0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Business card design - thoughts please

Please give me your thoughts on this.

for-forums.jpg
    Odille

“Can't keep my eyes from the circling sky”

My Blog | Canon 1DsMkII | 60D | Tokina 20-35mm f/2.8 AF AT-X PRO | EF50mm f/1.8| Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM | Fujifilm X-T1 & X-M1 | Fujinon XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XC 50-230mm F3.5-5.6 OIS | Fujinon XF 18-55mm F2.8-4R LM OIS | tripods, flashes, filters etc ||

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has a classic look. Maybe a thought to consider is to have the blue part on the front, and the description on the back, incorporating the blue either by a 1/2 inch strip on the side?

I like the lens with the landscape inside and the font is classic and easy to read. Your name isn't a plain-Jane name, so having that in the business name is good ("Photography by John" doesn't have the same ring to it...no offense to Johns! LOL).
    Monika
    Equipment: Canon 60D, Nikon FE, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 lens, Fancier FT-662A tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm kit lens, 30mm 1.4 Sigma lens, LR4, PS Elements
    Check out my Flickr photos ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmonny/
    ... and then you can like me on www.facebook.com/PhotoByMB or see my shop on http://www.redbubble.com/people/msmonny

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would get rid of the http in the web addresses. it is superfluous with most people never typing that in. I don't even bother with the www when I type a web address these days, but standards seem to be to include it when writing a web address down
    Last edited by ricktas; 16-09-2012 at 3:19pm.
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Rick & Monica. I wnted it to (a) be simple and (b) say 'photography' straight off.

Yes, Monica, the blue is the front and the mono the back.

Rick, I'll gladly drop them, it will make it less cluttered.

Now all I have to do is get the front PDF down to under 2Mb (it's 2.7) and I can send it off.
    Last edited by Analog6; 16-09-2012 at 3:26pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, thought it would be a bit small and cluttered if they were all on the front! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ X2, there seems to be a lot of words there, for a business card, IMHO (I'm not a qualified designer!).

Also, the aspect ratio seems non-standard, to me, but I guess you know what you're doing there.

I see a bit of white showing on the far left. Add 2-3mm bleed to the design.

Moderately Underexposed
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #1 Straighten the horizon in the landscape image.
    #2 Drop the hasselblad lens and replace it with something like Nikon or at a last ditch attempt, Canon that the buying public know. You are advertising to punters, not photographers.
    #3 Get rid of the CAPITALS in places where they are grammatically incorrect, they look BAD.

Other than a bit of tuning I quite like the concept and layout.
    Andrew
    Nikon, Fuji, Nikkor, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and too many other bits and pieces to list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you scale this down and print it out on your printer at the actual size of the business card I doubt very much if you could read it I'm afraid

- - - Updated - - -

Yep I tried it - I assume that what you have is a double sided card. Well at card size most of the text is diffuclt to read - not impossible - but tricky.
    William

www.longshots.com.au

I am the PhotoWatchDog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longshots View Post
    If you scale this down and print it out on your printer at the actual size of the business card I doubt very much if you could read it I'm afraid

- - - Updated - - -

Yep I tried it - I assume that what you have is a double sided card. Well at card size most of the text is diffuclt to read - not impossible - but tricky.
    +1, I can tell by not even printing that the font will be too small for the back part of the card. If it was me, I'd dot point it a little more which would encourage them to either talk to you more, or have a look on your website where you would have a portfolio of images.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with William re the text I find it impossible to read at card size.
    Cheers
    Keith.
    Last edited by Speedway; 18-09-2012 at 1:09am.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your comments, they are much appreciated. I am printerless at the moment and I guess it showed.

Amended versions - 2 fronts and a back with reduced words and increased font size.

for-ap.jpg

Re the Hasselblad lens, I first used the camera, and an image of it, on my business cards and invoices back in the 1980s. I still shoot with the H2, and medium format Mamiya as well. I have Canon gear but am moving more and more to the medium format. So I'm using the gear I use for my image.

I straightened that dawn image with the grid in PS and it still looks off!

So, which front and is the back OK now?

Thanks again
    Last edited by Analog6; 18-09-2012 at 8:22am.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achee View Post
    Also, the aspect ratio seems non-standard, to me, but I guess you know what you're doing there.
    Oh, I finally get it, that was a front AND back

I reckon the "O" and "dille" on the front are a bit mis-aligned.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try http://www.clickbusinesscards.com Much easier and you can put your own logo into their on-line card designer. Good quality and great service.

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
    Try http://www.clickbusinesscards.com Much easier and you can put your own logo into their on-line card designer. Good quality and great service.
    I particularly didn't want an in card designer, I wanted something individual. That is the company I am going to use for the cards, and this fits their template (DESIGN 288 under Option 2) for your own design. Thanks for the suggestion though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by achee View Post
    Oh, I finally get it, that was a front AND back

I reckon the "O" and "dille" on the front are a bit mis-aligned.
    I thought that too but it is typed as one piece of text in Photoshop, so it has lined it up. I've tried other fonts but this is the one I really like and have been using for a couple of years now as a 'signature', so I don't want to change it.
    Last edited by Analog6; 18-09-2012 at 8:48am.

Ausphotography Veteran
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Much better Odille, just increase the font size for the web and email addresses on the front as these are still a little hard to read at card size, for my old eyes anyway.
    Cheers
    Keith.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kerning and leading/tracking... it needs to be fixed. It hurtses my eyes.

Sorry, it's something I got picked on a lot about whilst I was doing my dip in graphic design. Now it's just one of the first things I see before anything else.

Fiddle with the spacing between the lettering on the front of the card to even it up... it'll flow better. Small things but big enough to notice. (Can PM you how to do this in Photoshop if you like.) Of course, just my 2c - feel free to ignore me if you like it the way it is.
    [- Instagram -]

Nikon Slave... (D90 & D300S)
    -- CCs extremely welcome, further editing of my photos is not. Thanks!

Ausphotography Addict
    Threadstarter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    The kerning and leading/tracking... it needs to be fixed. It hurtses my eyes.

Sorry, it's something I got picked on a lot about whilst I was doing my dip in graphic design. Now it's just one of the first things I see before anything else.

Fiddle with the spacing between the lettering on the front of the card to even it up... it'll flow better. Small things but big enough to notice. (Can PM you how to do this in Photoshop if you like.) Of course, just my 2c - feel free to ignore me if you like it the way it is.
    I know how to do it, Erin, I used to do ad work for a newspaper using PS and inDesign, but that is unaltered as the spacing comes for the font itself. I'll have another play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great. One question though - you've listed two phone numbers. Is the landline your home number? If so, will it be obvious (ie. will the kids answer that phone with giggles etc). If it's going to come across as unprofessional, may be better to just go with the mobile phone number.

Ausphotography Regular
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post

Amended versions - 2 fronts and a back with reduced words and increased font size. . .
    So, which front and is the back OK now?
    The back is way too cluttered for efficiency, IMO: I would have many fewer words printed on the back.

The Front, designates you are a Landscape Photographer who maybe can also do other things if requested. . . that's how I see the GP will view that Business Card.

Is that what you want?

WW
    Last edited by William W; 16-10-2012 at 9:16am. Reason: spelling mistake corrected

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your second version is pretty close to the mark. As has been pointed out, the people reading your card will generally not be photographers themselves, so the brand of your lenses is irrelevant, and I quite like the Hasselblad name ! It's something different, and for the people that will look at the card will probably not even be something they look twice at ! The wording on the back also is looking much better in version two. Also as a personal preference, I like the landscape image that you have added in version 2 the best, the one on the left

The one thing I have noticed, after someone mentioning your two phone numbers... is the home number there your actual number, or just written for the purpose of showing the card on here ? Wondering if your area code, being NSW actually is "07" or if that is a typo.