Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Canon 6D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Canon 6D

Well we were thinking about a 5dmkIII but with the impending release of this new one in December and at Just a smidge over $2000 , Looks good , And its weather sealed , Apparently it will replace the 5D mkII and slip in between the 7D and 5DmkIII

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/c...-specs-leaked/
    Canon : 30D, and sometimes the 5D mkIII , Sigma 10-20, 50mm 1.8, Canon 24-105 f4 L , On loan Sigma 120-400 DG and Canon 17 - 40 f4 L , Cokin Filters

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks an interesting model, William.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like it's about to be announced. Here are some spec's that also show up on DPReview.

I think the fact that they've only basically improved the processor to DIGIC 5, a slight bump in FPS, 2 extra AF points and slight ISO increase means most people wouldn't upgrade from a 5DII since it's more like a side step. I'm disappointed to see it uses SD cards too. Probably a body best for those froming from a 60D or Rebel.

It's got GPS and a touch screen to those who care....
    Last edited by mikec; 17-09-2012 at 1:31pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or somebody with a 30D looking to upgrade when frames per sec dont matter and full frame and weather proofing do

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what it will be like to focus manually as it doesn't appear to have interchangeable focusing screens (neither has the 5D3)? I suspect anyone considering buying this camera probably doesn't know how to focus manually anyway as it seems aimed at the very low end of the market, but it is the 6D (the higher the number the lower the spec).

Maybe it would be a decent spare for FF users but the fact it uses SD cards only is disappointing.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 17-09-2012 at 2:35pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Canon 6D

Surely the MKIII has interchangeable focus screens. A $3k semi pro / pro body without is a joke. Not sure about the 6D though, what does 7D and the xxD's allow regarding focus screens?

William you're right, anyone coming from anything less than a 5D II would be happy with the 6D when looking for FF.
    Last edited by mikec; 17-09-2012 at 4:14pm.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a 30D user , What are/is interchangable focus screens ? I never use manual focus for dawn shoots , To dark , Then after that candids and surfing shots would be hard to use manual focus I'm thinking , Think I'll get a shock with a new Camera , Hopfully you can still shoot in full manual nowdays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being too up with my card knowledge, why is it dissapointing it only uses SD cards?
    I use Canon gear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Canon 6D

William I use a focusing screen with a grid in my 5DII I find it allows me line up things an compose a little easier through the view finder, particularly useful for architectural stuff and horizons. You can get others that allow better manual focusing too but that doesn't worry me.

Presotto both the 1D's, 5D's and 7D's use CF cards. It's a little dumb IMO to use a different format just from that aspect considering they are all pro or semi pro bodies.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Presotto View Post
    Not being too up with my card knowledge, why is it dissapointing it only uses SD cards?
    The pro bodies (and even the 7d and older APSc bodies) normally use CF cards although some allow both. SD are common in P+S cameras. So if you bought a 6D as a backup to a FF body then chances are that you won't have SD cards for it and would have to buy some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder, are CF cards faster / more reliable / ...??? I know they are associated with 'professional' cameras, but I'm ignorant as to why. They are certainly bigger!

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's official. There's previews popping up.

The Commander
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the time the 6D comes out I am not sure there will be that much of a price difference. If it launches at just over 2K in Dec, I would think by then I could bargain my local dealer down to under 3K, maybe $2700. I have found as a rule there is not room for barter on a new release but that changes say 12 months on. I don't think the weather sealing is as we may interpret it in comparison to the 5D3. I think it said splash proof which is a bit different to 10mm of rain over 10 mins.

There is at least a couple of features on the 5D3 that I didnt see on the 6D that would benefit the land / seascape photographer also. Not sure I seen micro adjust which I have found useful on my 50D. Cant say I am a fan of the new style controls that remove the joystick but that is a personal preference.

The 5D3 allows for up to 7 bracketed shots. Even non HDR users may find the ability to increase the DR and blend in photoshop makes for some good options. I am probably a bit one sided on this as I had a chance to play with my mates 5D3 for a morning and it is a very impressive camera and I mean superb.

Whilst I battle along saving every spare penny for my 5d3 with a purchase maybe early next yr (if saving goes well) I still think I can get within $500 of the 6D price and I see more than $500 worth of features.

Well that is my rant :-). Probably biased by my handling of the 5d3 but there you go. Having said that Bill, for your style of photography I think the 6D may be just the ticket and maybe any cash saved could go towards a 16-35 L

Last edited by mikew09; 17-09-2012 at 8:58pm.
    Please be honest with your Critique of my images. I may not always agree, but I will not be offended - CC assists my learning and is always appreciate

https://mikeathome.smugmug.com/

Canon 5D3 - Gripped, EF 70-200 L IS 2.8 MkII, , 24-105 L 4 IS MkI, 580 EX II Speedlite, 2x 430 Ex II Speedlite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Canon 6D

Well it's officially a lack lustre camera if I ever saw one...

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the way William makes music with the 30D, with a full frame we'll hear a full orchestra.

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the official release from Canon Australia : http://www.canon.com.au/About-Canon/...ull-Frame-DSLR Well I would have been pushing to get the MKIII , It's an upgrade from the 30D , I was thinking of the MKII , But this is looking good for me

Account Closed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low light focus a full stop better than the 5D3 and if the high ISO performance is also close I can't see why it wouldn't be damn good body, William.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5D3 doesn't need interchangeable focussing screens.
    You can have a choice of grids showing up in the OVF, and I use the coarse one all the time.
    It's really good to have.

I reckon the 6D sounds really good.
    It's got some great features that even the 5D3 doesn't have like inbuilt GPS and wireless file transmission, and full time auto focussing for video.
    Give it 6 months or so, and the price will drop below $2K, and I reckon it wil be a great seller.

In my 5D3, I use a Lexar 1000X CF card and a Lexar 600X SD card (90MB/Second), and I find this SD card to be fast enough for almost anything, and it's faster than any 2 year old CF card, so there's nothing wrong with newer SD cards as far as speed or capacity goes.
    I think the 6D will appeal to those moving up from crop sensor DSLR's and about the only thing against it would be that these people will either have to have EF lenses, or get rid of their EF-s lenses and trade up.

It'll be interesting to see a comparison of the Nikon 600 and the Canon 6D in the near future.
    All my photos are taken with recycled pixels.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom, is knowing not to serve it in a fruit salad.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    If all you do is use AF then of course it doesn't matter but it seems the standard screen in the 5d3 doesn't allow for accurate focus with fast lenses, see some of the links below.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1149172
    http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/03/que...ii-hdmi-video/
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/carlzei...7629902849374/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennymiata View Post
    You can have a choice of grids showing up in the OVF, and I use the coarse one all the time.
    It's really good to have.
    There you go, I just assumed it would. You know what they say about assuming though....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast