugga, oh well now to see if I can sell it, I would prefer AF lens, so will be buying the G lens.

Thank for your help