Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP competitions

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

AP competitions

I have noticed that the number of entries each week is declining lately.

Have you had enough of the Genre themed comps for a while?
    Should we run a few open comps for a few weeks?
    Is there something else we can do to get the comp entry numbers back up?
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Fotonut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: AP competitions

I like the genre based competitions, but would like to know the schedule for possibly the next three to four weeks. Often, I do not get time to apply myself to the genre within the week and would prefer to not rush an entry. The current system with a few open competitions spread amongst the genre's works very well for me.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
    Brian
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

Gear : Nikon D3100; Nikkor 18-55 mm, Nikkor 55 - 300mm, Sigma "Bigma" 50 - 500 and a heap of Enthusiasm
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/beeps44/
    http://500px.com/beeps

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK. Here you go everyone, these are the remaining genre we have on the list, in the order they will become comps:

• Candids
    • Architectural
    • Night / Astro
    • MACRO
    • Wildlife
    • Monochrome
    • Land and Sea Scapes
    • PANORAMIC
    • Formal and Posed
    • Still Life
    • Street
    • Member Mug Shots

Fotonut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: AP competitions

Thanks, that Will help me a lot

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Genre based comps as well Rick, Thanks for posting the upcoming themes, Good to get out of the comfort zone sometimes, A good photographer should be able to cope with most situations
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Genre based comps also, though I will admit I dont enter very often these days.

I shoot with Canon And Olympus Cameras

Administrator
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary Anne View Post
    I like the Genre based comps also, though I will admit I dont enter very often these days.
    So what do we need to do to get you entering? That is what this thread is about, the decline in entries and how we go about getting members entering.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing you can do Rick it has to come from me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an ametuer I have enough problems taking a good photo. Then we add PP which is also way above my skill level. The entries in these comps are fantastic with most deserving special merit. I am retired but working 7 days a week renovating my sons' house and photgraphy is more an interest than a passion. Perhaps after Xmas I might find more time. I do love this photography site for the information that is freely shared. cheers Brian
    Cheers Brian.

Canon 7D Kit lenses EFS 18-55 IS EFS 55-250 IS EF28-90 Canon EF 2xll Extender Sigma DG150-500 OS Speedlight 420EX. 580EX

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rick for posting the list....helps to get organised and try something new out but have the time to do it too!!

Maybe an encouragement award?

I think a lot of beginners or even peeps in the intermediate section get discouraged because they keep trying to get a good score but seem to miss the mark each time. I, personally, am happy with entering and what I have entered, so I am not actually talking about myself.
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think having the list really helps everyone to prepare ahead of time. It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference to the numbers. I think it will as people can then put some extra time and thought into their entries. It's all such a big rush when you're working. You either have to submit an old photo or don't enter at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, the schedule that Cheryl posted in http://www.ausphotography.net.au/for...ition-Schedule was a good way to see what was coming up but it ran out in June.

Perhaps it could be updated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me.....
    1/ My photo taking is random and often comes in bursts
    2/ Prefer to enter recent pics rather than 500yo ones.
    3/ Most of my pics are not worthy for comp entry (and thats why...)
    4/ I do not take pics specifically for comp entry.
    5/ I do make sure that I vote every week and every comp when possible
    6/ I'm happy with things the way they are.

Nothing you can do will make me enter more, if I have something worthwhile or in theme then I'll put it up.
    Not all that fussed on how my pics score against others, I alreadty know most are average and every once in while I luckout.
    I like some photos for all the wrong reasons, and others for all the right reasons including the skills displayed ain capture and processing. There are some seriously 1/2 decent photographers on this site and I appreciate their work.
    CC always welcome and appreciated.
    Tweaks welcome but please add how and why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always vote, and LOVE the genre based themes..But have been a bit busy with work.. I don't know about anyone else, but I have lost my mojo!! Am finding it hard with the change of scenery to get back into the passion of photography!! Hopefully I will get it back soon
    D5000 Nikkor AF-S 28-300mm VR, Tamron 70-300mm, Nikkor AF-S 18-55mm VR, Marumi/Hoya Filters
    "There are times when words fall out of my mouth at the very same time they entered my head.. Apologies in advance for those times"
    "I don't get mad, I get better"

Sheree

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the theme based competitions. Knowing what the themes are in advance is helpful as I am a shift worker and sometimes on a 7 day run I don't have the opportunity to shoot for a theme. I am usually pleased if my entries finish in the middle of the field, I don't get put off by not finishing in the top 5 as when I compare my entry to others I can see why and where I can improve. I think that it's good that the theme based comps are usually fairly open to interpretation as it allows people to be creative in their thinking. Sadly I am as creative as a houseplant, I think years of government work has killed of any imagination I may have had! I usually vote on every comp but I have found that I tend to enter the theme based comps more than the open.
    Jodie

Gear - Canon EOS 7D, EOS 6D, 24-105 F4, 70-200 F2.8L IS, Canon EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Sigma 10-20mm, nifty fifty, EF2xII, 580EX, 430EXII, EFx2 III and a long wishlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mate, I must admit, i'm a bit like 'Zeroharm' in respect to work. I had the opportunity to get behind the lens back in July, whilst on holidays in NSW. It took me weeks to get around to even taking images off the CF and onto storage, let alone doing any processing. I used to enter the comps regularly, but slowly slipped away from then, due to above reason.

It's a personal thing for people entering, some may be attracted to a prize, and some not. I did and still do like some recognition for works presented, and that's enough for me. I have been wanting to spend more time behind the lens, so this may be a catalyst I need.

just my 2 cents worth.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rarely even visit the competition part of the site. It's something I think I should take a more active role in. At least lend a hand in voting.
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit like Bricat. Time poor and skill poor. I haven't even settled on which PP software to use yet because I don't have enough time to learn them.

I did enter last week's competition, but only because the genre was one where I had a couple of shots stored away I could use. Getting outspecifically to take photos is somthing I'm not very good at, at the moment.

So I don't think the genre based comps are dated. Most replies here still seem to favour them. It's good to get the list of upcoming genres. Perhaps it can go on the comp pages somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that has stopped me has been not having a photo that I believe to be of sufficient merit to enter a comp.
    I actually did recently enter an image in my first ever comp, but found this thread after entering. It was just a coincidence that I chose now to enter my first one.
    I entered one this time because it was a themed comp, and I had a shot that I felt fitted the theme with sufficient quality to at least attempt to enter.
    But I may well now be hooked. I keep finding myself going and looking at what other entries are coming in, and finding myself actually quite excited and enjoying the anticipation of it all.
    Oh, and the other reason I haven't entered before, is I'm always in such a ridiculous hurry to rush in here and share every good shot I ever take, that I've often spoiled a chance to enter by finding out too late that there was a comp it could have gone in, but I now can't because it's been posted to the site. That just needs me to have a few seconds patience to go past the comp subjects to see if it can be entered, before I rush into the CC section to post it up for all to see.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezookiel View Post
    Oh, and the other reason I haven't entered before, is I'm always in such a ridiculous hurry to rush in here and share every good shot I ever take, that I've often spoiled a chance to enter by finding out too late that there was a comp it could have gone in, but I now can't because it's been posted to the site.
    You can enter photos that have been posted on AP before, just not ones that were posted in the last 30 days.
    And for those worried about the quality of their photos compared to others, don't. Reckon you can't beat my record of finishing in the bottom five.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast