User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  1

Thread: 7D vs 60D is low light, same performance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7D vs 60D is low light, same performance?

Hey all, the time has come to upgrade my 450D and the main reason is, very noisy in low light. I dont shoot for pleasure as much as I would like these days, most of my photography now is taking photos of Lolly Buffets for my wife's business. Basically, its a bunch of glass jars on a table full of lollies. Some are in extremely hard shooting situations like dim cinemas where there is nothing to bounce the flash off and it just ends up looking harsh and... wrong

So, I am tossing up between the 60D and 7D and my main concern is... how will they go in low light? On paper, they have the same sensor, but will the 7D process better? The extra features of the 7D don't really bother me but if it will be much better in low light then I will go for it, if I am only getting a small gain then I will stick with the 60D. What are your thoughts?

Thanks all, when I get the new body I will post up some lolly shots to tingle the taste buds
    Part time Real Estate and Product photographer | CANON

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    60D, ISO 6400, no noise reduction used. 1/125 sec.

IMG_0984.JPG
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in a raw(image mode) environment they should provide the same image quality when processed, so the camera body will really make no difference.

What can make a difference is the AF ability if AF is an important consideration and some other niceties such as sturdier magnesium body, flash ability(I think the 7D has a native wireless flash capability where the 60D doesn't) ... etc, etc.

If you are looking for better image quality alone, then I doubt you'll see a difference between the two bodies if you shoot raw.
    If the monetary saving in going with a 60D allows you the ability to add an appropriately high quality lens into the mix, then of course the 60D will provide the ultimately better IQ where budget is a concern.
    If don't have the limitation of any budget constraint, or the budget constraint allows for a degree of excess, then I'd say go for the better featured body.

My foremost priority is that I need a body with a minimum feature set to start with .. and from that starting point, I then I wing it with respect to lenses.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon}; -> 50/1.2 : 500/8 : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8 ais : 105mm f/1.8 ais : 24mm/2 ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC

{Yongnuo}; -> YN35/2N : YN50/1.8N

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 60D does indeed have the wireless flash control built in.

The 7D has a better AF system than the 60 and will focus better in lower light. 19 all cross type AF points with extra sensitivity on the centre point when using f2.8 or faster glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. I do see the benefit of the 7d's AF I have decided the 60d will suit me fine, and I should have enough left over for a nice 1.4 lens

I have picked up the 60D from JB Hifi for $830 with a 3yr warranty, considering the best I could get it on grey market was just under $800 I think that's pretty good. It is getting its first workout this Friday, il post some results up