Thread: Used the NBN today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Used the NBN today

I got the experience the NBN in action today as my mum is now connected to it. My mum got a 100Mbps connection.

All I can say is that it is FAST. We downloaded an entire HD movie to her T-Box in under 10 minutes (The Avengers). Pages for AP basically opened in full as quick as you could click them. I was testing it out and jumping from link to link at one stage and it was amazing. Even attaching photos to upload. As soon as I clicked they were uploaded and ready.

One thing we did notice is that now her phone line goes through the NBN, if she is on the phone, and I call, I do not get an engaged signal, I got a funny little beep (lasts about 2 seconds) and then disconnected. And the tone you get for it ringing when you call it, is different as well. It still sounds like a ring tone, it's just different.

Certainly speed wise, it is an amazing increase on ADSL.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Regular wideangle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A major issue I can see is those who need to connect via satellite. Whilst the download speeds will be much better than they have had in the past, the download quota compared to those who are using the NBN with fibre or wireless is very small.
    please ask before PP my images

"Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans"

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wideangle View Post
    A major issue I can see is those who need to connect via satellite. Whilst the download speeds will be much better than they have had in the past, the download quota compared to those who are using the NBN with fibre or wireless is very small.
    It's the same with wireless. High cost low quota. Also BigPong has a monopoly on people in remote areas so as they control it they have the monopoly and can get away with charging ridiculously high fees. Satellite is a lot cheaper but the modems cost the earth.
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 25-09-2012 at 3:57pm.

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktas View Post
    ...the NBN in action...a 100Mbps connection...All I can say is that it is FAST.......Pages for AP basically opened in full as quick as you could click them...
    Certainly speed wise, it is an amazing increase on ADSL.
    What else could you WHOOSH! for?

But Rick, about downloading pages from AP and such, I thought that the server speed would be a limiting factor for the NBN?
    Am.
    CC, Image editing OK.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    What else could you WHOOSH! for?

But Rick, about downloading pages from AP and such, I thought that the server speed would be a limiting factor for the NBN?
    Am.
    Our server is pretty damn fast. We run on an 8 core processor

Arch-Σigmoid Ausphotography Regular ameerat42's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's interesting, and fast. But I was wondering about servers generally. I guess there would be some effect (??)
    Am.

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameerat42 View Post
    That's interesting, and fast. But I was wondering about servers generally. I guess there would be some effect (??)
    Am.
    Definitely, but when we moved AP earlier in the year we moved to the fastest I could afford to pay for the site, so that it should do us well into the future. I agree that server and connection speeds are going to come into play, especially when accessing a site that has to bounce around the world between it and your computer, to make the connection. Those links are going to the weak point in the chain for sites.