Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  6

Thread: DAM - cataloguing and editing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAM - cataloguing and editing

Hi everyone,

I'm curious about what others use for their digital asset management (DAM)... I've been through a few programs - ACDSee (ripped version years ago), then Zoner (free version), and lately decided to update to a paid version so installed the Lightroom 4 trial.

Way back when, long before LR was released, I created an adobe.com login and set it to USA, as software has always been cheaper in the USA. I went to buy LR through the US store with an Australian credit card, and shortly after got a phone call from the CC provider checking if it was me or someone else trying to use the card! Then I tried through the Aus store and it wouldn't let me since my account says USA. I've been through two different support people at Adobe tonight trying to get my account changed from USA to Aus but they won't do it - I'm told to create a new email account and then a new Adobe account. Bugger that - I've already created one for AP and not going to keep spreading more across multiple accounts! Aus support is closed for the night now...

I use GIMP for when things like LR isn't quite suitable or I want to do different or more complex things. I don't plan at this stage to change that.

So... what are others using for DAM - importing, basic editing, exports etc? Who has tried more than one item such application? I've seen reviews of some others, but not really a comparison - review or real life? Which did you settle on? Why?

(Yes, Adobe's annoyed me, so looking for options.) Any info appreciated!
    Last edited by ScottM; 24-09-2012 at 9:02pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So noone has any idea why they chose what they did? Or what did/didn't work for them with particular applications?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i use lightoom. works well with my setup. i reckon you will find the lack of replies relate to your reference to being annoyed at adobe, so everyone who uses an adobe product thought they mught as well not comment. i did, till i saw your second post. i read your first post and thought no use replying cause he doesnt want to hear that i use adobe products.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too thought that you were looking for non-Adobe options, so didn't bother with a response. I use LR4 and PSE9 (rarely), having moved up from GIMP. I wouldn't use anything else but LR4 now that I've seen what it can do and the time and effort it can save me.

Like all large organisations, Adobe has become a tad arrogant towards the little customers. Unfortunately, the LR4 product will keep us all persisting in spite of that arrogance for a while longer. I don't trust the cloud, and Apple is just as arrogant (I'm a Mac user with quite a few Apple alternatives for DAM). My suggestion, next trip to the big smoke call in at your nearest software reseller and buy the box.
    Waz
    Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who matter don't mind don't matter and those who mind don't matter - Dr. Seuss...
    D700 x 2 | Nikkor AF 50 f/1.8D | Nikkor AF 85 f/1.8D | Optex OPM2930 tripod/monopod | Enthusiasm ...

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL!

I too was annoyed with Adobe software.. mainly PS years before.

When I searched for DAM management software, a few were recommended, but in the end I went with IDImager.
    Massively powerful, and I suppose one day I'll end up using some of it's features.
    Note that the newest version of IDImager is called Photo Supreme .. it used to be called just IDImager version something.

At the moment all I use it for is for searching keywords and exif info, so as to not lose track of all my images.

highly recommended.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I know a lot of people here do use LR. I'm not averse to buying Lightroom, or too annoyed to purchase still. Before handing over the virtual dosh I'm just trying to find out what else is being actively used by AP members, and why (ie what features 'sold' them on a particular product').

I tried an online purchase through Adobe the other night, then through two of their online reps. The upshot being that I would have to create a new email address and new Adobe account to purchase. After posting my original query I still sent Adobe's phone number to my work account so I could purchase over the phone if needed and when I had the time.

Nothing against LR - I've been impressed enough to (try to) buy it!

Thanks Arthur. I came across that yesterday and one reviewer was pretty impressed by it. The web site doesn't really sell itself compared to the review I saw, but will download and check that out tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only other non adobe one I can think of is Infranview. Freebie. google it.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're working on Windows platform and free is your go, I can recommend Fastone Image Viewer. It lets you view all of your files, including common RAW formats such as DNG, PEF, NEF, etc. It also reads EXIF data and lets you make some adjustments to the images. It also lets you call up an external image editor like GIMP from within the viewer. Just a thought. All the same, I wouldn't swap it for LR4 but then that runs great on a 64-bit iMac with lots of RAM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 2 primary programs/DAM

LIGHTROOM - I use this primarily for:

-processing RAW files from DSLR format
    -tethering for DSLR format
    -common knowledge from my assistants and colleagues in operating program while I am shoot

CAPTURE ONE PRO - I use this when:

-I am processing medium format files
    -tethering with medium format
    -it is the industry standard for the best tethering program for medium format
    -very fast and efficient
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Lightroom 4, and apart from finding it slow when editing (a problem a number of users experience from my reading of forums - waaay slower than 3 - but not a problem everyone experiences), it is brilliant. I occasionally dip into Photoshop to edit a photo, but not often as LR covers most bases with me.

Great cataloguing, great raw processing, great exporting options to wherever (I use smugmug and flickr)
    Epicaricacy
    Canon 5Dmkiii and a variety of lenses and other bits and pieces

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use LR4. I catalogue etc in LR and use CS5 for processing, not because LR cannot do it, I just get more fun out of CS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im using Capture one Pro, Media Pro for cataloguing and PS CS5 for times when I need a bit more than capture one can do..although I'm finding that capture one is quite a powerful imaging editor and I rarely use PS..I bought it mainly for Tethered shooting .

capture one is on half price sale until the end of september
    Cheers and my name is Steve

OMD Em1...Now with two lenses !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_tompsett/
    http://tommo.smugmug.com/

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Waz and Jackie.

FastStone I'd heard of but didn't know much about - I thought it was more viewer than organiser and editor. Worth checking out!
    Capture One - interesting! I didn't realise it was by PhaseOne. The feature list looks quite comprehensive, especially the Pro version. I can imagine tethered shooting would be very useful in your line of work, especially wireless. Good to know it's fast dealing with medium format files (at least). I'm using a D90, so cropped, but worth a comparison too.

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Epicaricacy, Fess and Steve.

Agreed about LR being suitable for most things, and an external editor for when more is needed - or for fun During the LR trial I've exported a photo a couple times then gone into GIMP or a noise reduction app - coz I can and am used to those apps. Bloat almost always makes later versions slower, and I did find LR slow with some operations.

Good to see another vote for Capture One from Steve. I just noticed on their web site that the price when 'buy' is clicked is cheaper than the web page shows. Pity Capture One is a separate product to Media Pro, but think I'll start a download now and see what it's like.

Am (not-eerat) going to pull the lever within the next week on one product or another - have a need for some batch editing and organising of a sports event over the next 10 days.

Cheers again!

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

I've just finished posting a tournament that I needed to process and organise around 5000 images. After looking at different software I settled on Lightroom because of how long it would have taken to learn enough of something different in a short time. I'm only using a subset of features at the moment but will definitely learn quite a few more shortly.

Incidentally, I also purchased a D600 for the high ISO handling. Very nice camera to use, and will do me for quite a few years

Will post up a bit of a comparison between the different products, and some photos when I have a chance