Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Canon 6D

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjphoto View Post
    .... it doesn't appear to have interchangeable focusing screens ....
    Yes it does

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    There you go, I just assumed it would. You know what they say about assuming though....
    The 5d3 only has a fixed focusing screen, you can't replace it.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...Specifications

http://www.zeissrumors.com/2012/03/c...es-manual.html

Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    Yes it does
    That's interesting (I looked for that but didn't see it in any of the original specs). It then has an advantage over the 5d3 for manual focus usesrs, such as with Zeiss ZE lenses, or the vast list of older manual focus lenses.

It might be a good spare or first camera for manual focus users as it takes the EgS screen (which works OK in the 5d2).
    Last edited by jjphoto; 18-09-2012 at 11:07am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you think this camera is referred to as a 'enthusiast' level camera? Its specs stack up very well against the 5D mkII, which is certainly a pro-level camera.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presotto View Post
    Not being too up with my card knowledge, why is it dissapointing it only uses SD cards?
    Canon DSLRs traditionally used CF cards. Within the past few years Canon switched to SD cards.

The main advantages of CF cards are as follows:

1. they've traditionally been available in larger sizes;
    2. they have faster write speeds; and
    3. they're more durable.

Additionally, if you own multiple cameras, it's far more convenient to maintain only one type of storage media, as it's usable across multiple cameras.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phew, Lucky I only have one CF card 2gb , If I get one I have'nt lost to much , The plan is Joel and I buy two Cams, , A 5DMKIII for his fashion shoots and the 6D for me for Landscapes and morning Candids of beach life , Dont need the fast burst , I only ever shoot off one shot , Even for Surfing , The weather (Splash) resistent is a big bonus mainly cause I have to shoot each week day Rain/Hail or shine , Be good not to have to carry the Garbage bag around to protect the gear
    Last edited by William; 18-09-2012 at 6:23pm.
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achee View Post
    Why do you think this camera is referred to as a 'enthusiast' level camera? Its specs stack up very well against the 5D mkII, which is certainly a pro-level camera.
    Canon considers the 5D range of cameras to be in the 'Enthusiast' segment of its market, the other segments being 'Entry Level' and 'Professional'.

The Enthusiast segment also includes the 6D, 7D, 60D and 60Da.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenedis View Post
    Canon considers the 5D range of cameras to be in the 'Enthusiast' segment of its market, the other segments being 'Entry Level' and 'Professional'.
    Ah, yes, I just looked that up. Surprising, but you're right, the 5D range is classed as an enthusiast camera. I do find that a bit odd, because I know that many working photograhers are using 5D's, and it's not a stepping stone while they try to save enough money to afford a 'professional' camera!

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achee View Post
    Ah, yes, I just looked that up. Surprising, but you're right, the 5D range is classed as an enthusiast camera. I do find that a bit odd, because I know that many working photograhers are using 5D's, and it's not a stepping stone while they try to save enough money to afford a 'professional' camera!
    Remember that there's marketing involved.

The fact that Canon classes a camera as an intermediate (or 'enthusiast') product says nothing about its ability to deliver, and desirability to professional shooters.

Yep, plenty of professional shooters use 5Ds, but they're as equally appealing to hobbyists like myself (I've been shooting with 5Ds since 2006, and would probably continue with that line of cameras when it's time to upgrade).

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....The main advantages of CF cards are as follows:

1. they've traditionally been available in larger sizes;
    2. they have faster write speeds; and
    3. they're more durable.

Although, regarding larger sizes, max CF is 256 GB whereas SDXC allows up to 2TB - eventually.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arg View Post
    Although, regarding larger sizes, max CF is 256 GB whereas SDXC allows up to 2TB - eventually.
    It doesn't appear that any of the major memory card manufacturers offer CF cards (or SDXC cards) greater than 128GB at present.

