User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  5

Thread: HEEELP I'm going mad! Autofocus problem and a photoshoot tomorrow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HEEELP I'm going mad! Autofocus problem and a photoshoot tomorrow!

Hi all

I seem to have inadvertantly done something in the custom functions to my autofocus. I wasn't watching what I was doing and went into custom function by mistake and and now my camera doesn't autofocus when I press the shutter half way. It focuses when I press the AF- ON button on the back of the camera. I have absolutely no clue what I have done and a couple of friends have also had a go at rectifying situation to no avail. Does anyone out there with a 7D have any suggestions?? I have been into the custom functions but I don't have any idea what they were set on to begin with so I don't know what's changed. Please help before I go completely mad... I've been trying to figure it out all day
    Canon 5diii; Canon 7D; Canon 3.5 15-85mm IS USM; Canon 4-5.6 70-300mm IS USM; Canon 1.4 50mm , Canon Macro 100mm 2.8 L IS USM, Canon 35mm 1.4 L USM, Canon 24-105mm L IS USM, CPL and UV filters, manfrotto tripod and Lowepro backpack plus dreams for so much more!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If no one else replies before hand, I will detail the steps when I get home in a couple of hours.

It is in the last custom function menu, it lets you change the default settings for each button on the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Smoke Alarms Save Lives, Install One Today
    I shoot Canon
    Cheers, Mark

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get into your menu and Clear all Custom Functions that should bring it back to factory settings..
    That works for me when I do something wrong..

Or do what Mark suggested..
    Last edited by Mary Anne; 16-09-2012 at 3:55pm.

I shoot with Olympus Cameras.. Sometimes Canon and My iPhone SE 2020

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys
    MaryAnne if all else fails then I will clear all custom functions!
    I look forward to your help Mark, I'd rather go through and understand what I have done, than clear all the custom functions especially as I have set some things following instructions on utube etc and would be a chore to find it all to set again!! I feel like a twit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try Pressing the menu button then go across to the orange box.. Should be the one next to the green star
    Go down to the 4th line c.fn iv: operations/others and go into that section page 1 should be the button layout, is the shutter button set to autofocus?
    That could be the problem??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always check if the AF switch on the lens itself is switched to AF and not manual focus first
    Commercial/Editorial/Wedding work - www.jackietranphoto.com
    Travel Photography - www.wanderingasianguy.com

Broncolor lights up my world.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM Tran View Post
    I always check if the AF switch on the lens itself is switched to AF and not manual focus first
    If AF works with the AF On button on the back of teh camera, then quite obviously it is not the AF switch on the lens that is at fault

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, here goes
    Switch Camera on -> Menu Button and navigate to the custom functions menu

C.FnIV: Operation/Others -> Option 1 Custom Controls -> Hit enter The first option there is where you set the function of the shutter button
    If you depress the "Picture Control" (on the left side just above the "info" button, this will reset the function of the shutter button.

If you still have trouble, PM me your number and I will talk you through it over the phone

Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your help.... I knew it would be embarrassingly simple to fix!!! He He He A big thankyou to Jimbob12 yes that was the problemand it is now fixed!!
    Also thanks JM Tran....that was the first thing I checked.
    Thanks Mark for your advice and for following up.... jimbob12's post arrived before yours and solved my problem. I knew I had somehow reassigned the autofocus away from the shutter but I didn't know how I did it!! Thanks again everyone
    At least I now have a better understanding of how all the custom functions work and what they do so some good has come of this