Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  28
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginner Myths about photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Leadbetter View Post
    I turned my hobby into a job, and it's the greatest job in the history of the world ever. (Except for the bit where you get stuck processing images on the computer, though even that's much better since I just outsource that to India these days)
    Dont understand , You dont process your images anymore ? What type of images do you outsource for someone overseas to process ?
    Last edited by William; 11-12-2012 at 12:40pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smatheson View Post
    Photoshop can enhance a good photo but will never fix a bad photo!
    I disagree: all my photos are bad!
    CC, Image editing OK.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turned my hobby into a job, and it's the greatest job in the history of the world ever. (Except for the bit where you get stuck processing images on the computer, though even that's much better since I just outsource that to India these days)
    Hey Michael, seeing as we haven't seen an image from you on the site yet I would really love to see some samples of the editing from India.

Might save me a lot of time if it is cost effective.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm like to learn more about the outsourcing of the processing to India. You never know, us other blokes and ladies might want to do the same to save us time and trouble.

Your a lucky bloke, Michael, to have the greatest job in the history of the world 'ever', but you have stop 'loosing' your Eneloop batteries. I never 'loose' mine as I always leave a little charge in them so they can answer me when I whistle. It works well.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Except for the bit where you get stuck processing images on the computer, though even that's much better since I just outsource that to India these days)
    I assume you've forgotten the sarcasm tags ?
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread is getting way off track about photography myths that beginners fall for. Let's make sure it gets back to what it is supposed to be about.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always use a tripod for better pictures

I've seen a few beginner photographers drag massive, heavy tripods around to take photos of people in bright sunlight using fast shutter speeds.

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darkbhudda View Post
    Always use a tripod for better pictures
    I've seen a few beginner photographers drag massive, heavy tripods around to take photos of people in bright sunlight using fast shutter speeds.
    Tripods and support in general are not well understood.
    For landscapes and long exposures tripods are great.
    For wildlife a monopod is really useful.
    The real answer is it depends! So the main thing is to think first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner Myths about photography

I started years ago with film and ya had to wait for the film to be developed. That to me was photography and now it has become something else. How ever one thing is for sure it is harder these days learning all the new technology of the modern camera to the software.

I think we all are beginners in some way and the myths are growing day by day.

But bottom line the basics are still the same, it's just the technology growing at a huge rate.
    Newbie to the world of Digital Gear: Nikon D60 - 18-55mm - 55 - 200mm - SB400 - New Sigma 10-20mm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/vk5mmm

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I smelled a troll!
    My main myth is very generic:
    "My pictures will be fixed by 'x' piece of gear"

For instance "my pictures will be fixed by this new GND set I got"

Actually, if you use them badly, the pictures can look even worse! With any aspect of photography, learning how to use the equipment and not its mere acquisition is what will improve your photography
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7.) You need to bring ALL your gear with you out, ALL the time when shooting. Otherwise you might miss something!

Totally not true. Especially when out during the day shooting people or street in general. Leave the tripod at home! Bringing bags of gear (could be your kit lenses, a tripod, flash unit/s, reflectors etc) encumbers you, and could very well have you miss some shots if you feel the need to change your lens for a moment in front of you that could be gone in a minute or less. Which leads me to my next one...

8.) "I wish I had x lens, then I could get x shot and it would be great for sure!"

That statement is a surefire way to blow a lot of money fast on lenses you may not actually need. Rather than worry about how to acheive a shot with a particular lens, think how you can achieve the shot with what you currently have. You don't need the entire focal range to acheive photos! A lot of the time, it is simply stepping back a few feet back or forward to acheive a shot. For low light, a fast prime lens will cover you...for everything else, as long as you are in your approximate focal range you need, you will be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are myths??? kidding, thanks for the information, really helpful thread to ease my mind and bring me down back to earth (#6)

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some good tips and myth bustin' here.

Here is one. Myth: M is the holly grail of creative photography. Well no M , AV and TV all have there uses in creative photography.
    Cameras have been able to adjust exposure on the fly in AV and TV modes for many years so you might as well take advantage of it when the situation calls for it.

Hot tip: Before thinking all technical about the picture, take the time to work out what it is about and how best to convey that.
    Not always necessary with familiar subject matter where you have previously done that ground work, but more those less familiar shots where you think "that would make a good shot" and you take the picture before thinking why it is a good shot and how to make that obvious to someone else from an image.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12