Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: Flickr Help

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flickr Help

A while ago, Rick posted some great info on Flickr, with respect to copyright and how third parties can use your images.

I can't locate Rick's original post, but was wondering if someone can advise me on how to stop people from being able to download my pictures out of my flickr account, without premission. As in to stop any chance of my pictures being used/downloaded with out my concent.

When I last had a Pro account, you couldn't, but I let it slip by a month, have re-instated myself to Pro level for that reason, but people can just take my images straight from Flickr.

I'm trying to locate the settings for this process. Can ayone advise please?

Thanks in advance.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't. If you can display the image, then you can take a screen copy. If you don't want anyone to use your images without consent, then don't post them. Of course, that destroys the whole point for many, which is to share the photos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click on down arrow next to "You" to bring up the drop down menu.
    Click on "Your account" on that menu.
    When it loads, click on the "Privacy & Permissions" tab.
    Click on "edit" next to "Who can access your original image files"

However, if you read the disclaimer above it when you go to that page, all it does is discourage people from downloading them, it does not make them undownloadable. Once an image is viewed on your computer, it's stored there somewhere (normally in a temporary data folder within your browser's directory structure I think from memory), and can always be searched up and found by someone familiar enough with their computer. Or as mentioned above, they can screen capture. The difference with that method is the lowness of the quality they'll get from a screen cap.
    Last edited by Ezookiel; 04-10-2012 at 2:45pm.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. You can stop people 'right clicking' and copying...but you can't stop them from doing a screen shot!! The quality though, of a screen shot, would be very poor. Has someone taken one of yours??
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Ausphotography Veteran
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    You can't. If you can display the image, then you can take a screen copy. If you don't want anyone to use your images without consent, then don't post them. Of course, that destroys the whole point for many, which is to share the photos.
    Cheers Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    Click on down arrow next to "You" to bring up the drop down menu.
    Click on "Your account" on that menu.
    When it loads, click on the "Privacy & Permissions" tab.
    Click on "edit" next to "Who can access your original image files"

However, if you read the disclaimer above it when you go to that page, all it does is discourage people from downloading them, it does not make them undownloadable. Once an image is viewed on your computer, it's stored there somewhere (normally in a temporary data folder within your browser's directory structure I think from memory), and can always be searched up and found by someone familiar enough with their computer. Or as mentioned above, they can screen capture. The difference with that method is the lowness of the quality they'll get from a screen cap.
    Thanks Ezookiel, this is what I was after, but I must have misunderstood from before, I thought you could stop people taking my work. Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Monny View Post
    Exactly. You can stop people 'right clicking' and copying...but you can't stop them from doing a screen shot!! The quality though, of a screen shot, would be very poor. Has someone taken one of yours??
    Not sure MM, The right click thing is blocked, checked that, but as above, didn't realise that you could double click, then select any size you want and take it. Watermarking may be my best friend then.

Thank you all.