User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Canon 6D

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An interesting camera. Some nice things about it - price should be good, I'll bet the ISO performance is outstanding, GPS is a very welcome trick - and some doubtful changes - buttons relocated to less useful spots, multi-controller hard to reach, and most of all the focus points are still (from what I read) grouped right in the centre of the frame just like the 5D Mark I and 5D Mark II where they don't cover the points of photographic interest and you have to focus/recompose all the time. Honestly, there isn't much point (no pun intended!) in the 10 focus points that aren't the centre point. They might as well just have one. Well, almost.

But then, as always, there has to be a reason there to push you up to the next model.

Me, I doubt I'll get one. My 5D II is, all things considered, just as good for most purposes, and I'm happy enough with my other bodies at this stage. Next thing I buy will probably be a lens. (Err .. same as usual. Sigh.)
    Tony

It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll be upgrading to the 6D on its release. I was speaking with a professional photographer friend of mine though and he was adamant to save and get the 5DIII. Honestly I just can't see myself justifying that kind of expenditure at my experience level.

Just as it is being marketed, I think the 6D is an excellent camera for enthusiasts looking to move into FF or upgrade on a budget.
    Flickr
    Call me Chris

Gear: Canon 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f4/L IS USM | Canon 430EX II Speedlite | Hoya Pro1 CPL | Velbon Tripod
    Canon EOS 500D | Canon 18-55mm IS (Kit Lens) | Canon 50-250mm IS (Kit Lens) | Marumi Super DHG CPL

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by enVision View Post
    I think I'll be upgrading to the 6D on its release. I was speaking with a professional photographer friend of mine though and he was adamant to save and get the 5DIII. Honestly I just can't see myself justifying that kind of expenditure at my experience level. Just as it is being marketed, I think the 6D is an excellent camera for enthusiasts looking to move into FF or upgrade on a budget.
    I was toying with the 5DIII, but you have to factor in how big the damn things is, and that's not a plus as far as I'm concerned. The 7D was another option, but not full frame and also fairly large. The 6D looks like the best compromise if you want full frame but not bulk. I don't care about GPS or whatever - I just want to shoot pictures. I have a 40D and I think that apart from the slower shooting speed, the 6D should be a huge upgrade for me - can't wait! I'll also probably buy the G15 because that looks like a great secondary travel camera for those less obvious shots. Looking forward to more detailed reports on both from Dpreview.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 6D has wifi for wireless control of the camera from ipads, and iphones. Canon are apparantly working on apps for it. Considering this is a $900 plus add-on for the 5D series, it sounds like extremely good value for someone considering upgrade to full frame........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm....having read this thread, I think I will still buy the 5D Mk 3.
    I guess Canon are just plugging a gap with the 6D.
    Canon 6D
    Canon 40D
    16-35 L 2.8 11 USM
    24-105 L IS USM
    70-200 2.8 L IS USM 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm currently using the 7D & have been looking for a FF for a while. 6D - Answer to my prayers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 7D and would have liked the new 6D to be able to control my Canon 580EXII Flashguns remotely as I can now. A popup flash is handy for fill in flash too...
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm loving the sound of the 6D.. have wanted to get into ff for awhile and really want the ISO benefits that my 550D just can't provide. The 6D is nice and light too! (compared with the 5D range) and will still be a practical camera. Has anyone bought one yet?
    Canon 6D, Canon 550D, Canon 24-105mm, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Canon 100mm Macro f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6

www.imogenbrandrakers.wordpress.com

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ice View Post
    I'm loving the sound of the 6D.. Has anyone bought one yet?
    Just patiently biding my time. I'll get one sometime in the next couple of months, but I'm just hanging off for a couple of reasons. Firstly, there may be a glitch or two showing up early in the peace, and I'd like someone else to find it first! There has already been a minor issue concerning the transfer of video footage to You Tube, and although this doesn't matter to me, it's been necessary to update the firmware. Secondly, I'm hoping the price may drop a tad - I have already bought the G15, and the price dropped a few weeks later. Lastly, I'd really like Dpreview to do a real full-on review rather than the interim one they've already done.

I'll probably buy it online as it'll save a reasonable amount. There will be those that get all anguished over that, but I have been buying cameras online for years and I'm so ahead financially that this one would probably be a freebie with the savings I've made.

Look like a great camera though ... really looking forward to it (except for the GPS which I don't need and the slowish burst mode).

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban El Pedro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked mine up last week. Grabbed the kit at an unbelievable price of $2850. Canon have a $300 cashback on the kit so i will just sell the lens and it should end up costing me around $1800.

Coming from a 60D the controls were very familiar to me which was good. The IQ and high ISO performance are a huge improvement over the 60D.

I do miss being able to use my 17-55 but will be picking up the 24-70 in the next week or two which will compliment the 6D nicely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you feel the AF performance in the canon 6D? i am having a canon 60D as well at the moment, and contemplating my next path of camera upgrade between 5D mark 3 and 6D, money is the issue

Site Rules Breach - Permanent Ban El Pedro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on the fence between the 5D3 and the 6D as well. Both were affordable for me but I didn't see the need to spend the extra on the 5D3 if it wasn't warranted.

Coming from the 60D I haven't had an issue with the autofocus, the centre point is noticeably better particularly in low light. I'm sure the 5D3 autofocus is loads better but for me it wasn't a deal breaker. The outer points although they are not cross type seem similar to those of the 60D.

The other gripe lots of people have with the 6D is the button layout and size, coming from a 60D you will be very familiar with this camera so I actually see it as a positive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2 things I have found an absolute win for the 5dmk3 over the 5dmk2 have been :
    1. AF points
    2. 1-2 stops better iso performance allowing cleaner nights shots of stars (ie able to print them)

The 6D lacks 1. and probably has 2.
    So I guess it depends on what your main purpose is - if you shoot a lot of night shots, and if the sensor performs like the mk3, it will be an amazing world of difference. If you're after better AF, 6D looks unimpressive. I would guess that weather sealing (a sore point for me at the moment) isn't great on either

ps. someone in this thread mentioned about the mk3's size. Sure specs-wise it reads bigger but in terms of real world difference, I found it no more cumbersome to use on full day wedding shoots than the 7D or mk2 so this really shouldn't deter you unless you're already struggling with the weight of the smaller DSLRs?
    Call me Dylan! www.everlookphotography.com | www.everlookphotography.wordpress.com | www.flickr.com/photos/dmtoh
    Canon EOS R5, : 16-35mm F4 L, 70-200F4 canon L, 24-70mm 2.8IIcanon L, Sirui tripod + K20D ballhead + RRS ballhead. |Sony A7r2 + Laowa 12mm F2.8, Nisi 15mm F4
    Various NiSi systems : Currently using switch filter and predominantly 6 stop ND, 10 stop ND, 3 stop medium GND
    Post : Adobe lightroom classic CC : Photoshop CC. Various actions for processing and web export

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah AF is my only concern only, as I am preety sure that IQ will be same or even better than mark 3. I'll probably try that outer point focus performance in low light and compare it with mark 3 as I am planning to use it for portrait indoor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123