User Tag List

Thanks useful information Thanks useful information:  4

Thread: Anyone got any ideas? 60D flash won't crank up!

Ausphotography Regular Geoff Port's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone got any ideas? 60D flash won't crank up!

Hey guys and gals,
    when I first aquired my new 60D the onboard flash worked perfectly when needed. Now I can't get it to operate automatically, I have to push the flash button on the front left of the body. No doubt I have changed a setting somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it. I've read all there is to be read in the manual regarding flashes numerous times to no avail. Now its no real big deal as I don't need the auto flash much anyway and as I said I can operate it manually but I WOULD like to know what I have done to affect the change.
    Any ideas gratefully accepted.
    Last edited by Geoff Port; 13-09-2012 at 9:32pm.
    Geoff Portbury owns,

EOS 60D and a couple of lenses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It only pops up automatically if you are in Auto (green square) mode. If you are in AV, M, TV etc it won't pop up. Have you progressed from Auto mode since you bought it??
    Last edited by Old Skool; 13-09-2012 at 10:00pm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto what he ^ said.
    Only works auto in Auto mode, but that's why I don't use Auto. It drove me mad constantly popping up because it THINKS the shot is too dark etc.
    If I want an "Auto" type of setting, I use "P" so that I can control the damned flash.
    Canon EOS 60D ..... EFS 18-200mm f/3.5 - 5.6 IS - 430 EXII Speedlite - "eBay special" Remote Control Unit - Manfrotto 190XPROB w 804RC2 head.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Russell and Ez beat me to it. Pretty sure it explains that in the manual somewhere, though I ain't gunna go and check.
    "Enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't." bobt
    Canon 80D, 60D, Canon 28-105, Sigma 150-600S.

Ausphotography Regular
    Threadstarter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doh!!!!! Thankyou one and all. I have never used it on auto intentionally. Must have arrived set on auto. Charged the battery, took a couple of shots then went straight to AV. Couldn't find any mention of it in the 323 page manual Mark. Incidently, the boxed manual is so small that my tired old eye just couldn't read it so I downloaded it and printed it out in A4 size. Much more betterest.
    Thanks again.

Ausphotography irregular Mark L's Avatar
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Page 129 (of the 323 page manual), the very first page of the chapter titled "Flash Photography."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great to see AP doing its job, and the members helping each other out. This is what the site is all about! Thanks
    "It is one thing to make a picture of what a person looks like, it is another thing to make a portrait of who they are" - Paul Caponigro

Constructive Critique of my photographs is always appreciated
    Nikon, etc!

RICK
    My Photography