User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: What video editing software?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What video editing software?

With my recent acquisition of a D800, I now have a DSLR capable of video. To date I have not tried video on it, but was wondering what video editing software members recommend.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fortunate coz my girlfriend uses final cut pro on a Mac. It is the standard for personal computers, but it is expensive. Videopad is a cheap option that will suffice, but it gives few options for post processing. Good luck. It takes a different mind set to produce good video. You have to create a story.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have used Sony Vegas Pro 10 on a Windows based PC and find it very user friendly, my brother uses a mixture of Final Cut, After Effects and Premier Pro all on a Mac and they seem to be the industry standard, its what he does for a profession.
    Canon 7D, Canon EF 24-105mm f4L, Canon 16-35mm f2.8L, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
    Manfrotto 190XPROB + Vanguard Ball Head + Kenova fluid pan head
    Kirk Enterprises Low Pod + Manfrotto 410 Geared Head + Velbon Super Mag Slider
    GoPro Hero2
    Bags, Cases and lots of other bibs and bobs

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I used to (many moons ago) use Pinnacle Studio, but googling recently shows it doesn't get good reviews these days. Might see if Final Cut has a 30 day trial so I can check it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What video editing software?

Avid Studio at $170 is an awesome bit of gear. Made by the legendary Avid who are renowned throughout he world as a leader in their field. Personally, I use Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite. It's a bit cheaper and comes with a pro audio editor and DVD creator. It has a bit of a learning curve, but works with any video files I throw at it and produces outstanding results.

As your probably aware Rick, any video editing of HD video needs pretty high spec computers to get the best results. It mainly has to do with getting good previews of you edits and rendering time of the final movie.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Cheers,
    Ian

All the 7's: D700, D7000, D70

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My computer is specc' enough..hehe running 5ghz with 24gb ram, 4gb video card, with 3d blu ray burner capability.

Final Cut Pro is out (its Mac only). Downloading a trial of corel video studio at present to have a look at. Spose I will have to shoot some video with the D800 now to test it all out.
    Last edited by ricktas; 11-10-2012 at 9:15pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got roped into doing some extensive video editing so I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

Lightworks (http://www.lwks.com/) looks good but the free version is limited in file formats due to codec licensing costs so I haven't been able to use it with my files. I'll be getting a year's license soon to try it out.

Videopad's free version is limited (http://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/index.html). You can't do colour correction, but you can do that and most of your post processing in Lightroom 4 in the Library module then export the file and use Videopad.

If all you need to do is basic colour correction, brightness etc... and editing the start and end points of the video you can do that in Lightroom 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Epoc View Post
    Avid Studio at $170 is an awesome bit of gear. Made by the legendary Avid who are renowned throughout he world as a leader in their field. Personally, I use Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Production Suite.
    I'll give these a try. Cheers Epoc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried Lightworks out last night. Too complex and certain essential features missing. Trying out the others over the next week.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks. I haven't had a chance to give video much of a go since starting this thread. Hope to someday soon.