User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: N E 1 with mad PS skills?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N E 1 with mad PS skills?

This is a stitch of 4 jpegs, done in PS5, then played with the exposure to try & increase the detail in the shadow at the bottom of the gorge.

The bit that looks like quartz at the middle bottom isn't it is blown out.
    The bit bottom left of that is the reflection I want to get to.

This is the best result so far, I couldn't get this good with the RAW files.

Am I trying to do the impossible? TBH I'm surprised I got this far, but it's not quite the picture I want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g_bambe...in/photostream
    gb From GB
    C&C is more than welcome, it's encouraged.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may have better luck recovering the shadow details in the raw files.

the shadow recovery in the central foreground looks awkward on that image.

Did you do HDR or exposure blending with multiple exposures as well?

You got good detail in the rocks .. but that shadow recovery is letting the image down.

I'm wondering why you "couldn't get this good with the raw files" .. raw files always have more room for adjustment when compared to jpgs.
    But if the data isn't there (eg, for recovery in the shadows) .. then it's just not there and you could be wasting your efforts.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been to Karijini several times and heading back there for a 2 week stay in March.

It's a tough place to shoot - 1/20s hand held deep in the gorges and 16 stops (or more) of light differential in others.

Bracketing is the only way, or perhaps a good lighting optimiser.

Last time I think I had the 40D, but will be returning with the 5DMKIII.

I'd like to ask you to put this one up as an editing challenge, put the original RAW on the web, link it and ask others to make adjustment and post to the forum what they did.
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I must apologise for ignoring your post, I changed my computer & didn't do a very good job of recording user names nor passwordsThanks for the suggestion, I will do that as soon as I get my Flickr account sorted!