Thread: Beginner Myths about photography

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Beginner Myths about photography

We often see new members join up and asking questions like 'which brand should I buy' or 'what course should I do'

Exploding the myths.

1. One brand of camera is better than the others.

I blame existing photographers for this one. Whether jokingly or not, we all often make a comment that implies our own brand choice was the best one. It does not matter how expensive (or cheap) your camera is, or what name label it has on it, no camera is perfect and the best thing you can do is learn.

Learn how to use your camera. once you understand how a camera works and the basics of photography, then you will understand that the camera is no the major determining factor in producing great photos, you are.

2. My photos are crap

There is no such thing as instantly being a great photographer! Practice is what makes your photography better. The more you learn about your gear, how it works, how to frame your scene, how to process your photos, then you will start to see improvements. Professional photographers are made not born.

If you think your photos are crap, why are they crap? You have the power to change that. But you have to put the effort in.

I need to do courses to become a great photographer

it is true that you need to learn, but you do not need to do courses to learn. Some of the top photographers in the world are self-taught. Yes you can go out today and sign up for a photography course, but once completed, it may not make you a great photographer. Just cause someone is a self taught photographer does not make them an inferior photographer, in fact, quite often the opposite is true. Self taught photographers often learnt by trial and error and have their own unique way of seeing the world through their lenses. Those who do courses, will often see the world the way they were taught to do so. Yes you need to learn, but you don't have to do a fine arts degree/diploma to do so.

4. My camera is not good enough

Any camera will not produce good photos if you do not know how to use it. So you have an entry level DSLR and think it is not good enough. OK, I hand you a $45,000 Hasselblad and say here you go, take great photos. Could you?

If you think your camera is not good enough, then you do not know how to use it properly. Simple as that.

5. Don't worry about that you can fix it in photoshop. (From Shelly)

Aim to get the best image possible in camera. Editing is part of the process, but you want a good image to start with.

6. Getting lots of compliments about your photography on Facebook and from family and friends means you’re ready to shoot professionally. (From Kym)

When your family, friends, co-workers, and assorted acquaintances see your images, they will almost always say very complimentary things.
    Why?
    Because they are think your images look better than their happy snaps.
    Also, generally they like you and will therefore complement anything you do.

Paying customers don’t compare your images to their snaps.
    They compare your work to what they see in magazines, online and on the TV.
    The know what professional quality images look like, and they will know if you’re not up to that standard.

Solution!
    Face facts, you're not ready to go professional until your images start selling.
    When people want to part with real money for your images then you're likely to be ready for the big step.

*****************************************************************************************************************

If anyone else has a myth that they want to explode about photography, especially those relevant to beginners, please feel free to add it to this thread.
    Last edited by ricktas; 02-11-2012 at 9:04pm. Reason: Shelly's comment
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography