Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: My upgrade to a 7D!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up My upgrade to a 7D!!!!

Hey guys and girls!

My lovely wife let me upgrade yesterday from the 450D that I have had for a few years to the 7D!!

So can anyone share any tips that will help me with the transition? I am planning on keeping the 450D which was probably going to have the nifty fifty on it pretty much all the time, and I'll have the 70-250 on the 7D that came with the 450 when I bought it, until I purchase better lenses.... or would it be better to switch those lenses?

Anyways, any tips are greatly appreciated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an owner of a 500D I cant offer any help. You must be pleased to be able to upgrade to the 7D, I bet you will enjoy using it.

Joe.
    The things you see when you dont have a camera.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: My upgrade to a 7D!!!!

Yeah Joe I am very pleased my wife let me marry her lol! He he he

Am loving the camera, quite a steep learning curve though...

Swiped on my Gnex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Anyways, any tips are greatly appreciated
    Yes - read the manual or buy one of the many 'How to use' books on the 7D - such as the Magic Lantern ones - to really understand the camera. I too upgraded from the 450D and it is a steep learning curve - and then practice, practice and more practice.

Karl
    Last edited by Karl; 14-10-2012 at 10:14pm.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Canon G12 in a Recsea housing with twin YS110 Alpha strobes
    Canon 7D with Sigma 18 - 250mm & 170 - 500mm lenses

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The new camera will be to steep a learning curve for you. I suggest that you PM me so that we can organise swapping it with my 60D.
    Enjoy your practice.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what budget your lovely wife let you put aside, but for $1600-$1700 (if you shop wisely using the official sponsor ads on this website) you can get the 7D with the Canon 15-85mm IS lens attached, as a kit. This is a pretty high grade lens and shuold get you pretty excited, photographically.

But my #1 equipment tip to anyone getting into dslr world, to make a big improvement to image quality, is to get a hotshoe flash with a swivel head. The Canon 430 is excellent and affordable, the Nissin equivalent is cheaper.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karl, thanks for the tip, I have been looking at a few books and will decide which one soon.

Mark, ummmmmm....... no! lol hehe thanks mate

Arg, thanks for the tip regarding the kit, but I have it now anyways so I'll just have to save a bit more so I can upgrade from the 450D kit lenses. Regarding the flash, I purchased a Yongnuo 565EX a couple months ago and have been very happy with it sitting on the 450D. I used the combination the other night at my mum's 60th party and the images look pretty good. I am looking forward to trying out the flash wirelessly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very exciting news for you. I have a 450D and that is probably the way I will go in the future also. Have a great play and enjoy the new learning you are about to do.
    My gear: Canon 450D, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 430EX II. My Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done the same upgrade this year. The biggest thing to learn is the focussing system. It is so far different from the 450d. I recommend putting a few thousand actuations through it to learn.
    See my work on

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First thing is to register the spot focus points, why they are not set up initially I don't know. Then I have used some of the recommendations given in this http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/...-new-canon-7d/ article.
    I use back button focus set up on the AE lock button(*), and the only time I find this inconvenient is if I am trying to hold the camera and focus with one hand while holding a flash in the other, say for macro work, and then I put the focus back on the trigger.
    The age of entitlement isn't over, it's just over there where you can't get to it.
    When several possibilities exist, the simplest solution is the best.
    "There are no rules" Bruce Barnbaum, The art of Photography
    Graham