Hi all

Just got back from a trip to Hawaii and part way through the cruise back my son tipped my D80 off the top bunk (where he was not supposed to be) and it bonced its way to the floor where it snapped the lens off the front.

So now I am faced with a delima.

The bayonet fitting appears to be the only damage and looks to be an easy fix. I was luck enough to have the photographers on board the ship snap one of their lenses on and take a picture to confirm that the camera is still opeating correctly.

Is there a chance that the optics in the lens or the camera need attention or are they fairly robust. The picture seems to be OK

The lens is a Nikkor 18-135 /3.5-5.6 DX lens (no VR) - not a particulry top notch lens, but good versatile lens. Nikkor dont show this lens anymore so what is a decent replacement (should I replace it at all or just get a wide angle like I planned but in an FX format - see below)

Here is the dilema

The D600 came out which I want. I was looking at a D7000 (hopeing for its replecement to come out soon) prior to the holiday, but with the subsequent release of the D600 I think I want it now. Do I get a replacement FX lens and use it on the D80 until I get the D600 (waiting for prices to settle a little). The broken lens was my only lens (was getting a tokina before the trip but ran out of funds - may have been a blessing in disguise)

or

Do I get a good all rounder DX lens (similar to what I have) and just leave it on the D80 and get a whole new set for the D600 and use them on the D80 when required (if at all). What is recomended as an all rounder from Nikon?

Thanks for all the help and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Mick