Thread: Example of portable studio set up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Example of portable studio set up

Just thought I'd share an example of one of my portable studio kits look like when set up. I do a lot of shoots for clients on location and need the versatility and still maintain the same quality as one should, just like in any studio setting.

Originally I estimated there was about 60kg of gear in this photo, but since its missing a lot of things - that figure should be around 100kg, give or take a few. Normally dont use that Bowens head anymore in the photo but I had left another Bron head at home so this served as back up with beauty dish.

*Missing in this photo are generally bigger lighting modifiers ie. softboxes and parabolic umbrella, some more strobe heads and miscellaneous equipment - as this was set up for a hair shoot - the focus was mainly around the top half of the model*

Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jackie, what's your backdrop setup?
    Nikon FX + m43
    davophoto.wordpress.com

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swifty View Post
    Hey Jackie, what's your backdrop setup?
    Yo Dave, atm I am using Neutral Grey and Thunder Grey paper rolls, prefer paper over muslin whenever I can, as the light roll off is a lot smoother. Its just 2 stands and the Manfrotto telescopic bar going across.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paper.. So disposable? As in cut when it gets dirty?

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah man, its standard in the industry. A typical paper roll is 2.7m x 11m long, if you look at the photo above - the bottom bit of the paper is on the ground, that gets dirty or ripped but thats fine, as long as the background is still good, you can keep re-rolling and re-using it for months, or up to a year if you look after it well. If it gets too creased or dirty you just cut it off and roll more down. Then make a giant paper plane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the display JM. I do not think that many pro's would take the time to share their experience with us mear mortals, as you do.
    This is one of the good things that I like about you. The other is your images inspire me (and others) to better ourselves.
    Geoff
    Honesty is best policy.
    CC is always welcome
    Nikon D3000 ... Nikon D90... Nikon D700 Various lenses, Home studio equipment and all the associated stuff
    Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jackie!

If any of you are just doing head or 1/2 body shots, a pop-up backdrop with a single stand and clamp would be a great alternative - lighter, less bulky. I've fit groups of around 4-5 people in front of a pop-up backdrop, although that's pushing it! That one was about 1.8x1.2m.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achee View Post
    Thanks Jackie!

If any of you are just doing head or 1/2 body shots, a pop-up backdrop with a single stand and clamp would be a great alternative - lighter, less bulky. I've fit groups of around 4-5 people in front of a pop-up backdrop, although that's pushing it! That one was about 1.8x1.2m.
    Yeah I had thought about it, but atm none of the pop up backdrops seem to provide the full length body coverage that I desire sometimes, nor do the light fall off characteristics of those material can be as good as the paper backdrops I favour. But who knows, I just need to do more experimenting with pop up backgrounds to weigh up the pros and cons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, they're no good for full body shots, but they are so quick and convenient, and can fit in anyone's car boot!