It is conceivable that Canon will eventually stop supporting CF cards in its cameras, although the latest 1-series camera (EOS-1D X) supports only CF.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, if only I won the lottery!!
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wonder if Canon will rush to get it to market, seeing its competitor the Nikon D600 was only announced the other day, and is in stores already. Might put some pressure on Canon to get it released ASAP.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read the release details and the features that the original dpreview didn't list are included such as bracketed exposures of up to 9 from memory - same as the 5D3 I believe. It certainly stacks up well now I have read teh official release. I think it will be just the ticket for you Bill and I was seriously considering the 5D3 in my saving goal but I may now consider the 6D and have a little extra to through to a 16-35 L to replace the siggy that wont fit the FF body. I will let the dust settle a little and see what my bartering skills do for me so maybe April May next yr for me. Just when I thought I had it figured out along comes another body.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you say Bill, she's a step up from your O'l faithful, but I'd get my hands on it first, make sure it feels the goods. Have you held a 5d3 yet? They feel like a toy camera, everything is tooo compact for my liking, and for a FF it's small. I would take that into consideration that's all.
    They call me "Blue" it's a red head thing.
    "My Flickr Site"
    Canon Bodies - 1DMk2N + 50D - Lenses - 17-35mm F2.8 L - 24-70mm F2.8 L - 70-200mm F2.8 L - 300mm F4 IS L - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - DJI Mavic Pro Platinum
    " I Never get tired of looking at our diverse country, even if its through the lens of someone else".
    CC is always appreciated.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've held a D800 No I have'nt Roosta, But maybe I should , Just had a Google for the difference in weight and size of the 30D compared to the 6D , Not much in it : The 30D - 784 g (27.7 oz)
    Dimensions 144 x 106 x 74 mm (5.7 x 4.2 x 2.9 in), The 6D - 27.16 oz. (770g) - 145 x 111 x 71mm
    Last edited by William; 19-09-2012 at 1:41pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Canon 6D

although the latest 1-series camera (EOS-1D X) supports only CF.
    I reckon more to do with photographers perceptions than an inability of sd cards to match cf cards on performance, but I'm no technology expert, and maybe at the maniacal burst rates the 1dx is capable of shooting at, there could be a difference
    Successful People Make Adjustments - Evander Holyfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Surely the MKIII has interchangeable focus screens. A $3k semi pro / pro body without is a joke. Not sure about the 6D though, what does 7D and the xxD's allow regarding focus screens?

William you're right, anyone coming from anything less than a 5D II would be happy with the 6D when looking for FF.
    The 7D was the first Canon DSLR, as far as I know, that has the ability to switch off all the display lights/points and markings on the viewfinder focusing screen so you can have a completely unobstructed view of the subject. There are no permanent etched markings in the viewfinder screen view and a grid pattern can be switched on (or off) and overlaid on the focus view.

I believe the 5D MKIII has the same system as the 7D.

There are 3rd party companies who make various configurations of focusing screens that will fit into the 7D and 5D MkIII as a replacement.

The 7D also has a 100% field of view through the viewfinder. I do find it hard to focus manually with the fixed focusing screen type when doing any macro closeup.
    Last edited by flashc; 19-09-2012 at 3:50pm. Reason: spell
    Canon EOS 7D Mk II, Canon 70D, Canon G12, Canon EF-S 15-85mm, EF 70-200 L f4 IS, 580EX II

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, personally I'm going to be buying one as soon as possible - along with the G15 which was also announced. The only thing lacking from my perspective is the slow shots per second, so I'll hang on to my 40D for that.

The combination of the G15 for those accasions when a DSLR is too big, and the 6D as a full frame, low light DSLR - I reckon the combination will be very good indeed! The 6D is considerably lighter and more practical than the 5DIII, and it has all the promise of being a great camera. I think sometimes people expect too much, but this one seems to be about right.

"If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff.” — Jim Richardson

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricky, got my wires crossed somewhere, maybe with the price of the 5D2 & 5D3. For some reason was thinking the 5D3 was around 2600 but in followup I see I was a k off target - embarrassment. So this 6D could be maybe 1700 under the price of 5D3 - WOW. On looking at it again and reading others comments I have to say the 6D is looking more attractive.

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure there will be plenty of hands on reviews coming out of the woodwork very soon, Mike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast