Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  3

Thread: Brisbane and surrounds, where to see some birds/animals

Who let the rabble in?
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brisbane and surrounds, where to see some birds/animals

To all you Brisbane bird watchers and animal lovers, I am going to Brisbane for a few days and would like to know of any bird/animal locations that anyone could recommend for me where I am almost guaranteed to get some birds, like maybe some Bee Eaters or Kingfishers or the like. More than happy to go to zoos or nature reserves as I do not have time to be waiting or going somewhere "just in case" a bird may appear. I may go to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary where I am guaranteed to get at least something.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lance, Lone Pine Sanctuary would be a good starting point in Brissie for birding as the do a good BOP (eagles, Kestrels and owls)
    Show there about mid-day on most days, but check the times as they do close entry after the show begins, due to the birds flighty nature...

also there is a platypus aquarium and other native animals good to photograph as well.

Hope it helps

Cheers Tropix55

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boondall wetlands are good. There are more wetlands out Wynnum as well.
    Forest lake has some good stuff too, if you're into ibis and water hens ... I have seen some spoon bills there too.
    although I have seen some arguements between water foul that would blow your mind.

outside of Brisbane:
    Border Ranges National Park - Birdlife astounds here. Stuff I can't even guess what they are.
    Plus the drive out there is awesome!
    Greg Bartle,
    I have a Pentax and I'm not afraid to use it.
    Pentax K5
    Sigma 10-20 | Tamron 17-50 F:2.8 | Sigma 50 F:1.4 | Sigma 70-200 F:2.8 Plus a bunch of Ye Olde lenses

Would you like to see more?
    http://flickr.com/photosbygreg

Who let the rabble in?
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus79 View Post
    Boondall wetlands are good. There are more wetlands out Wynnum as well.
    Forest lake has some good stuff too, if you're into ibis and water hens ... I have seen some spoon bills there too.
    although I have seen some arguements between water foul that would blow your mind.

outside of Brisbane:
    Border Ranges National Park - Birdlife astounds here. Stuff I can't even guess what they are.
    Plus the drive out there is awesome!
    Thanks for the tips.

I have been to Border Ranges, and other attractions around the area many a time when I was young as we used to go to Fingal Head for holidays every Christmas when I was young.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tropix55 View Post
    Hi Lance, Lone Pine Sanctuary would be a good starting point in Brissie for birding as the do a good BOP (eagles, Kestrels and owls)
    Show there about mid-day on most days, but check the times as they do close entry after the show begins, due to the birds flighty nature...

also there is a platypus aquarium and other native animals good to photograph as well.

Hope it helps

Cheers Tropix55
    Thank you very much for the tips.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mt Nebo and Mt Glorious perhaps, then down into the Samford Valley? Nice drive too. Watch out for motorbikes.
    Last edited by Warbler; 18-09-2012 at 8:07pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, as of this weekend, I will be one of them!