Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll..what do you prefer to shoot

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo1965 View Post
    Looking at the way this poll is shaping up, Id have to say yes Mark….my theory is proven.

The theory was that the amount of CC and thread replies posters get at AP for their posted Images will have a direct reflection depending on the subject matter and subsequent forum that the shots are posted in .
    Basically if your posting landscape or wildlife images your get a higher percentage of replies than if your posting in a “people” forum based on the members preferences at AP.
    Yup .... that's my experience of the photo world. In my camera club, an "Open" subject is a defacto landscape competition, and yet some wanted a Set Subject comp to be "Landscapes" !!! Enough already...... try something new, experiment, tell a story, get out of your comfort zone and learn something new!

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a good rule of thumb that if you want to win a local photo club comp, then enter a landscape or a wildlife shot. Other photos don't generally do so well. Of course if you want to do something unique, or even a little different, you will have to accept that winning comps isn't everything.
    I'll have a burst of people photos soon, plus lots of videos and time-lapse.
    What's your stretch target, Bob?

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    Of course if you want to do something unique, or even a little different, you will have to accept that winning comps isn't everything.
    Amen to that! Although I have done reasonably well by taking them out of their comfort zones. If you try something new often they'll follow you down that path, and sometimes judges can be impressed by something other than "same old, same old".

What's your stretch target, Bob?
    I plan on getting into photographing liquids, burning steel wool, macros, a bit more "out of bounds" stuff and maybe the odd triptych or two. I also have some time lapse equipment and laser shutter releases to experiment with. That's keep me going for a while until I get my 6D !!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Axford View Post
    It's a good rule of thumb that if you want to win a local photo club comp, then enter a landscape or a wildlife shot.
    More specifically, if you want to do well at camera club competitions, you need to enter images of the types favoured by the judge. In other words, you need to play silly games.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    More specifically, if you want to do well at camera club competitions, you need to enter images of the types favoured by the judge. In other words, you need to play silly games.
    Not sure if you ever saw my audio visual on that very subject. It was a satirical view of judges! It did show that they must be able to take a joke, becuase it won first prize!

Here's the link if you haven't seen it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtJFtGXQPf8&fmt=37

http://steveaxford.smugmug.com/
    About in the middle between Byron Bay, Ballina and Lismore
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    You certainly do need to know the unwritten rules for any comp. I'm sure you take enough variety that you could choose something to fit the bill, if you wanted to.

I have to agree with you Bob. It is possible to popularise new things. I even managed to win a few comps with mushrooms. Now I just take them. They mean too much to enter them in comps. They might lose, then I'd be upset

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sport would have been nice to be an option...
    Jeff - Jeff D Photography
    Canon -
    http://jeffdphoto.ifp3.com/
    www.jeffdphotography.com.au

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure sport photographers would agree with you Jeff!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted for wildlife as my prime focus. In my travels on all seven continents, in the Arctic and on numerous islands, I've enjoyed being in a wide variety of locations "shooting" a diverse range of animals/birds.
    However, I agree with previous posts that confining ourselves to a single genre would be very limiting.
    I'm sure a great many of us would have shots we are proud of that are from genres we work in less frequently: candid family shots; wedding shots; sport/performance shots of children/friends; shots of unusual/striking buildings; shots of interesting people/artefacts (local colour); landscapes/seascapes; sunrises/sunsets......
    One interesting competition I witnessed involved a forensic photographer and architectural photographer capturing shots of our whole baked guinea pigs (cuy) at a ceremonial meal in Peru. They managed some impressive whilst different takes on the same subjects - not your usual food photography!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose landscapes, but I tend to go more for anything out of the ordinary.. If you had an abstract button I would of pressed that.. So anything out of the ordinary for me
    D5000 Nikkor AF-S 28-300mm VR, Tamron 70-300mm, Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm VR, Marumi/Hoya Filters
    "There are times when words fall out of my mouth at the very same time they entered my head.. Apologies in advance for those times"
    "I don't get mad, I get better"

Sheree

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shoot just about everything, Land, sea, wildlife (seem to be most noted for this), but also have done a fair share of stage/performance work and studio shooting which I really loved.

Never really explored shooting inanimate objects ...
    "Nature photography is about choosing a location, crawling through dirt, being bitten by insects and occasionally taking a great image". - Wayne Eddy.

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7D, 17-40mm f/4L,
    24-105mm f/4L
    + Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS +400mm f/5.6L + Canon 1.4xTC + Canon 100 EF f2.8 USM + 430-EX

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123