User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Flip out screens/Vari-angle LCD's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flip out screens/Vari-angle LCD's

A thing I'm curious about and thought I'd just gather other people's opinions on is the vari - angle screens found on a select few Dslrs such as the 60/600/650 D
    Question I have is why do camera manufactures such as canon reserve it for it's middle band of cameras. I understand why it's not included in the entry level cameras as it gives the more expensive models an "extra feature"
    However why is it not found on the higher end, 1,5,6,7 D's

At first I thought it was a pretty gimmicky thing that I'd rarely use, however with time have found my self using it over and over.

In landscape shots, when I'm shooting at an awkward angle or in water from a low angle and don't want to kneel in it.

In Macro photography, once again when shooting from a very low angle making looking through the view finder difficult even when lying down or when shooting at a very low aperture with extension tubes making live view a necessity.

And although I don't do much video recording can see how useful it'd be especially for those with out a magnetic viewfinder eye piece.

So why is it not included on the higher end cameras, it's always optional can easily be left untouched and function as a normal LCD screen.
    Maybe the answer is obvious, but I'd love to be informed.
    Canon 60D - 24-105 F4 L - Sigma 10-20 - Kit lenses - 50mm F:1.8 - Tamron 90mm F:2.8 Macro - 430 exII _ Extension Tube Set

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So would I, and I guess, a lot of others.
    Perhaps it was a good idea at the time. For sure it would come down to costs.
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    . For sure it would come down to costs.
    But that cost wouldn't be much for the high end cameras Cyza'a mentioned.
    I've found it more useful than I thought it would be.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Precisely, I honestly did not adjust it from it's original fixed location for months but was really surprised at just how useful it can be.
    Would dearly miss it if I were to upgrade to a 5D Mkii as planned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 60D and use it all the time.....it really helps when the camera is low. Now they just have to make it so that when the camera is low AND on a vertical angle, the flippy screen can bend backwards, not just twist around!

When I upgrade, I KNOW I will miss it!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 600D and have found the screen very useful. I sometimes take photos of historic buildings which have been fenced in to protect them until they are restored and I find that with the screen I can shoot over and around fences. I have even reached through holes in fences and effectively shot at arm's length around corners using the screen as my eyes. The other use that I find, as has been touched on in other posts, is to shoot from a range of heights to give a different perspective for example shooting "box brownie" style at waist height.

I find it a very useful feature and would have to adjust my style if I upgraded (oh to be able to afford it).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know why ppl used to raged and complained or lacked the foresight to see how useful a variable screen could be, for all lines of work. Too traditional I guess.

Even in other reality situations, such as military applications, it is invaluable and a luxury to be able to take shots at the enemy without having to look down the barrel. Already there are technology and weapons to shoot the rifle around the corner without exposing the soldier, and still be able to 'compose the shot'.

I would love to see variable/flip screens appear on higher end DSLRs, would make my job a lot easier or comfortable for many diverse scenarios.
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably not found on the higher end models because they're "weather-proofed" and weatherproofing an articulated screen would be an engineering challenge that would add cost and bulk that many find unnecessary.

I rarely use it on my 60D for anything other than video, where it is a brilliant feature.
    Last edited by unistudent1962; 14-10-2012 at 10:21am.
    Mark

Canon 70D w/Grip l Canon 60D w/Grip l EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM l EF 70-200 f4L IS USM l EF-S 15-85 f3.5-5.6 IS USM l EF 100 f2.8 USM Macro l EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS STM l EF 50 f1.8 II l Canon EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM l 430 EX II Flash l Rode Stereo VideoMic l Manfrotto 055XPROB + 498RC2 Tripod l Benro MP-96 M8 Monopod l Lowepro Vertex 200 AW Backpack l Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW Backpack l PS CS5 Extended l Lightroom 4.3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unistudent1962 View Post
    It's probably not found on the higher end models because they're "weather-proofed" and weatherproofing an articulated screen would be an engineering challenge that would add cost and bulk that many find unnecessary.

I rarely use it on my 60D for anything other than video, where it is a brilliant feature.

You will find that many ppl, such as myself, would not mind paying the extra 500 or a grand or whatever on top for that kind of screen on a pro body. Pro bodies are usually 1.5kg roughly in weight, another 500 gram or so arent gonna put professionals off to have something that would mean we will be able to get better/easier shots in many circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Flip out screens/Vari-angle LCD's

I can't add to why this isn't included in some higher spec'ed models, but I wanted to point out to all who may not know, that it is possible to link an Android phone or tablet to your camera and use it for a display.

Swiped on my Gnex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    I can't add to why this isn't included in some higher spec'ed models, but I wanted to point out to all who may not know, that it is possible to link an Android phone or tablet to your camera and use it for a display.

Swiped on my Gnex

I can shoot and have the photo shown on the ipad within a second or so but its still not true live view, and its not practical when you are in the field working, ie. in the middle of a protest or celebration with the camera above your head trying to take the shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wondered that myself a while back, so I did some googling. I read that canon had stated they did not include it as it would reduce the 'robustness' of the camera, creating weak points that are more susceptible to rough handling. Professionals expect the camera to take some weather and banging around, and hinges on a screen would weaken that drastically.

I also wondered about the lack of remote flash control. The reason for that was that the cameras are more used by professionals and a pop up flash, on top of the mega pentaprism the 5d3 has, was a redundant feature. Personally I would love that option, as a bit of fill flash means I have to whip out the 580exii beast and whack it on! Not having to purchase multiple flash controllers as well would have been a blessing!!
    Epicaricacy
    Canon 5Dmkiii and a variety of lenses and other bits and pieces

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it on my 60D and really wish it was on my 5D3.

I often take shots ona tripod mounted very low, and it's a real pain with the 5D3 as it means I need to get down really low too.

Personally, I'd trade a little "robustness" for a flippy screen.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.