Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ayers rock/ uluru

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ayers rock/ uluru

I'm hopefully stopping at Uluru in late November early December and would love any tips that you may be able to give me.
    Is there any other attractions that are worth shooting? we will only be there 2 nights so my time will be limited.
    The gear I will have will be Canon 5d mkIII with 24-105, 70-200, 150-500 and a 50mm lens with a flash and tripod cable release and more.

Any advice/tips would be most grateful.
    It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Canon 5D MKIII, Canon 550D, 70-200 Canon, 150-500 Sigma, 24-105 Canon, 50 Canon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been there but surprisingly for such a huge photographers hit list item there doesn't seem to be many shots of it posted. Have you any grad filters? They might be a benefit when shooting with a bright sky. My only suggestion is take several different exposures for each shot and use RAW so you can go back later and have some flexibility to correct errors. I'm getting a really strong urge to visit some of these amazing places in Aus so I am jealous of your opportunity. Have a great time.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Warus.

I have one grad filter but happy to buy more if that means I will have better out comes. Also the filter holder is for the 70-200mm only so another holder would be beneficial I guess.

Last time I was at Uluru was 1982 as a 5 year old and we climbed to the top and signed the book. My son is 5 now so it we be kind of special be there at the same age. Hmm I wonder if my dad has photos so I can get my son to pose in the same spot 30 years on, how cool would that be. Time to make a phone call I think.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rum pig View Post
    ....... and would love any tips that you may be able to give me.
    take and drink lots of water/fluids .. the less alcohol the better.

That is quite an oppressively hot time of year to be out that way.

I was there when it was still Ayers Rock and the walk through the valleys in the Olgas(Kata Tjuta) is impressive too.

Have you planned it as a loop, via King's Canyon and so forth? Or straight out there and back?
    I liked the tranquility of Palm Valley too. If time and itinerary allows.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think as above, a grad filter, obviously a tripod and some early mornings!

I was only there once, as a... 7 or 8 year old I think. I'll be back one day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only thought with a grad filter....the bit you want to photograph is pretty much 100% above the ground, against the sky, therefore you would be underexposing the actual rock as well... Perhaps a composite or HDR would work best for this?

If u can get the rock after a rainstorm, you will get some amazing colours coming from it.

Bloody hard to climb, very different form what I imagined when I went there!
    Epicaricacy
    Canon 5Dmkiii and a variety of lenses and other bits and pieces

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.
    We are driving to Adelaide from Darwin for a weeding so not much choice about time of year, It is just a quick stop over and then back on the hwy, I just could not drive by without trying to get some shots. If all things go to plan I will try sunrise and sun set shots.
    It sounds like grad filters might be the go so I might get some more.
    I was thinking last night that multiple exposes and then mix them in PS might give some nice results.
    Looks like I might just have fun experimenting

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arthurking83 View Post
    take and drink lots of water/fluids .. the less alcohol the better.

That is quite an oppressively hot time of year to be out that way.

I was there when it was still Ayers Rock and the walk through the valleys in the Olgas(Kata Tjuta) is impressive too.

Have you planned it as a loop, via King's Canyon and so forth? Or straight out there and back?
    I liked the tranquility of Palm Valley too. If time and itinerary allows.
    Coming from Darwin water is always part of anything we do but then again so is alcohol either way fluids will defiantly be on the list.
    I'm hoping the dry heat will be a pleasant change from our humidity. If I like it as much as I think I will I'm thinking we will be back next year during the dry season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ayers rock/ uluru

Setting up tripods and the like you may be asked about permits to photograph the rock these days, unfortunately.
    You may need to check with relevant authorities
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just come back from 6 days camping and did Uluru, Kata Tjuta(the Olgas), Kings Canyon and the West MacDonalds. It was a photographic tour so we went to the best spots at the best times. In two days that virtually gives you time to do Uluru and the Olgas. The Valley of the winds walk is a must. Suggest you jump onto the web and do some research. Couple of tips. Tripod a must especially for the sunrise and sunset shots. The light is fantastic. You will be there in the warmer months so carry plenty of water. Minimum of two litres per person. If you get a chance of doing Kings Canyon do it - it is fantastic. (that's where I needed the 2 litres. Over the next month of so I will be posting photos of my trip. Happy to provide you with more, just let me know. I carried a 10020mm lens, 16 to 85 and 70 to 300 as well as a 50mm prime. Most shots taken with the 16-85. If your into birdlife you will definitely need a longer lens. There is plenty to photograph.

