Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  0

Thread: Workflow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Workflow

Hi all first time forum user...so here goes,
    I am a beginner photographer. I am working with programs such as lightroom, photoshop etc. I am wanting to seek some advice on managing my files in computer so not to double up so much and keep my computer from having so much stored.
    I use light room but am getting slightly confused as to understanding completely what happens to files - ON THE C DRIVE when im importing and then exporting and using LR. I guess I am doubling up on everything and dont need to. Is the best way to avoid this by - JUST USING LIGHTROOM by downloading photos straight to LR then exporting to say a hard drive to save and store. Just starting to have so many folders and need to work out a better workflow i think. Any ideas? Thanks

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Use Lightroom.

Import from your memory card to the location you want the files to be. Mine is setup in year, then month, then subject, and I apply keywords to the photos as I import them.

So my file setup is:

Year > month and descriptive folder name : keywords assigned to photo on import
    2011 > February Wedding Sally and Dick : Sally, Dick, Wedding, Church, Reception, St Michaels, Hobart
    2011 > March Sunrise seascapes smith beach : seascapes, sunrise, beach, smith beach, rocks, Tasmania
    2012 > June AP member meet mt wellington : ap meet, mt wellington, sunset, pinnacle, Hobart

So each year gets a new overall folder and within each folder is the month the photos were taken and an overall descriptive folder title. Then I use the keywords to add to the files on import as I can then search for the files years later, by doing a keyword. So if Sally wants some photos from her reception printed again in 2017, I can search in Lightroom for Sally, wedding, reception, and find those photos fairly much instantly.

Welcome to AP, Hope we get to see some of your photography soon.
    Last edited by ricktas; 25-09-2012 at 3:20pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick,
    I do follow exactly that workflow, and it works perfect as its very organised and I know where everything is...Its really more that im finding im starting to have folders in several locations. I have then on c drive and LR and then save them to external hard drive. ? can they just be in LR and work with LR only???? Are you saying to just import them direct in to LR?...will this save them to my c drive anyway. I also want to find out bit more about add, move, copy options when importing? I have been through the tutorials but its not clicking with me just yet. The light bulb is yet to go on!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am thinking you do not have a full understanding of how LR works. LR is, as well as editing a Digital Assets Management (DAM) package. You can tell lightroom to import the photos into its database and leave them where they are (on the drive) or import them and make a copy elsewhere (for lightroom to access). Lightroom itself does not hold copies of your files, it just has a management tool to know where to find them on your computer.