User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  2

Thread: vBulltin 5 Connect forum software - early public beta - warning: some technical information

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vBulltin 5 Connect forum software - early public beta - warning: some technical information

An early public Beta of the next major version of vBulletin 5 Connect is here (vB5).
    AusPhotography currently runs the latest release of vBulletin V4.2.0 (vB4).

vB5 is missing a lot of features and is buggy as... https://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum/main-forum feel free to create an account and play with it.
    The beta gets blown away every few days - don't panic if your account disappears

We won't be upgrading to this version for a long time, probably > 12 months.
    vB4 will be maintained and enhanced for some time yet, and it is working very well for us.
    We may buy a license to get an early discount plus we get the existing vB4 Blogs and CMS option in that purchase.

FYI AusPhotography has been on the vB tier 1 Alpha/Beta test team -- i.e. I'm been playing with vB5 and reporting issues.
    We have also been vB4 Alpha/Beta testers, and have been actively testing the next release of vB4 (4.2.1).
    I've not been able to say much due to the NDA, but now the beta is released we can get some feedback.

The main change as far as members goes is a completely re-jigged user interface, improved image handing, simplified layout.
    It relies on Javascript (technically AJAX and Jquery) and is more like Facebook, GMail and G+ etc. in how it works.

Technically it has some big changes: (For those of you into software engineering)
    • Completely new Database interface allowing databases other than MySQL
    • Plugins/hooks replaced by extensions using an OOP paradigm
    • API driven back end MVC architecture
    • Front end 100% AJAX/JSON/Jquery based
    • Improved template system with template hooks that call the API
    • Simplified styling

Before we can go to vB5 we will have to re-engineer the competition system, wait for the Wiki(Library) and other key components to be upgraded to vb5.
    We will probably have a closed beta test (a year away) so that members can help us with the migration.

It is also possible we may just stick with vB4, depending on a bunch of issues around how vB5 develops.

Rick and I would like some feedback on the new approach to the user interface (allowing for the fact the beta is very buggy).
    We also realised people don't like change, so we have a lot of thinking to do before we decide which way to go.

As usually we try to be open and transparent about the future of AP and welcome constructive input.
    regards, Kym Gallery Honest & Direct Constructive Critique Appreciated! ©
    Digital & film, Bits of glass covering 10mm to 500mm, and other stuff

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Kym, if this version is working OK and it seems to run well from where I sit, don't be in a hurry to move up. From bitter experience it pays to wait until the bugs have been well and truly squashed. Hang off for as long as possible.
    EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We wont be St Geoff . We always tend to wait, see how others go with it, and then usually after a patch level or two are released we look at upgrading
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

It's all about the Light!
    Tech Admin
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Geoff -- I said at least a year.

It's a huge change!

A royal pain in the bum! arthurking83's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to post that the vb5 site worked really well on my 7" tablet.
    I'm not really into browsing with mobile devices, and if I do, I usually do it on my 10" Win7 tablet anyhow .. but I was just testing and setting up stuff on the Tab2 7" and went into this as part of a quick test I was doing.
    Nikon D800E, D300, D70s
    {Nikon} -> 50/1.2 : 500/8(CPU'd) : 105/2.8VR Micro : 180/2.8ais : 105mm f/1.8ais : 24mm/2ais
    {Sigma}; ->10-20/4-5.6 : 50/1.4 : 12-24/4.5-5.6II : 150-600mm|S
    {Tamron}; -> 17-50/2.8 : 28-75/2.8 : 70-200/2.8 : 300/2.8 SP MF : 24-70/2.8VC