Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: NEX 7 - anyone using or used?

Ausphotography Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NEX 7 - anyone using or used?

I was looking at this as a replacement for the Lumix. Anyone used one? Care to share your impressions/pros/cons?
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the old version NEX-5. The IQ is definitely superb (since it has APS size sensor), the only issue is the selection of the lenses and the price of the lenses. IMHO they already announce NEX-6 which is actually has some better feature (vs. NEX-7). You might want to wait a bit. Steve Huff (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/) has quite a good real life review for these series.

PS: Other alternative will be going for m4/3 cameras (such as Olympus, Panasonic). They have more lens selection vs. Sony.
    Beaten up OMD EM-5 with lots of gaffer tapes + some tiny lenses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I have had my Nex 7 for 6 weeks. Personally it would still be the Nex of choice for me, the tri-nav interface and 24m sensor did it for me. Regards Roger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEX lens selection is improving heaps, and the quality of them is well above average. there are plenty of new sony lenses coming out soon, and a couple of zeiss prototypes in the works. while not as broad as m4/3, it is still much better than the Nikon CX lens offering. with the recently announced olympus partnership, i'm hoping the lens offering improves even further. which might create critical mass for other third parties to jump on board.

i'm quite happy with the 5N, but am waiting to test out the 6 with the 16-50 compact zoom. i can't comment on the 7 from personal experience though.
    Thanks,
    Nam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the NEX 7 and it is a jewel of a camera.

I wanted something light but with good image quality. The camera can take while to set up because it is very customisable, but once you have it how you want it is very easy to use. The tri-nav system is great once you get used to it and the viewfinder is excellent for an evf. It's amazing how Sony fits it all into such a small package.

Image Quality is great, with excellent resolution and very good dynamic range but can't match the 16mp cameras for high ISO noise performance. I advise getting the best lenses to get maximum IQ. The range of available lenses is growing and there look to be a few interesting options hitting the market soon. Of course you can use most lenses with an adaptor but SLR lenses and an adaptor are so large as to miss the point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And with Hasselblad announcing their Lunar model with E mount lens (and a strong rumour they are going to have a rebadged A99 A mount as well) I think we can expect a few more lenses at the top end of the market

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...rorless-camera

Mark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Odillie, I dont have the Nex 7, I have the Sony A77, same sensor and similar features. I love it.

A big benifit is the number of adaptors available for using different lenes from other manufacturers.

You could have a look here http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/oktoberf...opic91926.html where a number of people are using them for a month long challenge.

Here http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/nex-adap...opic88155.html is info on adaptors.
    Mark

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I would give this a bump. Anyone else using a NEX and can report. I may be able to fund one in the not too distant future, so it is back on my agenda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Odille,

Have you read about the speed booster adaptor yet? Adapt all your full frame canon lenses to the sony with the same field of view as the full frame and it speeds up the max aperture or something. (I didn't quite understand how that worked)

There was a thread about it here on AP ....

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...hlight=adaptor

I'd be nearly enough to get me!
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    Hey Odille,

Have you read about the speed booster adaptor yet? Adapt all your full frame canon lenses to the sony with the same field of view as the full frame and it speeds up the max aperture or something. (I didn't quite understand how that worked)

There was a thread about it here on AP ....

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...hlight=adaptor

I'd be nearly enough to get me!
    Very inyeresting . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Very inyeresting . . .
    That's what I thought! I didn't exactly understand how it all works though. It would be nice if they could incorporate this sort of technology into aps-c DG lenses for DSLR's too. Assuming they can do it without an IQ loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    That's what I thought! I didn't exactly understand how it all works though. It would be nice if they could incorporate this sort of technology into aps-c DG lenses for DSLR's too. Assuming they can do it without an IQ loss.
    Think of it has an inverse teleconverter, it also would have some of the same issues teleconverters have to a degree, so I doubt there would be no IQ loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, all reports on this say that there is IQ loss, I've seen a couple of 100% crops and although they're not bad, they're not great either.

Inverse Teleconverter .... Kind of like looking through binoculars backwards?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NEX-7 and only use MF lenses, not keen on AF so for me its easy. With MF lenses focus peaking built into the NEX is pretty amazing. Mainly I take birds shots and 90% would be in flight shots using legacy lenses. The NEX-7 you can really crop and still hold details.

All the best and for me, its easy, all I use is manual settings

Danny.
    Using a box that goes .... click !!