- - - Updated - - -

PS. On tripods I used one all the time and was never challenged. However around Uluru there are a couple of sections you cant photograph but they are well marked.

- - - Updated - - -

PPS I just noticed you are Driving to Darwin. Stop and do Katherine George as well if you have time. There is a dinner cruise that will blow your mind. We did it. totally by accident.. its pricey but well worth it. Other than King's Canyon my wife says the boat trip was the highlight of our 3 weeks away.
    just want to get better
    NikonD7000, Lens 50mm 1.8; 16 to 85mm 3.5 - 5.6G; 70 to 300mm 4.5 to 5.6G;
    IMac and Aperture, CS6, Nik, OnOne Software, HDR Expose 2, Epson 3880

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ayers rock/ uluru

Quote Originally Posted by Matwil View Post

PS. On tripods I used one all the time and was never challenged. However around Uluru there are a couple of sections you cant photograph but they are well marked.
    That's good. The only reason I posted that was because you do need a permit if you are shooting for commercial purposes, and I was unsure how much gear they let you get away with before thinking you are there for commercial purposes.

Good info, matwil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as Grad filters, I had a set with me and did not use them around Uluru. This photo was taken at 3pm in the arvo, not filters at all and only level curves and a bit of contrast - just to give you an idea. The light is quite different to what I have been used to in the eastern states.

Ularu 001.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We had a commercial photographer with us and he couldn't take photos as he needs permission. He told me how they policed it was when you went to publish a phot. You need their written permission to publish stuff for commercial purposes. A commercial photogrpaher has to get approval to publish by submitting photos for approval. We thank god don't.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..... It is just a quick stop over and then back on the hwy, I just could not drive by without trying to get some shots. .........
    I'm not sure about the 'quick stop over' part, but it is a 500+ klm detour from the Stuart Hwy, at sane (100-110km/h) speeds factor in about 2.5-3hrs each way at least too.

My most vivid memories of driving there and back ... bloody cows on the road after twilight!..... and those 80km/h limited road trains.
    A dark cow on a dark road in the dark whilst traveling at 120k/h is something that you see, a second or two after you realised it was there!
    Mind you the pencil beam spotties ended up being useless ... I could see the road signs light up 1.5km away, but just could spot those damned cows.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been out that way 3 times now for various reasons over the last 4 or 5 years!

It never ceases to amaze me just what a special place it is, Im not simply talking Ularu (although it is), Im talking that whole area... Not sure if its because its such a trek to get to it that it really makes you appreciate it when you get there, or if there is something special going on? Who know, who cares - it is bloody brilliant, thats all that matters and it should be kept that way.

As has been said before, spend some time doing some research before you go.

Straight of the bat Id be suggesting Ularu, night and day, The Olga's (do the walks into the valley, not just look from the vantage points!), there is also the meteorite place off the Earnest Glies Road which you could take in on your way back to the highway. Also Palm valley, West MacDonalds.

Just thinking about it makes me want to jump in the Land Rover and re visit the place!

As for gear, just make sure you take a tripod, some good quality WIDE glass and some spare time to wait for the light!

Have fun,
    Jon

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day RP

Been to Uluru 3 or 4 times - the best time was when I walked around the base - took a whole day to do the 8km circumference coz there was so much to see and capture. If you can time it so that you don't suffer the extremes of the heat, so much the better

There are so many nooks & crevices around the base it's mind boggling - some art work is in good nic - other stuff is showing the ravages of time & lack of maintenance [as only initiated men are allowed to do it]

Your 3-day entry pass should be sufficient for your purposes > so enjoy yourself
    Regards, Phil
    Of all the stuff in a busy photographers kitbag, the ability to see photographically is the most important
    google me at Travelling School of Photography
    images.: flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Uluru is the iconic spot out there, but as arthurking83 mentioned its a 600km detour and, apart from the cattle on the road, for the last 100km there and then back out, you have to be particularly careful of camels. We were last there 12 months ago & a week before we left the Alice a chap had to be medivac'd to Alice Springs after he came over a rise at 80km straight in to a train of them.

