User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: I spilt wine on my new laptop!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spilt wine on my new laptop!!!!

Hi everyone
    some of you already know I had a wine incident with my 8 month old laptop about 3 weeks ago. I am now in the throws of deciding on a new one.

After much indecision Ive decided not to go the Mac road and have come up with two laptops that I think could be suitable for my needs.

Mostly the laptop will be for email, shopping, facebook among other girly pursuits however I also want to be able to accurately and efficiently edit photos when I am away for longer periods.

My dead laptop was a super light weight i7 ASUS. It was the model that came out just before all the Ultra books came out so was essentially an utra book style laptop. My biggest frustrations with it were the size of the screen....13 inch was too small and the quality of the screen was poor...even after calibrating it, it did not perform. It was wishy washy and not crisp.

I don't actually travel with my lap top very often so an ultrabook style is not really necessary.

The models I have come up with are these:

ASUS 15.5 inch N56VM

1920x1080 LED Antiglare full HD Res Screen
    3rd gen i73610QM~3.3gHz
    2 GB NIVIDIA GeForce GT630M video card
    16GB DDR3 memory
    750Gb SATA HDDe
    Bang and Olufsen/Sonicmaster Sound with subwoofer
    Built in wireless display
    usb3
    N wireless
    Win 7 premium 64 bit
    Bluray combo
    2 years warranty
    weight 2.8kg

OR

15.5 inch Sony Vaio S series 15
    Full Hd1920x1080 LED Backlit screen with anti reflective glossy finish and IPS panel
    i7 3612QM 2.10 GH with turbo boost to 3.10 GHz
    2GB NIVIDA GeForce GT 640M Graphics
    8 Gb memory upgradable to 12Gb
    750Gb HDD
    DVD drive (although I think there is a bluray version available)
    USB 2 and 3
    windows 7 professional
    weight 2kg

Both of these I can get for about the same price. I don't know which way to go any advice would be appreciated. The ASUS seems to have better features but........the Sony has an IPS display!!
    What do you think??

Cheers Karen
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Although the end result is you getting a better laptop, I think you should not waste any more wine.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You note that the Sony has an IPS panel, but you don't tell us what the Asus has. Certainly IPS is good for photography, so try and find out what type of screen the Asus has.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Although the end result is you getting a better laptop, I think you should not waste any more wine.
    The latter part is a good point!

Perhaps a vintage computer would be the go? Consider that a 1960s model manual typewriter would be more resistant to wine spillage.
    In fact, it could be an advantage, affording some colour to the display.

(In vino veritas.)
    CC, Image editing OK.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick...the Asus simply says for the display that it is a 1920 x 1080 LED antilare Full High def resolution screen

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Ameerat42....my husband did threaten to get me a typewriter!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a new rule... no wine near laptop!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not many , other than that sony will have a IPS display..I note you say its Glossy yet antireflective at the same time ...go check that out and make sure its the case..reflection is a pain when editing .

as far as specs go..they are much of a muchness....the single and most important part of a Laptop purchase for photo editing is the screen specs.....I feel it must be anti reflective/matte and have pretty good viewing angles..at least 60/60/60/60 degrees....I recently bought a laptop solely for tethered shooting/editing.....its a older model Dell 17 inch with two HDs..one of which I upgraded to a SSD , and that has certainly been the biggest improvement as far as performance goes ....also as it has two Hds,,the other becomes solely storage...the screen was a 1600x900 tn panel which was reflective.so I pulled that out and replaced it with a 1080x1920 anti glare...much better and with a huge improvement in viewing angles

so to recap...make the biggest importance when buying a new laptop the screen specs
    Last edited by Tommo1965; 03-10-2012 at 5:51pm.
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update! I have just unboxed my new Sony Vaio and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Very happy screen is AMAZING!!!!!!!
    My husband gave it to me with Gladwrap wrapped around the keyboard!! I think he was trying to tell me something!