User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: 4 days in melbourne - phllip island/12 apostles etc...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 days in melbourne - phllip island/12 apostles etc...

Hi I am off to melbourne next week. Am staying with non photographer friends but am hoping to incorporate photography into the trips in particular the Penguin parade and the 12 apostles.

Firstly can anyone suggest the best vantage point for penguin photos. You can pay extra for an elevated platform but Im unlikely to get eye contact that way, would prefer to crouch low and get to penguins eye level. However don't want to battle the crowds. Is there any upgrade worth taking to ensure the best photos? Also what do you suggest in regards to which lens? My 35mm prime which at f 1.8 will be good for low light or my 55-300 - good telephoto length but slower lens in low light.... Hopefully I'll be close enough to use some flash to help out. In an ideal world I'd take 2 cameras with both lenses attached but flight luggage limits may cripple me!

Also are there any places on great ocean rd, phillip island or around the city that people can suggest for good photo opportunities? As I am touring with friends, I may not be in these places at the best times for lighting etc but will have to make the best of what I can and use grad filters etc to help with harsh lighting!

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi leanne,

Unfortunately photography is totally banned at the penguine parade. The rangers are very protective of the penguins, so don't even try.

The best view of the penguins is along the boardwalk going back to the visitor centre after the parade, so i wouldn't spend extra on the more expensive tickets. Be sure to take extra blankets and thermals - it gets VERY cold!

There are some great photo ops at the nobbies (sometimes even some penguins in their nests during the day) and if you drive along "The Boulevard" you can see plenty of wallabies and various birds.

Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,
    Jaycee

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's such a shame - have been mentally planning that shot since I arrived in Australia 1 year ago! Thinking about it is very reasonable that flash photography is banned but a shame they ban non flash photography too! Is there anywhere else I might get a good picture of a penguin or seal on the island? And if so what time of day is best? Thanks for the other tips too!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leanne0333 View Post
    That's such a shame - have been mentally planning that shot since I arrived in Australia 1 year ago! Thinking about it is very reasonable that flash photography is banned but a shame they ban non flash photography too! Is there anywhere else I might get a good picture of a penguin or seal on the island? And if so what time of day is best? Thanks for the other tips too!
    Yes it's a shame they don't ban only flash photography. Part of me likes to think it's because they realise most people don't know how to disable the flash, but there's another part of me (the cynical part) that thinks it's related to the expensive photos you can buy in the gift shop.

You may get a shot of a penguin inside a nest at the nobbies, but it's unlikely to be a clear shot of one in the open. Seals are generally easier to come by - i can't recommend a particular spot, but any rocky outcrop is worth a try.

Cheers,
    Jaycee