Our first time there was the first week in December 5 years ago and it was 43deg both days and overnight min's of 30+ and quite humid (by southern standards at least)

If you can I'd try to get a flight over the rock, the view gives it a whole different perspective.

Our 1st trip there we flew in on QANTAS. The pilot had done a long decent so we hadn't noticed the lower height, then suggested we looked out to the left as he then started to bank. That first sight was incredible.

If the side trip out there does sound a bit long you could consider doing a loop out through the West MacDonalds. Out Namatjira Drive and back Larapinta, about 250km. You could see Simpson Gap, Standley Chasm, Ellery Creek Big Hole, Red Gap. Gosses Bluff & Palm Valley. Accommodation is available at Glen Helen Resort about 1/2 way around, and all but about 60km is sealed.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Than you everyone for your reply's I do wish we had more time but our schedule is tight.
    We will be driving from Alice to Uluru and staying at Uluru or just out side the park for two night and then onto Cooper Peedy and spend two nights there. As I'm the only one in the house with a a passion for photography I will be using all my credits while at Uluru and try and squeeze in two sun sets and two rises.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Than you everyone for your reply's I do wish we had more time but our schedule is tight.
    We will be driving from Alice to Uluru and staying at Uluru or just out side the park for two night and then onto Cooper Peedy and spend two nights there. As I'm the only one in the house with a a passion for photography I will be using all my credits while at Uluru and try and squeeze in two sun sets and two rises.
    To be honest there's not much in coober peedy to keep you entertained for 2 nights (& presumably days). Even though the rest of the tribe isn't keen on photography, there's much more to do in the Alice area.

You could also forget stopping at coober peedy and head straight onto Port Augusta. I'm thinking sunrise shots, brekky, hit the black stuff!

Sent using Forum Runner

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventureoverland View Post

To be honest there's not much in coober peedy to keep you entertained for 2 nights (& presumably days). Even though the rest of the tribe isn't keen on photography, there's much more to do in the Alice area.

You could also forget stopping at coober peedy and head straight onto Port Augusta. I'm thinking sunrise shots, brekky, hit the black stuff!

Sent using Forum Runner
    The main thing is to not be too rigid in your plans. Make your mind up as you go along if that suits better.

Sent using Forum Runner

Ausphotography Site Sponsor/Advertiser OzzieTraveller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day RP

Coober Pedy eh .... My 100% for you if possible is to detour off the main hwy about 25km north of CP into "the Breakaways" - a geological masterpiece where some of the mad max films were shot all those years ago. The Breakaways are a wonderful collection of eroded hills and I'm sure that you'll go photographically nutz while there

After you've driven thru the area you meet the N/S road from Oodnadatta and then arrive in CP from the N East instead of the N West

Here's some samples

Whatever you decide, travel safely ...
    Regards, Phil

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your reply's. sorry it has taken me so long to reply but I have no internet at home at the moment.

Sent using Forum Runner
    Cooper peedy stop is mainly for my son of 5 years to show him the under ground houses, in theory it will be two nights one day. I thought there would be some mine tours that we could do as well once again for the young fellow to expand his mind from the realms of the cartoon world LOL.

The main thing is to not be too rigid in your plans. Make your mind up as you go along if that suits better.

Sent using Forum Runner
    I had to laugh just after I read this and I mean no more than 2 min after I get a text from SWMBO saying she has booked our accommodation in Uluru and CP, she can be very efficient me I book the night before I arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieTraveller View Post
    G'day RP

Coober Pedy eh .... My 100% for you if possible is to detour off the main hwy about 25km north of CP into "the Breakaways" - a geological masterpiece where some of the mad max films were shot all those years ago. The Breakaways are a wonderful collection of eroded hills and I'm sure that you'll go photographically nutz while there

After you've driven thru the area you meet the N/S road from Oodnadatta and then arrive in CP from the N East instead of the N West

Here's some samples

Whatever you decide, travel safely ...
    Regards, Phil
    This sounds and looks great especially with the mad max connection. I had a look on google maps and could not see it, is it sign posted? what is the road like? I will be taking a 4X4 but not recovery gear (or minimal) as room in the car is going to be at a premium. if it just up the road it could be a good evening trip, if you have any more it would be appreciated.
    I would love to do the Oodnadatta one day maybe when my 40 has been finished.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast